Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Article claims these food have more fiber than "useable" carbs

ANSWERED

An article here from Verywell Fit, last updated on June 28, 2018, contains a list of vegetables whose fiber content exceeds its "useable carbohydrates." For example, it says that fiber from 10 oz. of frozen spinach has 8g of fiber to 3g of useable carbs, or 5g more fiber than carbs. This really confuses me. I thought that a fiber content greater than carbs is impossible, because the carbs content includes the fiber. I've looked all over the internet trying to make sense of this, and mostly what I see is a definition of "net carbs," (as opposed to "useable carbs") as being total carbs less the fiber, which is what I always understood. When I looked for the term "useable carbs," instead of "net carbs," many webpages are using the terms interchangeably. What's going on here? Ideas?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The total fiber in 10 oz of spinach is about 11 grams. Of that, 8 grams are fiber and 3 grams are useable. It's hardly worth doing the calculation as 10 oz is only 32 calories and is a huge serving. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

The total fiber in 10 oz of spinach is about 11 grams. Of that, 8 grams are fiber and 3 grams are useable. It's hardly worth doing the calculation as 10 oz is only 32 calories and is a huge serving. 

Best Answer