Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dairy Light/Dairy Free Keto ideas

Hello, all!

I am a week into my second time doing a keto diet. I found out the first time that I cannot do it with dairy and would love recipes and meal ideas for very light to no dairy involved while still getting a good amount of fat into my diet. Please leave any suggestions and recipes below!

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

I have never done or read up on the keto diet, but if I understand correctly it is a low carb diet? So I don't understand why dairy does not work (protein?), but if you are looking for fats you might want to check out nuts, avocado and oils.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

For clarification,  I'm lactose intolerant and eating dairy causes horrific digestive issues.  I had hoped it wasn't dairy that always caused discomfort but after doing a regular keto diet,  the pain was unbearable and digestive issues began to interfere with daily life. 😓

Best Answer
0 Votes

@megansworld3214 wrote:

For clarification,  I'm lactose intolerant and eating dairy causes horrific digestive issues.  I had hoped it wasn't dairy that always caused discomfort but after doing a regular keto diet,  the pain was unbearable and digestive issues began to interfere with daily life. 😓

About 60% of the population can't properly digest dairy, so that's no surprise.

Since you already have digestive issues, you should know one of the effects of a keto diet is constipation and digestive issues. If you want to quickly (within a month or so) resolve these by diet, I suggest eliminating all animal products and going on a whole food plant-based diet.

It's long, but I suggest watching this video on the digestive system. Then cruise on over to Dr. McDougall's website and do some exploring.

Best Answer

I have been successful with replacing butter with coconut oil and milk with either coconut milk or soy milk (not a fan of nut milks personally). They pretty consistently act the same in recipes so I haven't had to go find any dairy free specific recipes, I just make those two replacements and continue as I normally would.

Best Answer

Are you trying to add fat because you get hungry or you just need some ideas?

Avocados, mayo, butter, oils (coconut!), bacon grease, lard, tallow, nuts. If you want cheese, there's vegan cheese but they're a lil carb heavy. It's like 5g of carbs per slice.

Best Answer

I'm finding myself very hungry and also need ideas because all I can think of is cheese, sour cream, and other dairies lol. Thank you all for the suggestions!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just moved in with my boyfriend and we want to get our weight loss on together. I have been looking into Keto but he does not do well with dairy so these suggestions do help loads. As a side suggestion we use ghee in cooking and it doesn't seem to bother him. That could help you when looking at using butter. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is a recipe I've tried for Sausage Quiche, you can add spinach, zucchini, broccoli, it's very versatile, and tastes great.  

• 12 large eggs
  • cup coconut cream
  • teaspoon salt
  • teaspoon black pepper
  • 12 ounces sugar-free breakfast sausage

• Preheat oven to 375°F.
  • Whisk eggs, coconut cream, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl.
  • Add breakfast sausage
  • Pour mixture into a greased 9” × 13” casserole dish.
  • Bake for 25 minutes. Cut into 12 squares and serve

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just find vegan cheese to be an awful substitute for real cheese.  Weird texture, taste, etc.  I would have an easier time with no cheese than with trying to swap that in.  For melty cheese, nutritional yeast cheese is pretty tasty stuff

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well I usually keep it simple with fish in the pan using canola or olive oil. I will eat this with a salad or just plain tomatoes or steamed veggies such as broccoli. If you like Dairy free Keto style food that tastes great, I recommend you try Thaifood. Thais use usually no milk products and use little fat. Just think of their Soups like Tom Yum with any type of meat or the Papaya salad. Carbs are on the low side as long as you skip the rice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are a number of low-carb and keto sites that provide recipes.  Suggest you browse them and find the recipes that do not have dairy.  Here are a few sites:

dietdoctor.com

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/recipes-home/

Best Answer
0 Votes