Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Nutritarians Out There?

Hello, I was wondering if there are any fellow Nutritarians out there?  If you are unfamiliar with the term, a nutritarian is someone who bases their diet on the most nutrient dense foods available.  It is based on the work of Dr. Joel Fuhrman who has written many books on the topic.  

Hope to meet a few here,

Donna

Best Answer
147 REPLIES 147

Whole Food Plant Based Diet Guide (Source for current topic)

@Bogdel@ScottHsv

Bogdel, thanks for the link to the Ben and Jerry's documentary. Your salad sounds great. Can you post a picture?

@ScottHsv,

I read in another post of yours that you have three kids and another on the way. You must have quite a grocery bill! I'm betting we can reduce it enough to make a car payment.

I did do a walkaround at King Soopers yesterday. They have an excellent produce section. I was going to go over a label from a Lean Cuisine, but fell back on "Dr. Campbell said not to eat them." They cost about $2.00 for 300 calories or about $13.33 for 2,000 calories. That's about the same as eating fast food. 

There was a four-pound bag of pinto beans at King Soopers. It cost $3.99. It had 60 servings at 90 calories apiece. That's 5,400 calories or $1.44 for 2,000 calories. It's about the same for rice, oatmeal, barley, couscous, quinoa, dehydrated peas, dehydrated lentils, etc. My typical meal has about 120-250 calories of these or about $0.15.  Check out the dehydrated food for sales each time you go to the store. More on expenses when we get to that topic.

I spent some time in front of the spice rack. They are getting expensive! Try a natural foods store where they sell them in plastic bags for much less.

While I walked through the dead zone, I couldn't help but notice the buzz words that jumped out. Like "low-fat" for foods that are just under 30% fat or "sugar-free" for foodlike products that have a chemical sweetener and a long list of unknown chemicals. So, I decided to write a list of buzzwords for a meal I made.

Gershon's Home-Cooked HEARTy Bean SoupGershon's Home-Cooked HEARTy Bean Soup

High-Protein, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Low Fat, Flax meal for Omega 3, Low Glycemic index, High in Anti-oxidants, 15 Nutrient-Dense Vegetables, High-Fiber, Kale, No preservatives, etc.

Best Answer

@GershonSurge wrote:

@ScottHsv,

I decided to release the macro distraction now so you don't have to wait.

I input a meal into Fitbit. I used breakfast so the picture would be smaller. Note the macros before scrolling past the picture. I could go crazy trying to adjust the macros to 80/10/10, but it's a pointless reductionist exercise. I'll explain why below the picture.

1 breakfast.JPG

Let's say I eat this four times during the day for a total of 2,080 calories. Suppose I burn 2,980 calories. Where do the extra 900 calories come from? From what I call my famine reserve. I'd just burn 900 calories from body fat or 100 grams.

Let's put seven tablespoons (1.75/meal) of olive oil in the menu as it's pure fat. Watch what happens to the macros the body actually consumes. 

Look at that! Now our "diet" is up to 33% fat. The difference is the body meters the excess fat burned in precisely the manner it wants to. There shouldn't be any overload to the system as there isn't that instant hit to the blood that a person gets consuming say...a hamburger. 

2 breakfast.JPG

d

Wow @GershonSurge thanks for the illustration! I see your point but this also confirms what I have been noticing, that even a small amount of processed foods will contribute significantly to overall fat in my diet. Basically, to hit the level described by Dr. Campbell, you really do have to eliminate all extracted oils and processed foods.

Fitbits: One, Blaze, Charge 4, Aria 2 Scale
Reasons to Fitbit: Kendra, Elizabeth, Katherine, Charlotte, Evelyn, and Susannah
Best Answer

@GershonSurge wrote:

@Bogdel@ScottHsv

Bogdel said:

Making changes takes time, and we need to stay motivated through reading and being part of a like-minded community, such as this. 

Lately, I've been reading about behavioral therapy. It's a tangent, so I won't cover it in depth. Basically, the few studies I've read show that people lose minimal weight even over five years with a support group. The flaw in the studies is they don't reference a way of eating, but I think the concept of continued research and a support group is true. I've found like-minded groups function best when the focus is on the source material, and they focus on what the writer said. I suggest we focus on Dr. Campbell's page and study it in depth.

This morning, I noticed there are three tabs on top of the page referencing foods to eat. There is a tab for foods to eat sparingly and foods to avoid.

Learning works best when it's immediately followed by action. It also works best when small steps are taken on the way to the ultimate goal. I suggest a supermarket excursion based on the video on the page. Outline the walkthrough in the video before going and duplicate it. Take pictures along the way. Some stores don't allow this, but I figure it's better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. If challenged, tell the truth. Then bore the security guard with a long dissertation about Whole Food Plant Based eating.

For those that make the excursion, post comments here. Tilt them towards your favorite plant-based way of eating if you like. 

Wow @GershonSurge, @Bogdel there are so many good topics here I'm starting to think we need individual threads to explore them all. On the topic of behavior, I highly encourage you to check out Dr. Susan Thompson's book Bright Line Eating. The audiobook is excellent and not expensive. I have to be careful recommending this because in the past people thought I was selling her program. I'm not affiliated in an way except that I have gone through and been helped tremendously by the program. In addition her book has become one of my absolute favorites on the subject. I have probably listened to it 3 times over in the past couple of months. My background is in biology and biochemistry, not psychology, so I'm a bit out of my field. But, in short if you are depending on willpower and motivation to power yourself to health, you are setting yourself up for failure. The field of psychology has finally shown that willpower is a thing that can be measured in a controlled setting. But in a series of fascinating experiments thay also found that it was a depletable resource. In short, your willpower will absolutely fail you eventually. This causes the yo-yo dieting that most people experience. Her solution is not novel but it does work tremendously well. This Dr knows addiction well because she is both a recovered drug addict and a recovered food addict who has gone on to earn her PhD and become an adjunct associate professor of brain and cognitive sciences at the University of Rochester. At any rate, there is so much more to the subject if your interested. I have barely scratched the surface; give the book a listen or a read. I'm sure it's not for everyone but for me at least it was like reading a book written about myself. I was shocked.

Reasons to Fitbit: Kendra, Elizabeth, Katherine, Charlotte, Evelyn, and Susannah
Best Answer

@GershonSurge

Thanks for the soup picture and the log demonstration on the difference 1.75 tbs of processed oil makes. Your soup looks really hearty and delicious. Today I plan to make a new batch of my base salad, and will post a picture, as well. As far as oils, I stopped using them a couple of years ago (with very rare exceptions!). Typically, I don't eat breakfast for three reasons:

1) I learned about the value of intermittent fasting, which gives our liver a chance to complete the detox process before reloading it with new food (Dr. Fuhrman's suggestion is to leave 12-16 hours between dinner and breakfast). 

2) I tend to be a night owl, and I don't get up early enough to separate my breakfast from lunch.

3) When I do break-fast, the caloric load is a bit too high for me (approx. 375 cal). I try to take in less than 1000 cals./day, while still ensuring that I get all the nutrients that I need for the day. My caloric deficit needs to be about 750 cals in order to loose weight. 

I am pretty close to my ideal weight right now, although I am still trying to figure out what that ideal weight is. So, my next goals is to loose another 6 lbs, and see how that feels/looks. 

@ScottHsv, thanks for the reference on behavioral therapy. I buy a lot of audio-books, as well. Please, don't worry about being misunderstood. I appreciate it when people offer resources and suggestions, and I always look for good books to read and learn from. I am reading Whole right not (recommended by @GershonSurge), and The Brain's Way of Healing. Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity, By: Norman DoidgeBright Line Eating is probably going to be my next audio-book. 

I was wondering, does any of you use Stevia as a sweetener? 

Have a great day, both of you!

Best Answer

Hey @Bogdel, Dr. Greger recommends no more than two Stevie sweetened beverages per day. His reservation is based on the possible production of a toxic by product, steviol, resulting from microbial metabolism of steviosides in the microbiome. Basically stevia is not toxic to us, but once our gut bacteria get ahold of it, they produce steviol, a mutagenic compound.

However, Dr. Susan Thompson makes a more convincing argument to stay away from stevia and any other non-calorie it even caloric sweetener. It does two things. One, it completely breaks the mind-body connection between the taste buds and your body's insulin response. In other words, she reports that even the sweet taste of stevia will cause an insulin response in the body as it prepares for a bolus of sweetened calories. That insulin response is damaging simply because we (especially those of us in the US) are so oversaturated with sugar and insulin that it still contributes to insulin resistance and metabolic diseases.

Lastly, the ultra sweet taste still releases dopamine in the brain contributing to an addictive response to these foods.

I personally don't use stevia or any other sweetener other than banana's and the occasional date as long as it's ground and diluted in the food so as to only create a very slight sweetness.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer

@Bogdel@ScottHsv,

We are starting to form a Mastermind as described by Napoleon Hill in "Think and Grow Rich", and more completely in "The Laws of Success in Sixteen Lessons." A Mastermind is formed when two or more people work together in perfect harmony to overcome obstacles and achieve a definite goal.

A Mastermind is an entirely new mind that behaves as if all the members are connected by some mysterious method of communication. Maybe it's brain waves, maybe it's something else. The mechanism doesn't matter. 

The ideas detonate exponentially.

• 1 person gets 1 idea
  • 2 people get 4 ideas.
  • 3 people get 9 ideas 
  • 4 people get 16 ideas
  • 5 people get 32 ideas
  • 6 people get 64 ideas
  • 7 people get 128 ideas

It's only natural we are starting to bring ideas from other sources. The thing we need to sort out is where should our current focus be? 

Every animal does a cost-benefit analysis (Doug LIsle How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind) before taking action.

Why did the chicken cross the road?

1. To avoid getting eaten by the fox.
  2. There is an available chicken on the other side.
  3. The food is better on the other side.

That's it. The three motivations for animals, including humans. Call it:

1. Pain avoidance.

2. Sexual attractions at all levels including social harmony and acceptance.

3. To get better food.

@Bogdelis concerned with a physical issue as I am.

I need to eat on a tight budget or I won't be able to live (pain avoidance). I also like the better food.

@ScottHsvlists his family in his signature. He also focused on willpower.

All the plant-based food giants consciously address these three motivators. Willpower will drop entirely out of the equation. Does it take willpower to breathe?

Dr. Cambell mentioned cost. I gave a specific example in a previous post.

The other day, I was standing in line at Capt. D's restaurant to order a WFPB meal. I got to talking to a 73-year woman and we started bantering when the cashier said I didn't look nearly old enough for a senior discount. I won't go into details, but I asked her what her sign was, and she said, "Who cares, want to see my shos?" We laughed and went on our way.  

I'm starting to post pictures of delicious easy-to-make meals to show how the food is better on the other side. 

I suggest when we bring in other sources, we limit ourselves to one step away and bring back an idea that keeps us in Dr. Campbell's site.

Gershon's HEARTily Smiling Soft-Shell TacoGershon's HEARTily Smiling Soft-Shell Taco

Best Answer
fascinating....I stopped Stevia about 6 weeks ago...I am getting used to
coffee and things without it. Interestingly, I pick up "sweet" in almond
milk and raw almonds. Food is beginning to taste better...hard to describe
tho.

My biggest challenges remain overeating and eating too late in the evening.
However, because my diet is so good now, I have kept any weight off and I
feel good. Somehow tho, I need to take the final steps and correct my
portions and stop eating aft 6, which is hard when I get home at 6 pm.
Best Answer

@DiabetesFree@Bogdel

Recently approved by the FDA, stevia is made from the leaves of a South American shrub and can be labeled natural.

The use of noncaloric sweeteners as a calorie-restriction strategy continues to be criticized by scientists. 32 It has been suggested that consuming something with a sweet taste primes the body for a calorie delivery that doesn’t happen. As a result, users of no-calorie sweeteners just seek more sweets to satisfy the body’s cravings. Noncaloric sweeteners signal the body that sugar is on the way and stimulate the pancreas to secrete insulin, which is not favorable.

Fuhrman, Joel. Eat to Live: The Amazing Nutrient-Rich Program for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss (Kindle Locations 5236-5239). Little, Brown and Company. Kindle Edition.

Here is how I sweeten oatmeal. I made it just before I responded.

Gershon's Healthy  Heart, NATUREly Sweetened Steel-cut Oatmeal with a Banana Surprise on the BottomGershon's Healthy Heart, NATUREly Sweetened Steel-cut Oatmeal with a Banana Surprise on the Bottom

Best Answer
Really fascinating. Only about 6 years ago my endocrinologist lmk non sugar
sweeteners had no impact whatsoever on insulin production and therefore
were okay.

I follow Fuhrman closely and ha e abandoned them all together. As noted
above, it's not that hard after a while, bit my mind remembers how good it
tasted....thus far I've beat the urges easily.
--
Thank you, Mark
Best Answer

@GershonSurge@DiabetesFree

Thanks for your reply. Like you, I no longer use (or crave!) sweeteners in my food (except for the fruit and berries that I eat, pretty much every day). I am also familiar with Fuhrman's position and reasoning on Stevia, or any other "sugar free" sweeteners (that sounds like a paradox, doesn't it?). However, occasionally, when I have to go somewhere early in the morning and I didn't sleep enough, I have a cup of coffee, which I simply don't like bitter. That's pretty much the only time I use stevia. 

Fuhrman has some delicious pastries that he makes with rolled oats, nuts, and, for sweetening, he uses dates. I made them a couple of times, and they can be pretty addictive. The sweet taste keeps inviting me to have some more. So, I stopped making them. I do make some of his puddings, sherbets, and ice creams occasionally. Those are quick and easy, and the recipe is usually for 1-2 servings per person. 

Now, let me share my salad picture, with add-on options, when served: 

Nutritarian Salad, with Add-on options when served.Nutritarian Salad, with Add-on options when served.

Best Answer

@ScottHsv, Thanks for taking time to respond so thoroughly. It does help a LOT! It also makes a lot of sense. One more reason to read Dr. Susan Thompson's book, Bright Line Eating. 

So... here is another thing that I need to get rid of (smiling). Maybe, if I don't use stevia,  I can also get rid of coffee, completely - double gain! (coffee, which I only drink occasionally, is the only place where I use stevia, because I don't like it bitter). 

Have a great day!

Best Answer

@DiabetesFree, Congrats on removing stevia from your diet! I need to follow your example. 

From my understanding, you are familiar with Dr. Fuhrman's nutritarian principles. As you know, he suggests that, as long as we make salad our main dish, and eat a lot of it, there is no need to reduce portion size. Green leaves are full of fito-nutrients and fiber, and are very filling, without the calories. If we add some beans to it every day, it's even better. I try to include the G-BOMBS balance as much as possible, on the daily basis. 

@GershonSurge, I believe that Dr. Campbell's dietary principles are as close as any other to Dr. Fuhrman's. I hope that my reference to Dr. Fuhrman does not appear like I am going away from the WFPB foods. Oh, I just remember, although Dr. Fuhrman advocates for WFPB diet, he does allow a limited amount of animal products (10%) for those who choose to keep that, mostly because he is aware that some people do not renounce meat completely. 

Yes, this group is turning into something very constructive. I guess, birds of a feather flock together. Keep posting those dish pictures. They are inspiring, although... that tortilla... what is that made of (wink)? 

Best Answer

@Bogdel,

The ideas are popping up so quickly, it's going to take a few posts to catch up. I'll start with the simplest and then get some sleep.

"They are inspiring, although... that tortilla... what is that made of (wink)? "

(I like how you pointed this out in fun.)

8″ Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas

Ingredients: organic whole wheat and unbleached white flours, water, organic sunflower oil, baking powder, salt, citric acid, organic malted barley flour
View the Nutritional Info Panel »

"Aha!," the meat eater would say. "You cheated, so I can eat Keto."

I'd reply, "But that's a reductionist attitude that led you to a false conclusion. Look at the Whole Day."

Yes, I did eat a little oil. From the nutrition panel, I can tell it's only a 15th of a tablespoon at most. Yes, I did eat a bit of refined flour, but it's not a large part of the day. The tortillas aren't perfect, but they are the best I can find. In time, I'll learn to make my own.

Subject change:

I'm trying to stay as close as possible to the Nutritarian viewpoint and the overlap with the Whole Food Plant-based Diet. Of course, you can quote Dr. Furhman. In the morning, I'll invite another three experts to the mastermind. 

Time for a picture of tonight's supper. I threw it together without a recipe.

Gershon's "Inspired by the Heart"  Orange you Glad I Made Stir-fry? (No Oil)Gershon's "Inspired by the Heart" Orange you Glad I Made Stir-fry? (No Oil)

Best Answer

@GershonSurge@Bogdel, and @DiabetesFree I agree that the topics are coming up so fast I can't keep up, but I did want to throw my $0.02 on an earlier topic before I forget. On the topic of learning to shop, this is an area that has continually frustrated me over and over. Mainly, because even as "educated" as I have become (or at least think I am), I still get fooled my misleading, confusing, and downright false labeling. Long story short, it all started rather humorously for me a number of years ago, around 2011 or so, at the beginning of my journey as I was crunching away on a bowl of Total Blueberries and Pomegranate cereal (does anyone remember this one?) and happened to look at the ingredient list...turns out there were no actual blueberries or pomegranate in the cereal at all! Just bits of artificially flavored and colored junk in a package of completely processed junk-food cereal. Needless to say I was incensed, angry and felt used. It was not long after that I saw Forks Over Knives and my journey began.

So I didn't mean to divert too much, but did want to bring up one resource that has helped me quite a bit, especially earlier in my journey, and to bring it back on topic like @GershonSurge suggested, check out the videos produced by Jeff Novick, a brilliant and entertaining nutritionist that is a frequent speaker at plant-based events. All of his videos are are available through Dr. McDougall's website and here is the link to the one specifically targeted toward how to shop. 

Jeff Novick's Fast Food, Volume 3: “Shopping School”

Here is another quick example that hit me much more recently. I have been buying original cheerios for my kids based on my understanding that they were whole grain and not sweetened...until the other day when I got to looking and realised that the labeling was very misleading.  The front of the box says in large print, "100% whole grain oats". But I missed the much smaller and finer print that says "made with". Yes, the first ingredient is whole grain oats, but the majority of the rest of the cereal is corn starch, a junk food ingredient that is barely a step above sugar. The third ingredient is sugar. Lastly, there is a whole bunch of cheap vitamins thrown in that probably do more harm than good. I started to really look at this because I noticed that the ratio of carbs to fiber looked off... Geez, these companies go to any length to make a buck, don't they?     

Best Answer

Thanks everyone for your quality posts. I'd like to focus on just one -- @ScottHsv's post on how the advertising  on the front of the box misled him

In my opinion, the most successful lie is 1% low-fat milk. What percentage fat is 1% low-fat milk? Let's look at the real numbers.

Source:

milk 1.JPG

There are 20.8 calories from fat in a 102 calorie serving (1 cup). That's 20% fat. What's the deal here?

Look at the nutrition label information:

milk 2.JPG

On most labels, you won't see the percentage of calories of fat. They did up until a year or two ago, but they removed it so the reader can be more informed (meaning to hide the truth). Fat has 9 calories/gram. Carbs and proteins have four. (2.4 x 9) =21.6 calories. 21.6/102 = 21.1 percent fat.

Let's go back to the carbs. There are 12.7 grams of what must be a simple sugar. In fact, it's all lactose.

4x12.7= 50.8 calories

50.8/102 = 49.8% sugar.

The real lie is the 1% is by weight and not by percentage of total calories as everyone else does. Well, it seems like everyone but the dairy industry. All they do is some form of adding water to reduce their definition of fat percentage. It gets worse for chocolate milk. I'll leave that for someone else to calculate.

The simple lesson is to stay out of the dead zone, and you won't have to worry about this sort of analysis.

Breakfast:

Gershon's Low-Fat Whole Wheat, Peanut Butter and Fruit PancakeGershon's Low-Fat Whole Wheat, Peanut Butter and Fruit Pancake

Recipe:

Put a teflon pan on a burner set at medium for four minutes. Mix batter while you wait.

1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder

54 grams King Arthur's Whole Wheat Flour (The type of flour is important. Some flours have a widely varying moisture content.)

102 grams water.

Cook on first side for 2:40

Cook on second side for 2:30

Don't depend on bubbles forming as on commercial batters as they don't form.

Add a thin layer of peanut butter on top

Add sliced fruit.

I don't normally log food; I just wanted to point out that peanut butter makes this a high-fat meal. I can offset this by having boiled potatoes instead of rice for lunch.

peanut butter pancake nutrition.JPG

54 grams whole wheat flour

Best Answer

@GershonSurge I avoid the 1% milk problem by substituting heavy cream.

Thanks for posting those recipes and pictures - they look delicious.

Best Answer

@Daves_Not_Here,

Thanks for dropping in. You are welcome to make this a regular haunt if you like. We started the discussion with information from this page. I'll summarize for you.

The Whole Food Plant Based diet overlaps with the Nutritarian Diet created by Dr. Fuhrman, the McDougall Diet created by Dr. McDougall, Dr. Esseltyn's way of eating, which is described by his son Rip Esselstyn as well as many books and videos by Dr. Campbell, the Pritikin diet by Nathan Pritikin, Dr. Ken Cooper's, the creator of the term aerobics, and others. Some of these were world-class athletes.

Dr. Campbell's guide to eating is simple:

1. No animal products

2. No added oils

3. No refined flour

4. Eat foods in as close to their natural state as possible. 

Small exceptions are allowed by all the people listed above.

As you pointed out, the food is delicious and can lead to rapid weight loss if a person desires. For instance, I decided to drop from 166 to 160 pounds starting on April 1. Yesterday, I hit 160.2 pounds. I didn't count calories and I was never hungry. The only change I made was waiting until I felt true hunger pangs before I ate. 

We are kind of following a path. We will get to dairy products when it leads there. It will likely take a few months. For now, the important thing is to learn how to follow the way of eating.

Best Answer

Gershon's Orange Zingy HeartGershon's Orange Zingy Heart

I  suggest we move on to Plant-Based Food Guide: How to Eat Well on a Budget. It's one of the FAQ's on the previous page. Don't worry if I didn't pick up your favorite. We will come back and hit all the links on our starting page.

Some people are attracted to this way of eating by delicious looking plates. Others just want to eat without the longer preparation times. I'll address both personalities.

First, the budget. This meal costs about $0.87 cents for about 500 calories. That's only $3.48 per day for 2,000 calories! It doesn't have any fruit, but a person doesn't really need much fruit if they are trying to lose weight. The same nutrients are in vegetables. Still, it's easy to add fruit and stay under $5.00/2000 calories.

Recipe:

Rice with orange zing. Use a hand-held cheese grater to grate just a little orange peel into the rice. You can also use lemon or lime.

By a little, I mean about this much: ||||||||||| 

Put it in the water while you cook the rice. It will give little bursts of orange flavor whenever the bite includes a bit of zest.

This time, I added 1/4 cup of uncooked dehydrated peas to two cups of uncooked rice for a bit of added protein and some taste variety.

I used 4 1/2 cups of water. To scale, use twice the volume of the rice and peas together.

I used kidney beans for this recipe. Any kind is fine. I made them from dry beans, but canned are fine. Rinse canned beans to get out about half of the salt.

The vegetables are my 13 vegetable mix vegetables I grated in the food processor. I heated them in the microwave for 40 seconds so the cold vegetables didn't clash with the hot rice and beans.

The little rings are a couple onion stalks. It's easiest to cut them with scissors.

I put a little Siracha sauce on top.

Now for the basic cooker. Mix the rice, beans and vegetables in a big pot and make enough for a day. Eat some whenever you get hunger pangs. You can't overeat on this way of eating if you start with hunger pangs and stop when you start to feel full. No need to count calories or anything. There are exceptions I'll discuss in another post.

This meal is as good cold as it is hot. @DiabetesFree, I think this type of meal may be a solution to your coming home at 6 o'clock problem. Don't worry about being 10 or 15 minutes short on your not eating within three hours of going to bed.

@ScottHsv, for kids, serve family style and let everyone take what they want of each ingredient. All of them have complete proteins, so it doesn't matter what they choose. Make sure there is enough for leftovers. 

@Bogdel, thanks for the picture on your previous post. This recipe leans towards McDougall. It can easily be adjusted. You can add flax meal and have some berries on the side.

Optional activity: Duplicate a personal version of this plate and post a picture. Or post a picture of your own creation following the rules of your plant-based way of eating. @Daves_Not_Here, I think you can do this by eliminating the rice and using beans and nuts instead of meat.

Best Answer
That's a great idea. Thanks!
--
Thank you, Mark
Best Answer

@GershonSurge, I really like the direction that this group is taking. Thank you! 

Truth is, apart from the fact that I am more conservative on starch, I feel totally comfortable with Dr. Campbell's principles of a healthy diet. So, instead of starch, I will continue to use any variety of beans available. As for the cost, who wouldn't want to get the best for the least amount of money? 

So, inspired by Dr. Campbell's Shopping List chart, I drafted one of my own in Ms. Excel (see below). On a different tab, I also drafted a Weekly Meal Plan Chart, which includes Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. Personally, I rarely eat breakfast. Based on Dr. F's recommendations, I make salad my main meal, both for lunch and dinner. For dinner, I usually add some kind of cooked food. Here's my chart.

Date/WeekLeafy GreensOther VegetablesBeans & LegumesWhole GrainsFruitsNuts & Seeds

Week 1(See Week's Meal Plan)      
 KaleCellerySplit pees (dry)Wild riseBlueberries (frozen)Fax Seeds
 ParseleyCarrotsBeans (any kind)Rolled OatsApplesWalnuts
 ArugalaMushroomsPees (frozen)Chia Seeds Cashew
 SpinachBroccoli Corn (frosen) Almonds
 Lettuce    Chia Seeds
Week 2(See Week's Meal Plan)     

Week 3(See Week's Meal Plan)     

Week 4(See Week's Meal Plan)     

Best Answer