Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caloric intake vs. Hunger

Greetings, friends.

I had an interesting experience today. Typically I try to consume at least my BMR in calories a day and let any deficit come from the gym and just generally doing more than being a vegetable.

However, my last 24 hour period I ended up consuming only 1,600 odd calories, where I typically aim to consume 2,300-2,500. The reason for this is I just wasn't that hungry. The suspected reason is that I have slowly been making major changes to my diet - more fruit and veggies, light use of post-gym protein shake, less take out and junk food, etc.

I'm not worried about my nutrition (outside of the calories) as I am still getting everything I need because my diet is still heavily augmented with various supplements from when I was eating terribly, but I was wondering what everyone's take is on which is more important: Should you only eat when you're hungry, or should you eat even when you're not to not be so far 'under' your calorie goal?

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

I've never counted a calorie in my life!

Admittedly, until recently I was obscenely overweight and beginning to feel unhealthy as a result. 

Since making some major lifestyle changes at the start of this year, I've lost over 15kg and feel great. There's still a way to go, but it's working. 

I'm walking at least 10k steps/day (average 14-15k).

I've started eating a Mediterranean diet. I've become practically a pescetarian. And I love it! I didn't know you could do so much with lentils and chickpeas.

I'm eating a huge bowl of muesli for breakfast as it's often 8 or more hours until lunch. Lunch is a light snack and dinner is a decent sized, filling meal. If I need a snack during the day, it's fruit or a small handful of mixed tree nuts. 

I'm simply eating a better diet than before and taking more exercise. It's a simple idea, but for me at least, it's working wonders. 

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dave001 that's a great mind set to take. I don't think I could go 8 hours without eating a meal though - my stomach would start digesting itself. I'm pretty impressed that you've lost 15kg in less than 3 months - do you find yourself hungry at all during the large gaps between meals, or do you find the food sits and you feel content?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @MusicalPolymath.

I'm not going to pretend the change has been easy, but the rewards have been worth it. 

I haven't felt so healthy in years!

I don't usually have time to feel hungry between breakfast and lunch. I find keeping well hydrated helps to keep the munchies at bay. And fruit/nuts are the ideal snack if hunger does strike. 

I've still got over 25kg to shift, but if progress so far is any guide, it'll not be a chore. 

My mental wellbeing is improving as much as my physical health. 

Best Answer

@Dave001 I 100% agree about nuts and such as a great snack. I tend to default to baby carrots (or at work a bag of popcorn Smiley Wink) and find it gets me through to lunch, etc etc.

I hope you reach your goals! I'm less concerned with total weight and more concerned with circumference, if you know what I mean.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know what you mean about circumference, @MusicalPolymath!

I'm what a tailor might call a "gentleman with a fuller figure".

Back in January I was struggling to wear trousers with a 42" waist. Now I'm about to buy some with a 38" waist. 

For me though, the goal is better health. Being less rotund and rather lighter is just a happy byproduct. 

Unlike you, I can't snack on popcorn... it goes through me like a Porsche!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MusicalPolymath I also struggle to eat even my bmr some days.  Like you, I have departed from junk foods and the calories in protein and veggies don't add up real quick.  I am in a weight maintenance mode after losing over 100 lbs so I am no longer counting calories but I spot checked myself a couple of days ago and I hit in the 1800-2000 range on a day where fitbit estimated I burned around 3,500.  I can't imagine what I'd have to eat in healthy food to hit that.  I don't walk around hungry and I am not continuing to loose (I've been in a +/- 5 lb range for close to six months).  I do find some extra fat helps bring up calories and is satiating.  A little extra olive oil on my salad, a nice amount of coconut oil when sauteing vegetables, etc.  Avocado, nuts, coconut oil all help bring up caloric input in a healthy, satiating way that doesn't end up on your **ahem**...

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have been trying to incorporate a good snack in between meals so that when mealtime comes I am not as hungry. Nuts and the like in a moderate portion helps get me through so I am less likely to gorge a lot more calories to feel satiated at meal time. Plus it spreads out the amount my body has to work on at any given time. I still have a metabolism that allows me to cheat whenever the urge hits, but my goal is working to eliminate how many times I actually follow through on said cheat. Sugar is my kryptonite, so working on some new habits before my body decides to stop allowing me this, as well as not worrying about calories, will hopefully pay dividends down the road.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MusicalPolymath wrote:

my diet is still heavily augmented with various supplements

Not what you asked, but I’m curious about the supplements you’re taking, especially since you said "heavily", so what is it you’re taking?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your suspicion is right, adding more veggies and fruits in your diet has led you to feel  full for a longer period of time. High-fiber foods not only provide volume but also take longer to digest, making you feel full longer on fewer calories. Junk food on the other hand is simple carbs, digests quickly since it is already processed and makes you hungry more frequently.

My opinion on the question is to listen to our bodies, it knows the best! We don't need to stuff ourselves simply to meet the caloric goals. It is smart enough to balance the deficit/surplus caloric intake automatically, considering that we don't overdo it.

Best Answer
0 Votes