Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming off of keto for a bit, looking for advice

ANSWERED

Looking to carb cycle between keto and am a bit confused as what good carbs are. From what I’ve gathered I’ll be looking at basically brown rice, cream of rice and rolled oats. Any vets here have any pointers I’m really hesitant to even put carbs back in my body but know it’s necessary for me to break my plateau.. can anyone point me to some good reading material to figure out my new macros. Thanks in advance for any input.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@plnkfloydian, I am not a Keto person. I follow Dr. Joel Fuhrman's nutritarian lifestyle, which focuses on consuming the highest amount of nutrients with a minimum to moderate amount of calories. For healthy starch with a low glycemic index he recommends sweet potatoes, squash, wild rice, rolled oats, and a lot of Greens, Beans, Onion, Mushrooms, Nuts, and Seeds (G-BOMBS). I recommend all of his books, but you can start with either Eat to Live, or Eat for Health.  I followed his principles for almost 3 years and I have had amazing results, not only in weight loss, which comes naturally with this life-style, but also health wise. 

See also his nutritarian food pyramid below: 

https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/eat-to-live-blog/90/dr-fuhrmans-nutritarian-pyramid

Best wishes to you!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

I was on the Keto Diet, before going Vegan.  I'm sorry, but the Keto Diet was not the right thing for me.  With that aside, When doing the Clyclical Keto Diet, You cycle into Complex Carbs.Whole unrefined grains, lentils and legumes, quinoa Rice (colored rices) Veggies with starch (potatoes, squash, and fruits.  There is a website you may want to travel to for more info, Keto Academy. I used it to get started.  Good Luck!  Keto wasn't for me, but it sounds like it is working great for you. Go Keto pinkfloydian!

Best Answer

@plnkfloydian wrote:

I’m really hesitant to even put carbs back in my body but know it’s necessary for me to break my plateau..

(Weightloss) "plateaus" are usually caused by being in a caloric deficit for too long, being in a deficit that’s too large, or a combination of both. I don’t believe switching from one set of macros (e.g. high fat, moderate protein, very low carb) to another one will do much to "break" the plateau, or rebuild your metabolism. Can you provide more info on the plateau you’ve encountered?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hi @plnkfloydian -- you've already gotten some good responses.  You may wish to visit this forum which is dedicated to Keto and has a number of threads on carb cycling.

I've been eating Keto for about 9 months and love it.  When I decide to eat carbs (more than my normal 20 grams), I tend to binge out, eat whatever I want for a day, enjoy the indulgence and return to Keto the following day.  I do this every 2 weeks or so, mainly for social or athletic events.

I've avoided carb cycling for extended periods (longer than a day), because I like how ketosis makes me feel, plus I'm concerned about elevating my uric acid.  I've noticed that I tend to get low back pain when I carb cycle, and fear it may be my kidneys.  I need to learn much more about this topic.

Last thought -- if you carb cycling to break a plateau, you may wish to try Intermittent Fasting, which shakes things up while allowing you to remain in ketosis.

Best Answer

I greatly appreciate everyone’s comments. Just got back from the doctors and I’m down 19 pounds from 3 months ago I feel freaking amazing. 

Best Answer

Hey @plnkfloydian - congrats on your success!

You mentioned you feel great -- besides the weight loss, can you share what other aspects of your health and sense of well-being have improved?

Best Answer

@plnkfloydian, I am not a Keto person. I follow Dr. Joel Fuhrman's nutritarian lifestyle, which focuses on consuming the highest amount of nutrients with a minimum to moderate amount of calories. For healthy starch with a low glycemic index he recommends sweet potatoes, squash, wild rice, rolled oats, and a lot of Greens, Beans, Onion, Mushrooms, Nuts, and Seeds (G-BOMBS). I recommend all of his books, but you can start with either Eat to Live, or Eat for Health.  I followed his principles for almost 3 years and I have had amazing results, not only in weight loss, which comes naturally with this life-style, but also health wise. 

See also his nutritarian food pyramid below: 

https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/eat-to-live-blog/90/dr-fuhrmans-nutritarian-pyramid

Best wishes to you!

Best Answer

That’s a good question. My energy has never been so high throughout the day I used to take naps and just overall be lazy. My skin has cleared up significantly. I’ve had issues with my skin since I can remember but most of not all my eczema has gone away(not using any medicine or ointments). My thinking is more clear (used to have a lot of brain farts/forgetfulness) and that leads to making better choices. My bowel movements are regular now usually just once a day and is healthy, vs every bathroom trip being an emergency. I haven’t had any acid reflux in the past few months when it used to be a daily struggle for me. My blood work seems to check out at the clinic I go to, overall I just feel like a functioning person with a purpose again. I’m sure a lot of it is mental but no denying the leaps and bounds I’ve made in regards to what I put in my body. I think the majority of what I’m feeling is just the effect of not shoveling garbage into my body, I chose keto because it looked like something I could stick to and now a few months in I kind of use it as a catalyst to improve and not neglect myself any longer.

Best Answer

I am very glad to hear of your progress. Even though I’m Vegan, I do agree. The change in well being is astonishing after just a few weeks. At lease in your case and mine. I feel even better as time goes by. I guess it’s like the OJ verdict. Garbage in, Garbage are correct though, better food, better body, mind and health.

From my iPad

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer