Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coconut Oil experience?

I'm interested to hear if anyone here has had positive or negative experiences cooking with coconut oil?  In particular, I'm interested in possible improvements to cognitive function.

I've been reading articles on coconut oil and they tend to fall into 2 camps:

1. Coconut oil is a miraculous substance, the elixir of youth, so amazing it might even make Dave smart, and
  2. Coconut oil is so toxic that it will kill you before you eat it, whereupon you will spend an eternity in hell with Dr. Atkins like you deserve.

I'm thinking the reality lies somewhere between these two extremes.  Any opinions or experiences are much appreciated!

Best Answer
0 Votes
19 REPLIES 19

Tried cooking with it, not much different than vegetable oil, just clear so looks cleaner I suppose.

What we did find as a benefit was the "crisco" looking coconut oil in a jar worked great on our pets flea and fly bites. Stopped their itching and back scratching under chairs during the summer.

Suppose would be a good skin moisturizer for humans too; but melts pretty fast when you scoop it (very heat sensitive and drippy).

On points 1. & 2. , probably as "provable" either way as any other natural, non regulated product, every human is different, what benefits one may not another. Controls, samples and time are the only way to uncover mass benefit or harm.

Neutral.

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer

So I am completely coconut oil oblivious. Since I am not a fan of the taste it never entered my mind. But I was curious after reading your post @Daves_Not_Here so I typed in coconut oil and wow- you are not kidding. 20 reliable sources say its awesome, 20 say its nothing special and 20 say its awful. I guess I am going to take the approach of in moderation nothing is terrible. I do not use oil in cooking or butter so if I happen to get a meal that did, it's not the end of the world. If you try it and like it, use it sparingly and bon appetit!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

well said @emili

Here are the two types I've tried (the jar style is now part of "Brinkles" grooming kit - lol)

0% everything but fat, which is what makes an oil an "oil"

IMG_0928.jpgIMG_0929.jpg

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Best Answer

Thanks for that @wmchapman -- the jar I bought is like the one on the left with solid "crisco-like" consistency.  I'm trying it as a substitute for olive oil and will see if it makes any difference.  At 58, I'm getting kind of brain foggy and I'd love to see an improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I personally think there are no "magic foods" nor "toxic foods". This would apply to coconut as well. Though any given single food may have some benefits on health, performance etc., or some negative effects, it cannot have any major overall impact all by itself: we eat (or at least should eat) a diverse diet, which as a whole will be beneficial or detrimental to our health. So if someone likes the taste of coconut and believes it has some merits (for instance in improving cognitive function), it’s perfectly fine to make it part of your diet (as long as you don’t go overboard - on the idea of more of a good thing is always better - and start to be in a permanent caloric surplus). If, OTOH, you don’t particularly like the taste and are not really convinced of its benefits, it’s also fine not to consume it.

A while ago, a friend of mine (who was very convinced coconut oil was a "magical food") insisted I’d give it a try. Well, I did, and OK, it was not bad, but the rational person in me thought it’s fat, so 9 calories per gram, which means it’s as many calories from other foods I won’t be able to eat. On top of which, as fats go, olive oil (which I also like, but try to consume in moderation) has a better profile. Bottom line: I won’t start cooking everything in coconut oil, will stick to olive oil and rape oil, and continue to consume these in moderations (so I can have more carbs, because it’s what I prefer).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Ah, the foggy brain Dave - lol. Eyesight gets fixed with readers, hearing with aids but how about that stuffed drawer called an "experienced" brain? Everyone's different, but most health experts agree oxygen is a necessary component of blood flow and overall health. I'm a drip coffee drinker, so consume more black coffee than anything else in a day so figured that is the best place to tinker with new ideas.  Concerned with having to start carrying lists three years ago I started sprinkling Cayenne Pepper on the two scoops of half caff caffeine grounds I use for each coffee pot through out the day.

I don't remember the foggy days; but that could be the foggy brain still working, I choose to think I'm clearer 😉  Again, everyone's different, I'm 60 now.

IMG_0930.jpggoal.jpg

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Best Answer

Here in England we have a program called Food, Truth or Scare which looked at how healthy Coconut Oil was for cooking. The fat content was the highest of all the products used. I do not believe in super foods but eat healthy fresh foods and exercise even if just walking.

Best Answer

@pj300 wrote:

The fat content was the highest of all the products used.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but all oils are 100% fat, regardless of what plants they were obtained from. What does vary between oils is the type of fats they contain: saturated vs. unsaturated, and within unsaturated, mono- vs. polyunsaturated. For instance, coconut oil contains much more saturated fats than olive oil, which is one of the reasons while olive oil is generally considered "healthier". The behaviour of various types of fats (including oils) also varies at higher temperatures, which has an impact when cooking with them.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes Dominique I totally agree with you I was hoping to link to the programme would allow people to see the tests. However the programme is no longer available.

To say coconut oil is healthy is wrong with the findings of the results

Best Answer
0 Votes
I do cook regularly with coconut oil. Sometimes I put a teaspoon of coconut oil in my coffee in the mornings (i.e. keto coffee 😉 ). I have also used refined coconut oil; it does not impart the coconut flavor and I use it in my pan when I cook eggs or sauté vegetables. I feel I have better brain function while on LCHF. I try to eat higher fat content to reduce the calories from protein. Coconut is a great way to get more fat into my diet easily.
Fitbit Versa | Samsung Galaxy S9
Best Answer

Hi,

I use coconut oil for several things. Cooking, skin care to name a few.

I usually cook eggs or vegetables with it. I happen to enjoy the flavor.

I read that it is better for you. But who knows. Everything in moderation

is my moto.

Best Answer

I also believed that coconut oil was healthy until I watched the BBC programme Food, Truth or Scare. The results have put me off cooking with coconut oil for ever.  I have put a link from youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hiW4yRsfrk

This is the BBC version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNUkWOpzfH4

Best Answer
0 Votes
Interesting videos. Thanks for sharing. My diet consists of 75% fat, so coconut is great for me. I try to cut down the protein (20%) and almost no carbs (5%). I exercise regularly and my blood work comes back in normal ranges. Here is a video from a nutritional ketosis researcher, Dr. Stephen Phinney: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkQYZ6FbsmI
Best Answer
0 Votes

Another interesting video thank you. I have also cut back on protein and feel better for it. I am not sure that I could cope with 75% fat content however I do believe we need some fat content.

There will always be hype we just need to eat what makes us feel good and healthy

xPj

Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree with you! Everyone is unique and there is no one "right" diet. I like to read about what has worked for others. We are all on this journey together - thanks for sharing!
Best Answer

This book answers the abovementioned questions with scientific arguments. Much recommended. The author is a certified dietitian. https://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Oil-Miracle-Beautify-Strengthen/dp/1583335447

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique "I personally think there are no "magic foods" nor "toxic foods"."

Certain mushrooms could fall into any of these categories 😄

Best Answer

Good to know this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I used coconut oil in my food, face and hairs as well because it has a lot of benefits.

Best Answer
0 Votes