Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low sodium diet, Help....

ANSWERED

Looking for ideas for my new diet, sodium, heart healthy diet...

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You may want to have a look at the DASH diet, which was mentioned in this topic on how to lower high blood pressure. Unlike some other diets, it doesn’t eliminate entire food groups, which means adhering to it will likely be easier.

Eating "Mediterranean" style is another good way to eat for heart health, check the Skeptical Cardiologist’s writing on it

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Asken Diet for Fitbit has everything you need to better understand your diet and nutritional intake. Simply log your meals to receive personalized meal advice from our team of dietitians and nutritionists, right on your Fitbit Ionic or Versa. Asken Diet takes your weight goals and health data and creates a plan to help guide you to become a healthier you. The partner iOS/Android mobile app is currently only available in the U.S. and Canada (with more countries coming soon). 

Our digital A.I. dietitian provides real scientific advice curated from our team of hundreds of licensed dietitians and nutritionists. It's more than a simple calorie counter, Asken Diet will monitor your meal record and provide you with actionable advice to hit your target weight loss goals.

It does so much more than count calories. Learn about your diet and get actionable advice to improve your nutritional intake.  The app syncs with Fitbit (steps data) and is available for FitbitOS in the App Gallery for Ionic and Versa.

Learn more here or visit the Fitbit App Gallery (link).

DYX7eQIVwAAHg_N.jpg

DY2rCHhVMAINNer.jpg

Best Answer

Have you tried Google?

I dont even keep salt in my house. When I make soups I do not add Broth. I add only water and add more spices.

Stay away from processed foods. Also read labels

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@Raysdiet,

There is only one way of eating that has been scientifically proven in clinical trials and then clinical practice to prevent, arrest and cure heart disease. This study was done by Dr. Dean Ornish way back in 1974. There have been other nutritional giants that have duplicated the same work: Dr. McDougall, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Fuhrman, Dr. Esselstyn and others. It also has the same effect on most types of cancer. It has been used clinically in the Longevity Clinic since 1974.

Dr. McDougall started using it to treat cancer in 1984.

I can vouch for it from personal experience as it cured my incurable neuroendocrine cancer.

It takes some commitment as it would likely be a new way of eating for you. If you like, come on over to this thread to join us, or you can buy a book on Amazon for one of the doctors listed above. 

If you follow it exactly (this is simple), you can limit your salt to about 600 mg a day.

Best Answer

You may want to have a look at the DASH diet, which was mentioned in this topic on how to lower high blood pressure. Unlike some other diets, it doesn’t eliminate entire food groups, which means adhering to it will likely be easier.

Eating "Mediterranean" style is another good way to eat for heart health, check the Skeptical Cardiologist’s writing on it

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

@Raysdiet wrote:

Hmm, ideas for a new diet.  You mention in your profile that you had a heart attack.  My idea would be to adopt a heart healthy diet.

Ideas for sodium.  The most convenient source of sodium is ordinary table salt.  Or, you can supplement with salt tablets.  Oh wait, subject line says Low sodium diet, strike that.

Ideas for heart healthy diet.  The American Heart Association's website has an entire comprehensive section on heart healthy diets.  Also, if you google "low sodium heart healthy diets", you will get "11,100,000 results (0.64 seconds)" which should give you 40 lifetimes of ideas.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been on the DASH diet for over a year.  I reduced my blood pressure and lost a lot of weight.  I'm following the version specifically for both of those reasons.  The standard one is for lower blood pressure (though since it is more careful eating most initially lose some weight) but I'm on the lower BP AND lose weight version.

Some things that I do on a regular basis - I don't eat out, buy boxed food, frozen food with any added salt (so frozen peas that contain just peas are fine - frozen peas in butter sauce are out).  If I buy canned foods like tomato sauce, beans, or crushed tomatoes I select brands with no added salt.  If you do eat out - because really this is life and stuff comes up - I choose items that are the lowest in sodium and ask them not to add salt.  Most places have a nutrition calculator and if they don't, I will pull one up for a restaurant that sounds similar. 

Part of DASH is to have low-fat dairy, fruit, vegetables, and lean protein.  When they redid the study without the dairy, they found blood pressure wasn't lowered as it was with dairy.  My understanding of some of the studies is that they tried to have people take vitamins to make up the dairy but that also did not impact blood pressure changes.  

For me, it is the "most livable" and less stressful diet change.  On a typical day I have 2 oz of starch (either from a starchy veg or grain), 2 servings of fresh fruit, unlimited non starchy veg, 1/4 cup of beans or legumes or nuts or a serving of seeds, 6oz of protein, and 1 tablespoon of added fat a day (this can be oil, avocado and I use a tsp of butter when I make eggs).  Twice a month I can have a super treat - like a fancy ice cream at an Instagram featured place or a slice of cake.

I can eat at events, work lunches, at sporting events, etc.

Best Answer

@Raysdiet wrote:

@Raysdiet: revisiting this topic started by you about half a year ago: have you been able to find a new diet you could adhere to? If so, which one and with what results on health markers?

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ol' Ray last visited 5 months ago and never responded to any of the 

suggestions earnestly given to satisfy his idle curiosity.  I don't think he's coming back.  

Check out the question he posted to the Sherwin Williams site, "Hi, I might someday buy some paint.  Looking for ideas on colors ..."

Best Answer
0 Votes