Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Nutritarians Out There?

Hello, I was wondering if there are any fellow Nutritarians out there?  If you are unfamiliar with the term, a nutritarian is someone who bases their diet on the most nutrient dense foods available.  It is based on the work of Dr. Joel Fuhrman who has written many books on the topic.  

Hope to meet a few here,

Donna

Best Answer
147 REPLIES 147

@GershonSurge, Here we go! Another smiley dish. I think I'd like the recipe for this one. Would you be willing to share? 

Best Answer

@Bogdel,

Here is the recipe. I don't follow recipes, so it will be different next time.

Dry Beans (any kind) - Cooked in a small crockpot. This will make plenty of extra beans.

• 1 cup beans
  • sprinkle cayenne pepper, chile pepper, and cumin on top
  • three cloves garlic
  • three cups boiling water (I use boiling water to reduce cooking time)
  • Set on low for 5 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. (I live at 4,700 feet, so your cooking time may be less.)

Rice - in a one-liter pot. Cook covered. This will make plenty of extra rice.

• 1 cup rice
  • 1/4 cup dehydrated split peas
  • 2 1/2 cups water

Bring to a boil on high. (Takes about 4:20)

Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer rice for 44 minutes. Sometimes the heat needs to be reduced to between low and medium-low. Do not remove cover while cooking. 

Drain and fluff rice.

Making taco 

• Offset ingredients to left
  • add rice, beans, grated vege-mix and half a slice of diced pineapple
  • fold taco to right using your right hand to keep stuff from spilling out
  • add three slices of tomato on top.
  • place on a pan with parchment paper on it.
  • cook at 410 degrees (F) for 18 minutes
  • microwave for one minute
  • Use scissors to cut flakes of fresh parsley

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you, @GershonSurge! I will definitely follow your recipe. 

Have a great weekend!

Best Answer

Here is my latest creation. It was unexpectedly scrumptious.

pancake mix

• 54 grams whole wheat flour
  • 104 grams water
  • 1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder

Slice and then crush one ring of a pineapple. Don't forget to cut the core out.

Warm pan for 4:30 on medium. Cook pancake for 2:40 on first side and 2:30 on the second side. These down brown much and taste bland by themselves.

Microwave the pineapple by itself for one minute.

Spread on pancake when it is ready.

Make the design with mandarin orange and grapes

Microwave for 1:30 to bring out the sweetness.

Protein!  (hehe)

18 04 27 1442.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @GershonSurge@Bogdel@DiabetesFree and @Water_Dog! I've been following these recipes closely and doing a lot of thinking lately. You are both really challenging me to rethink my whole eating plan to make it as close as possible to genuine WFPB! In fact, because you have challenged me to go back and re-look at the principles outlined by Dr. Campbell I've realized that I have been making some serious mistakes. In addition, I'm very seriously thinking about joining the Forks Over Knives cooking course mentioned on the web site:

Learn to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home

I'm already making some changes. In fact, last night, I had my first real hit with my kids that I have had in a while....Dreena Burton's sneaky chickpea burgers!

Sneaky Chickpea Burgers

Sneaky Chickpea Burgers.jpg

I still have so much more I want to discuss with you all! More to come...

Fitbits: One, Blaze, Charge 4, Aria 2 Scale
Reasons to Fitbit: Kendra, Elizabeth, Katherine, Charlotte, Evelyn, and Susannah
Best Answer

One more post...this is my standard breakfast that I have literally every morning. The only variation is that I use whatever fresh or frozen fruit we have on hand at the time. The standard base is steel cut quick oatmeal (36 grams or 1/4 cup), 26 grams of ground flax (1.5 ounces), and 0.5 ounces of walnuts. This morning the fruit topping was Wyman's Cherry Berry Plumb with Cacao Nibs (140 grams) that contains blueberries, strawberries, and of course plumbs and of cacao nibs, followed by fresh picked (yesterday) strawberries and a 1/2 of a sliced banana. I usually get extra Dr. Greger Daily Dozen check marks for sprinkling Pumpkin Pie spice on top for an extra boost of antioxidants (but I forgot it today). Pumpkin Pie spice is a mixture of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves and is an absolutely delicious addition to oatmeal.  

Thanks to my professional strawberry picker for leaving me some to put in my oatmeal!   

Strawberry Oatmeal Breakfast.jpg

Reasons to Fitbit: Kendra, Elizabeth, Katherine, Charlotte, Evelyn, and Susannah
Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge@Bogdel and anyone else that can offer an opinion. This is where we struggle the most in my family. There has been a lot of discussion here on focusing on high nutrient dense but low calorie plant foods. Things like spinach and squash are fantastic choices for an adult that is trying to gain health and lose weight because they fill up your stomach with low calorie-density and high nutrient-density foods. But that is great for adults! For kids, who are growing bodies and brains, they need foods that are both high calorie-dense and nutrient-dense! Foods like earth balance, avocados, nuts and seeds are things that I need to minimize (or in the case of earth balance completely eliminate) but my kids need to maximize (to whatever extent they want...they tend to self-regulate really well). 

So you can see the source of the problem already. Almost every single meal in my house have has to be one meal for the adults and then cook an entirely separate meal for the kids. We have generally gotten smart about it, i.e. if we bake a sweet potato, the kids get to load it up with Earth Balance etc. but it is still a struggle. 

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears!

Best Answer

@ScottHsv,

It's not a problem. It's an opportunity!

All you have to do for higher calories is shift the balance to stapes like rice, beans, corn, lentils, potatoes, quinoa, barley, oatmeal, etc. Same meal. Different portion sizes. One meal with two pots. Take as much as you want from each. 

Avocados are mostly fat. They aren't needed or even useful that I can tell.

Don't worry a protein. It always works out good enough. 

Earth balance, if that's the buttery spread, is mostly fat. Wouldn't touch it. You could try making a crushed bean spread with some hot pepper, or onions, or jalapeno peppers or whatever.

Tip: If you put fruit on or in pancakes or oatmeal, heat it in the microwave a minute just before serving. It brings out the sweetness in the fruit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Deconstructed Shepherd's Pie. 

Deconstructed means a person tried to make one dish and things fell apart, so they made another dish. In this case, I accidentally added too much bean stock to the potatoes when I started to mash them. This was a better tasting choice.

Boiled potato partially mashed, grated vege-pot and kidney beans.

18 04 27 1823.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Started ETL on the recommendation of a good friend. My goal was to get in shape in time for an early retirement. Retired 4 weeks ago. Feeling great and down 72 lbs on ETL. We enjoy Fuhrman’s recipes and recently we like recipes by Fatmanrants, a former 400 lb guy and now he runs Ultra marathons.

Best Answer

This may be a good place to buy bulk beans (25 lb) at 20% or more off the store price. 

I've started storing beans and other staples in canning jars. I have a place in my kitchen where I can put a bookshelf to store them. Kind of like a wine rack, only healthier. For those without space, the extra jars could be stored elsewhere. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ScottHsv, I just read your messages. I remember Dr. Fuhrman talking about children. Let me see if I can locate that and pass it on to you. Right now I am listening to the first day of the Food Revolution Summit, where John Robbins interviews Dr. Michael Greger, MD and Dr. Joel Fuhrman. In case you are able to listen, I am sending the link here. 

https://www.foodrevolutionsummit.org/replays/

I will be back in touch on Nutritarian lifestyle for children and youth. 

Best Answer

Potato, Pinto Bean and Corn Soup

DSCN2102.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Cafeteria  Style

I decided to go cafeteria style for awhile, so people have a better idea of the ingredients. As I understand it, The major difference between Dr. McDougall and Dr. Fuhrman for those losing weight  is Dr. Fuhrman would put some nuts in the empty spot. 

DSCN2109.jpg

Best Answer

@GershonSurge, That looks great, @GershonSurge! You just need to feel that empty spot (smiling). Nuts would give you the healthy fat and help assimilate the nutrients from the other sections better. However, seeds would do the job, too. What about some flax or chia seeds? 

Best Answer

For those interested, this is the second day of Food Revolution Summit - Brain Health. The kink is on for only 21 hours. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s_egy9Aqpc

Day 2: 7th Annual, 2018 Food Revolution Summit Brain Health: Keep Your Mind Healthy at Every Stage of Life Join the Conversation: https://www.foodrevolutionsummit.org/broadcasts/?utm_source=youtube&utm_campaign=day_02 Host: Ocean Robbins John Robbins Interviews: Dale Bredesen, MD - The End of ...
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ScottHsv, Here is something you may want to try for your kids and family:Nutritarian Chocolate Ice-CreamNutritarian Chocolate Ice-Cream

Nutritarian Home Made Chocolate Ice Cream - Quick, Easy, and Delicious!

I just made it this evening, using Dr. Fuhrman's recipe. Totally nutritarian! Totally delicious!  

@GershonSurge & Friends, you may like this one, too. My husband and I certainly did.

Here's the recipe for 2 servings (adjust the amounts for more servings):

- 2 ripe, frozen bananas (need to be frozen for at least 8 hours)

- 4 regular dates, or 2 medjool dates ( I dice them in advance, because the blender doesn't do a good job at it).

- 1/3 almond milk (or any plant milk, such as soy, hemp, cashew, etc.)

- 1/2 cup walnuts, or any kind of nuts that you have (hazelnuts, cashew, macadamia, etc.)

- 2 tbsp. of natural cacao

Blend all ingredients together until smooth and creamy, and then freeze until firm. I served mine right away, and it was delicious. 

296 calories/serving. Prep time: approx. 5 minutes

BTW, you can replace cacao with vanilla powder, or fruit of your choice (i.e. strawberries), and make a different kind of ice-cream. I will try strawberries next time, since I seam to have plenty of those in the house. 

@ScottHsvI will continue to keep an eye for kid-friendly recipes, although I saw that you found some great ones at Forks over Knives. I am aware that every child is different, but I remember my Mom, when she made some spinach soup (or other green leaves), telling me that the green things in that soup help make red cells in my blood, which is really good for me. While I enjoyed everything that my Mom cooked, knowing that the green leave soups do something good for my body made me especially enjoy it. I wonder if teaching kids early on about the nutritional value of the ingredients used in the food would help them be more willing to develop a taste for it.

As far as balancing the nutrients and calories, I may be wrong, but I tend to believe that what's true for the kids is true for us, as well. We have bigger bodies, but we need the energy as much as they do, because we work and have a lot of responsibilities every day. The secret is to use the right kinds of carbs and un-processed fats (such as we find in nuts and seeds). I know that nuts are extremely important on brain development in children, since they are full of omega-3 (EPA & DHA).  The walnuts have the shape of the brain for a reason. The same goes for carrots (the section of a carrot looks like the eye), the tomato (4 chambers resemble the heart), etc. The nutrients in each plant are designed to meet the needs of specific organs, as well as the needs of the whole body. God gave us a lot of clues about what's good for what when He created plants. But, why am I telling you this. Biochemistry is your expertise, not mine (smiling!).

This evening's session on Food Revolution was on the effect of food on our brain. Three expert doctors and medical researchers kept emphasizing the importance of raising our kids on healthy, WFPB lifestyle. Even if it is a bit more challenging at first, in time, in time, the kids will acquire a taste for healthy food and learn to enjoy it, just as we did. 

Nonetheless, I will continue to keep an eye for something your children may like, and send that info to you. Sounds like you are a great father, and your children are blessed to have you as their Dad.

BTW, thanks for posting pictures of your kids. They are absolutely adorable. 

Best Answer

@ScottHsv, you probably already know this, but just in case, Dr. Fuhrman says that strawberries, spinach, and celery are at the top of the list when it comes to pesticides. I don't find organic strawberries very often, not can I afford them. So, I try to remove as much of the pesticide as possible by soaking my strawberries for 20 minutes in a white vinegar solution (4 parts water, and 1 part white vinegar). 

Here's a link: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+wash+strawberries+to+remove+pesticides&oq=how+to+wash+strawbe...

Have a great week!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bogdel wrote:

@GershonSurge, That looks great, @GershonSurge! You just need to feel that empty spot (smiling). Nuts would give you the healthy fat and help assimilate the nutrients from the other sections better. However, seeds would do the job, too. What about some flax or chia seeds? 

I've been pondering nuts lately. On one hand, they tend to raise the percentage protein for the day. Anything over 13% is unnecessary for growth and goes out through the kidneys causing long-loss of kidney function and kidney stones (ouch). Nuts, including peanuts, also contain saturated fats (except for chestnuts), which aren't good for us except in amounts the liver (I think) can synthesize. They have a high caloric density, which can be good or bad depending on the person's goals. 

On the other hand, Dr. McGregor pointed out in an article he wrote that several studies showed that nuts can increase lifespan by two years if eaten regularly for many years. They reduced heart disease and cancer, but people who eat this way don't often heart disease or cancer.

Finally, I found a definitive answer from Dr. Esselstyn:

As nuts are a rich source of saturated fats, my preference is no nuts for heart disease patients. That also eliminates peanuts and peanut butter even though peanuts are officially a legume. For those with established heart disease to add more saturated fat that is in nuts is inappropriate. For people with no heart disease who want to eat nuts and avocado and are able to achieve a cholesterol of 150 and LDL of 80 or under without cholesterol-lowering drugs, some nuts and avocado are acceptable. Chestnuts are the one nut, very low in fat, it is ok to eat.

Dr. McDougall says an ounce a day for those who don't need to lose weight. I think Dr. Fuhrman says two ounces. 

Thanks for the recipe and the link to the video. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to watch the video.

Best Answer
0 Votes

18 04 30 1230.jpg

This was supposed to be a smiling soft taco, but the shell broke when I took it off the pan. I deconstructed it into rice, bean, and vege-mix.nachos.  

My salt consumption has been too low, so I added some Pace Picante sauce.

Best Answer
0 Votes