Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caloric Density Food Tracker

ANSWERED

Hi,

Does anyone know of any Caloric Density Food Tracker apps or sites?  

The last time I lost weight (1.5 years ago, or so, 30lbs., which I've since gained back) I did so with the help of my Fitbit AND the Noom app that came on my LG G4.  I got a deal on 3 months of the service and I was off to steadily losing weight.  

It was a good, though not perfect, matchup.  Yes, I could track what I needed to and had the benefit of constant support through the app.  But nothing was unified and I had to track everything separately in it's own space.  It took a lot of time and once the Noom price normalized, it wasn't affordable any more.

I'm not blaming my subsequent gain on that fact.  But I've tried using Fitbit's extensive library to track diet and it's come up short compared to Noom's tracking of caloric density.  The budgeting wasn't straight calories, it was categorized, and helped me stay on a better diet.

Now, why can't we get that kind of classification system in FitBit tracking?  The database is awesome.  The algorithms aren't that complicated.  And it works great for some.

Does anyone know of any Caloric Density Food Tracker apps or sites?  

Thanks so much for any & all feedback!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

hey,

I actually wrote an app just for calorie density, called Hol!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hol

It shows you the calorie density in categories (very low, low, medium, high), and you can see how they fill up your calorie budget. The idea is that if you're constantly going over budget, you can start to adjust some high calorie density foods you might be eating an substitute them with low CD foods. It also helps fix the problem of "I'm out of calories but still hungry".

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

I don't really use them, but you could try out the 7 days of premium from FitBit. I just did and it gave an overview with the information I think you are looking for. This information will only be available in the browser though and not in the app.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Interesting.  I'll give it a shot!  Thanks!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I took a look at Premium.   It has some very helpful and nicely displayed data.

But I'm specifically looking for a live tracker that categorizes food based on calorie density and I didn't see that anywhere in the food report data.  The report will show me the feeder data that I could do my own computations on, to figure out how I'm doing... but that's after the fact, not as I'm living/eating and also not on specific items.

App developers take note:  I would pay over $20 for a diet tracker app that tied into FitBit's or any other well established food db and categorized my input  through caloric density!

Best Answer

I don't use these but a quick google came up with http://www.wholesomeapp.com

Usda has super tracker (but doesn't have brand names)

Best Answer

@ShuttleBILL

I didn't stay with the premium as it has little added value for me, but good you checked it out. I am sure you will find something that works for you.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Have you tried myfitnesspal?  It links to Fitbit, tracks calories and macros, large database. Free version does all I want if you want more than cals and macros they have a premium version. I haven't tried that. 

I have successfully lost over 30 lbs. and reached my goal weight  since Aug. using MFP, Fitbit tracker, and eating LCHF. So those tools worked for me.

Best Answer

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I'm still looking for a calorie density tracker, but these are some good suggestions in the meantime.

Good luck with your goals!!

Best Answer

I know how you feel, Bill.  I’m having success with the Noom app now and anticipate missing it when my program is finished.  You are correct.  The monthly fees with apps are not sustainable.  I haven’t found anything else that categorizes/calculates like Noom does. 

Best Answer

Hi Bill - Noom now advertises as synchibg with Fitbit.  Is this a new feature and if so are you using it?  I’m also looking for a food tracker by caloric density and wondering if you found something you like?

Best Answer
0 Votes
The free version of NOOM allows you to track your calories according to the
caloric density method.

--
Best Answer

hey,

It shows you the calorie density in categories (very low, low, medium, high), and you can see how they fill up your calorie budget. The idea is that if you're constantly going over budget, you can start to adjust some high calorie density foods you might be eating an substitute them with low CD foods. It also helps fix the problem of "I'm out of calories but still hungry".

Best Answer
Thanks, I'll check it out.

--
Here is a prequel to my sister's book!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Tom!  I'll be checking it out asap

@tom_j wrote:

hey,

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have to admit, I haven't checked them out in a while.  So I'll see what they're up to.  I'm trying tom's app below for a bit starting tomorrow.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I can’t try it since I have IOS. Good luck!
--
Here is a prequel to my sister's book!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks fit everything your app. I've been looking for something like this too and have already downloaded it. Is there an option for me to log custom food that I can't find in the database?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey Shelly!

We don't have custom foods right now - shoot us an email at holapp@mail.com about what you'd like to see, and we'll see what we can do!

Thanks for downloading - if you like the app, a positive review would really help a lot (we're really new). Thanks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Suspect this app would be perfect for me if it worked with apple devices! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@tom_j Do you offer it on iOS yet? Or iPadOS?

Best Answer