Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alpha Gal Meat Allergy and Dietary restrictions

Hello everyone,

This is is my first post. I am an avid sportsman with a passion for creative recipes!

I work in agriculture - specifically Fresh and processed produce like sweet potatoes, beets, watermelons, Squash, pumpkin, and more.

I was was diagnosed with “Alpha Gal” meat allergy, which has made me severely allergic to mammalian meat and by products. This have severely restricted what I can eat, and has forced me to really focus on healthy and clean ingredients.

Curious if any others have this disease! Or deals with other dietary restrictions like it?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @AlphaGalAlrgy Welcome to the Forums. I am not familiar with Alpha Gal meat allergy. Does also limit your ability to have dairy? I have a friend Sarah who is a professional food coach/chef who has some amazing whole food recipes that might be of interest and help to you. You can find her HERE. Good luck to you on your journey and I hope to see updates from you on your progress and tips to other who might have the same diagnosis. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

Yes, I have the alpha-gal allergy. I was diagnosed 4-5 yeas ago after a tick bite. 

I have had several tick bites since (I love hiking and mountain biiking) and unfortunately my most recent numbers are way higher than any before.

A good place to discuss this allergy is at www.dangerredmeat.com

Theer is a great July 2018 NYT article on the allergy at https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/magazine/what-the-mystery-of-the-tick-borne-meat-allergy-could-re...

hth,

BL.

Best Answer
0 Votes

An alpha gal allergy is caused by a bite from a certain kind of tick. As far as I know, folks who are affected can eat birds and sea creatures. I haven't heard it affecting their ability to consume dairy, so it must be something in the muscle fiber of the animals.

I once read a story on one of those clickbaity sites about a dog groomer who went to the hospital with a bad allergic reaction after eating a roast beef sandwich. Turns out she had gotten bitten by that kind of tick and developed an allergy to beef.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Correct, it is caused through a tick bite. The science surrounding this syndrome is new and not much is known.

Something in the biome of the tick or its saliva causes the host to become deeply allergic to red meat.

It has been noted that the allergy can disappear after 3-5 years if the person is not bitten again by tick.

Yes, this sounds click-baity but it really is a thing.

Check out NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/magazine/what-the-mystery-of-the-tick-borne-meat-allergy-could-re...

and www.sdangerredmeat.com for more info.

Like the OP I am medically diagnosed with alpha-gal allergy.

bl

Best Answer
0 Votes