Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else only craving sweets?

hello, has does anyone fell like they only want sweet stuff???

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
20 REPLIES 20

I only wanted things like soft breads, pasta, candy, chips, 2 tablespoons of sugar in my cream and coffee for the longest time.  What fixed my cravings was not having any of it for over 2 weeks.  Now I don't have that crazy desire for it.

Best Answer

Yeah, unfortunately the only way I know of to get rid of that feeling is to fight through it for a while. I used to habitually eat sweets after lunch and dinner and at a certain point I just had to stop. It was a couple days of just anxiously craving it, but eventually you get through it and the cravings end. You just gotta stay strong through that initial push! 🙂

Best Answer

Agreed, the first couple of weeks is rough...lots of sugar withdrawal symptoms.  But once you get through it, you will crave the stuff less!  Fill your body with good foods...and again, you won't want those bad things!  

Try melting some chocolate peanut butter over banana pieces and then freezing it for different sweet snack.  There are lots of other "sweet" stuff recipes that can tease your body.  I have also noticed that EAS makes a chocolate protein that mixed with milk...into a shake is a great yummy treat!

I can tell you more things to try...if interested.  

Good luck!  Again, it sucks, but it is a great accomplishment once you are on the other side!

Best Answer

Only way to overcome these cravings are,  fight through this. When I started having my coffee without sugar, it was difficult.  I hated the taste and felt so bitter. But now, I don't like with sugar. Feel disgusting.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ever since I started eating Quest Protein Bars 2 years  I haven't craved any sweets.  But I still eat no sugar added or low carbs ice cream.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do get cravings for sweets.  I try to eat small amounts of treats. I'm also trying to eat fruits instead or fruits dipped in chocolate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find a small piece of very dark chocolate, letting it melt in my mouth, goes a long way to help curb cravings for sweets. And there is some antioxidant benefits to the very dark chocolate. I also have some dark unsweetened cocoa powder and I sprinkle a little on cereal or use in a smoothie with berries, and it's almost like eating sweet chocolate, so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself.

Best Answer

I agree that the only time I've successfully gone sugar free is to just power through the couple of weeks it took for the withdrawal symptoms to subside (and it legitimately is withdrawal).

That being said, I just read a thing about "urge surfing" that may help with the "fighting through" part.

So, step 1 is to recognize that you are having an urge and saying to yourself something like "I notice that I am having the urge to buy and eat a chocolate bar."

Then, you need to recognize the intensity of the urge, like on a 1 to 10 scale. So, "I notice I'm having an urge to eat a chocolate bar, and that urge has a 6 intensity." You can also use something like the Richter scale or the Saffir-Simpson Scale for fun, so it'd be like a category 3 craving.

Compare that urge to the kind of person you want to be. Recognize that you don't want to be the kind of person who eats sugar all the time and that it is counter to your goals. 

Next, you give it some space. Try to see if you can identify where you may feel the urge physically, and imagine give it room to exist without being overwhelming to you. For hot chocolate, I sort of feel the urge in my throat, so I take deep breaths and just try to imagine that area getting larger so that the urge no longer feels too big to stand.

Imagine it like a wave, rising, cresting, falling. Check in periodically and see what the intensity is. Let it be and it will eventually cease. When it comes back, repeat. The more you do that, the easier it will be.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The only way to really curb sweet cravings is to live through them and not give in. It absolutely sucks, because at first, the urge for sugar is extremely strong.

I've found that what helped me is to have things that are kind of on the sweeter side, but can be managed. I don't really want sugar anymore - it's been about a month since I've had an actual dessert/candy/anything else. I do sometimes want something sweet, so I tend to have creamer in the morning. I only have a very small amount though (about a table spoon) for a pretty large cup. That seems to get me through the day. If my craving is still high, I might have a cup of coffee in the evening as well, with dinner.

If I do want something sweet though, I tend to try and have it in the morning, but honestly, it's just an exercise of will. Definitely don't eat something snacky and sweet and sugary in the evening!

Best Answer

I just found this video on youtube from a channel that I am subscribed to. I feel she knows what she is talking about. I hope it helps: How to reduce sugar cravings, 5 ways

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

My 'dieting' downfall has always been sweets.  Since going on LCHF way of eating, I no longer have an extreme sweet craving.  That said, if there are cookies or ice cream in my house, I'll be sorely tempted to endulge!  So, my cupboard is bare of crackers, cookies, etc - the only sweet around is dark chocolate, a nice big bar.  I treat myself to a square with my afternoon coffee.  Oftentimes, I skip the chocolate however.  Also, since I've added L-Glutamine to my morning pill regimen, I've become aware of definitely less desire for sweets.

Best Answer
0 Votes

For a sweets fix I eat dried Goji Berries. Very sweet and satisfying.

Best Answer

Thanks for the tip!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, I tried to fight my cravings by cutting them out completely. It didn't work. I think the best way to slowly cut them out of your healthy diet/lifestyle. Because recently I just ate a whole container of double chocolate moose tracks and thus biked 20 miles and also went to the gym for an hour to compensate that decision. What a horrible day. Sweets are just too sweet lol.

Best Answer

A treat I just discovered and like is the Dark Cacao Coconut Cookie by Emmy's Organics. They have other flavors too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I crave sweets and sugar often, but I will either ignore it or if I can't I eat healthy sugar.  For example, a smoothie with cacao nibs/powder to make it sweeter; dried fruit, like mango; or a healthy protein bar like Square Organics or Builder's bars.  Sugar is good for you if you eat the proper foods.  

Best Answer

I don't have cravings like that. Although, if you left a bunch of sweets nearby I would take one or two. For ages, I've been drinking a black bitter coffee, no sugar in tea etc. But I still like some soda, and if I feel like I want to have a sip of something carbonated I pick either Diet Pepsi or Coke Zero. Both taste ok but too sweet for me, so I need to mix it with some amount of water. Otherwise, I just can't swallow it 🙂 There was a time I could eat a box of chocolates in one go but it's long gone. A bigger problem was a hidden sugar added into meals ( like various sauces, dressings etc. ). Yes, you have to fight it. There is no magic bullet which will solve this issue. But also don't go entirely hard on yourself. Some sweets from time to time won't really kill you ( if you learn to stop after 1 piece of a chocolate ). Here, in the UK there's my favourite patisserie where I eat 1-2 times a month my favourite slice of cake - it won't make any damage. Before I could eat the whole cake myself. Heck, I could do it even now! I have enough self-control to enjoy just one slice sipping slowly a black coffee. Mind that if anything ( not only sweets ) will become rare and occasional in your life it will make you enjoy them even more. You may cut them totally out if you need ( weight-loss diet, being diabetics etc. ). I don't eat any crisps ( which makes things easier ) and replaced other 'daily' sweets with fruits. They really help to fight a sweet-tooth and are a lot healthier.  And if you need a nudge before eating anything if this kind, just read a label and think that in some cases one or two small pieces chocolate based products may be an energetic equivalent of your possible lunch! Would you rather eat nice nutritious lunch or a bit of sweets that you gonna enjoy just a few seconds? 🙂 I also experience this problem as an observer because my wife has such cravings. The danger here is any sweets left nearby and people sharing sweets for example at a workplace. She just can't say no. Recently she asked me to portion peanuts for her 😄 So I did and to her surprise, it was 150kcal ( as requested ) and so...very...few...peanuts... Unfortunately, there is no other way of fighting that but making a decision and sticking to it. Once you learn that you don't have to eat sweets and crisps mind there is still an option that you may - and this is where you need to stay in control. That's why for some people, it's just easier to say goodbye to all the sweets.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mostly, yes. I'm such a sugar lover! I planned carefully my meals on Saturday so I could indulge in tiramisu (well, I ate a lot of salad and veggies that day). 

I miss so much chocolate and tea drowned in sugar.

But I'm not giving up my diet. So I found little replacements like, I'm eating half of a banana with a piece of dark chocolate. It's good for my mind and not so bad for my diet. 

But boy, do I miss cakes!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't need no stinking sweets, except ... do not leave an unchaperoned container of ice cream alone with me.

Best Answer
0 Votes