Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aged mung beans

I found a 3+ years out-of-date opened pack of dry mung beans forgotten in my pantry:

mung1.jpg

They still looked good and I live in a dry climate with no bugs inside houses, so I decided to soak them overnight. The next day, I cooked the bulk of them, but set a few beans apart on a piece of humidified kitchen roll. Sure enough, they started to germinate the next day:

mung2.jpg

Boy, these suckers are resilient! I’ll be able to add them to my salad after 2-3 more days. And the ones I cooked were just fine. Eating them cold with a tad of olive oil and some fresh coriander.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

I'm surprised after 3 years!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you just eat the sprout or the whole sprouted bean?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thats awesome.  No need in wasting them just because of a date.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, it looks like if stored in a dry place sheltered from light, dry beans will basically keep forever.

@MagsOnTheBeach: I ate mostly the sprouts, but didn’t bother to detach the remaining part of the original bean (= empty shell) if it were still attached to them. Here are some instructions on how to sprout mung beans.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

These dates are often a result of legislation and laws.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

@Dominique wrote:

Yes, it looks like if stored in a dry place sheltered from light, dry beans will basically keep forever.

@MagsOnTheBeach: I ate mostly the sprouts, but didn’t bother to detach the remaining part of the original bean (= empty shell) if it were still attached to them. Here are some instructions on how to sprout mung beans.

Cool.  I think I'm going to give this a try.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes