Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Describe your "typical" breakfast (what do you eat before lunch)

Generally, I have a 2 oz. Egg Beaters omelet (28 cals) on either a Mission Carb Balance tortilla (80 cals) or a Thomas English Multi-grain wheat Muffin (100 cals). I add a half slice of Hormel Canadian Bacon (35 cals) or 2-3 slices of Turkey Pepperoni (5 cals/slice) and a 1/3-1/2 oz of 2% Kraft Sharp Cheddar Cheese (90 cals per ounce). Total = 162 to 180 calories.  Nothing between breakfast and lunch.

Best Answer
689 REPLIES 689

meusli and berries, almonds, with soya milk or jungle oats,almonds and soya milk

Best Answer

Personally, I'm not much of a breakfast person. And never have been. Most days I'll eat a banana and have a cup of orange juice. If I'm hungry at work before lunch, I'll snack on a handful of nuts (unsalted and organic, if I can get them; my favorite is pistachios, but I usually have almonds) or if I'm hungrier (and Publix had a BOGO sale) I'll have a bagel with peanut butter.

I work at a desk and don't move much, so I don't need much fuel. If I am not at work and am going to be active I will eat anything I would normally eat for other meals for breakfast--hamburger, pizza, steak and potatoes, stir-fry, etc. I know I'm a weirdo. But I don't like coffee or eggs--or care much for most of the "normal" breakfast foods like pancakes, waffles, grits, pastries, etc. I do make buttermilk biscuits on occasion. From scratch. But I don't like gravy. I just eat the biscuits. With some fruit and maybe bacon or sausage. 

Best Answer
If you don't mind me asking, any idea of an average number of carbs you consume daily, carl669? I ready Perlmutter's Grain Brain last Fall. My blood glucose is sneaking up and I am waaaay above his recommended daily carb range!
Best Answer
Here are the basic breakfasts for me. 1. Egg, spinach, mushroom, onion, pepper stir fry. Sometimes bacon or chicken sausage included. 2. Pancake made from an egg, buckwheat flour, coconut flour or garbanzo flour, coconut milk...maybe some chia seeds or nuts and a bit of baking powder. Top with blueberries cooked on the stove with lemon stevia as make believe syrup. 3. Wood smoked wild salmon, cucumber, onion slice, tomato slice, T whipped cream cheese on gluten free toast slice. Always coffee, sometimes bullet proof with Kerry Gold butter and a T of MCT oil.
Best Answer

@Antoinette_B - i typically stay below 30g carbs per day.

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer
Wow...that is really low. I thought I was doing exceptionally well today and in two meals and a snack already have 32 carbs!
Best Answer

i find that i could probably increase it to 50g/day, but i don't see any reason to.  i'm happy with my energy level and love the food i eat to keep me below 30g.  so, raising my carb level doesn't seem to have any benefit for me.

i do occassionally splurge and have well above 30g, but i think that's happened about 3 times in the past year.  (2 of which were this past weekend at a wedding)  today, i'm back at <30g with no issues.

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

@carl669 wrote:

i find that i could probably increase it to 50g/day, but i don't see any reason to.  i'm happy with my energy level and love the food i eat to keep me below 30g.  so, raising my carb level doesn't seem to have any benefit for me.

i do occassionally splurge and have well above 30g, but i think that's happened about 3 times in the past year.  (2 of which were this past weekend at a wedding)  today, i'm back at <30g with no issues.

OK, I have a question. I read all about carb intake and weight loss.  Since July 1st, I have averaged 205.6 gram of carbs while losing 18 pounds. Admittedly, I also walked a total of 200 miles during that time.  Thoughts?

Best Answer

i do not believe that high carb intake will necessarily prevent weight loss.  everyone is different.  however, i believe that high carb intake requires additional exercise if you want to lose weight.

by lowering my carb intake, i was able to lose weight without increasing exercise.  for the first four months, the only exercise i got was walking the dog for 30 minutes a day.  and that was a casual walk, maybe a mile or so (mostly so he could sniff around and play with some other dogs).  also, it was not an increase in exercise (even before my weight loss, i took the dog for a 30 minute walk).  during that 4 months though, i dropped 50 lbs, no additional exercise required.  in addition, my energy levels skyrocketed.

i always hear people say something like, "i had a piece of cake at the birthday party so now i have to put in an extra 30 minutes on the treadmill".  funny thing is, i've never had to say "i had a couple extra slices of bacon, so now i have to walk the dog a few more miles".

do you know what your carb intake was prior to exercising more?  was it around the same and was your weight increasing?  i'd be curious to know what would happen if you'd eaten those 200+ grams of carbs per day and not increased your exercise level at all.  or, imagine if you'd done that amount of exercise AND had a low carb intake.  your thoughts?  

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

@carl669 wrote:

i do not believe that high carb intake will necessarily prevent weight loss.  everyone is different.  however, i believe that high carb intake requires additional exercise if you want to lose weight.

by lowering my carb intake, i was able to lose weight without increasing exercise.  for the first four months, the only exercise i got was walking the dog for 30 minutes a day.  and that was a casual walk, maybe a mile or so (mostly so he could sniff around and play with some other dogs).  also, it was not an increase in exercise (even before my weight loss, i took the dog for a 30 minute walk).  during that 4 months though, i dropped 50 lbs, no additional exercise required.  in addition, my energy levels skyrocketed.

i always hear people say something like, "i had a piece of cake at the birthday party so now i have to put in an extra 30 minutes on the treadmill".  funny thing is, i've never had to say "i had a couple extra slices of bacon, so now i have to walk the dog a few more miles".

do you know what your carb intake was prior to exercising more?  was it around the same and was your weight increasing?  i'd be curious to know what would happen if you'd eaten those 200+ grams of carbs per day and not increased your exercise level at all.  or, imagine if you'd done that amount of exercise AND had a low carb intake.  your thoughts?  

Answer: I started my program at 254 pounds and it likely that I was consuming more carbs than I am now. I think as time passes I need to reduce my carb intake and maintain my exercise routine.  I burn between 600-1200 calories according to Runkeeper each time I go out for one of my walks.  I walk between 3.5-5.5 miles a day M-F and between 7-10 miles on Saturday and Sunday.

Since I am hoping that the lifestyle change of exercise is permanent, the issues of carb intake may be moot. Example though, yesterday I consumed 241.5 grams of carb (according to the FB program).  Large amounts came from my Multi-grain Lite English Muffin for breakfast (26g), 2 peaches during the day (28g), a roll at lunch on which I ate my chicken sandwich (34g), an ear of corn at dinner (25g) and other after dinner treats like ice cream or beer (too many carbs). I need a nutritionist to help me balance what I am doing.

Best Answer
I too struggle with breakfast. Seems I'm always looking for something that will satisfy. (Not a huge egg fan). Thanks for the variety of suggestions. I find I do much better reducing carbs. I don't need to plan for them...they come in natural whole foods which works for me.
Best Answer

I make myself a shake every morning.  I start with 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, I then add 1 brazilnut, 1/2 carrot, 1 stalk celery (including the leaves), 1 cup spinach, handful of frozen cranberries and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  I then add an apple or a combination of frozen fruit (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, cherry).  I use a Ninja to mix it.

Best Answer

Almost every morning I eat two slices of (Sara Lee 45 calorie bread) toast with no sugar added (natural) peanut butter. I sometimes add a banana or some almond milk. I also switch it up by doing Nutella some days.. or even better one slice of each as a sandwich. It's like a candy bar sandwich and it's AMAZING for someone who loves sugar as much as I do. lol I need to boil some eggs tonight and go back to eggs for breakfast as an alternative, but I'm such a creature of habit. lol

"You are a blessing in the universe. Dare to let yourself shine!"
Best Answer

what is bulletproof coffee?

Best Answer

Every morning I use my Ninja to make a shake.  It always has 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 carrot, 1 stick celery (including leaves), chunk of cucumber, a handful of spinach or spinach/kale mix, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a brazilnut.  I then add a small handful of cranberries and some apple or frozen berries.  I had some oranges recently, so I put them in my Ninja and then made ice cubes from it and I sometimes add that to my drink.  This keeps me full all morning.

Best Answer

Three hard boiled eggs (whites only), 1 container quacamole (individual serving size from Costco) and 1/2 cup of 2% cottage cheese. Monday through Friday, prepped in advanced and all of it taken to work with me Monday mornings. Keeps me full until lunch.

Best Answer

One day I accidentally spilled some of my black coffee into my bowl of oatmeal.  Yes, coffee in my oatmeal -- and I liked it!  Try it.  You'll like it too.  Especially if you add some crushed peanuts, granola and a sprinkle of brown sugar on top.

And it's fun to watch the expression on peoples faces when they see what I'm eating!.

Best Answer

I've been having 40g All Bran left to soak overnight in 100ml skimmed milk and then in the morning I add 50g Easiyo Skimmers yoghurt for a few weeks. Its tasty, and helps fill me up until lunch. I normally do my gym session mid morning and this breakfast sees me through this. 

I've been using my Fitbit religiously since August and am really seeing (and feeling) the benefits!

Best Answer

You know, here in Italy we preferer a 'sweet breakfast', it's just an habit, even if i go for travelling i try sometimes to eat eggs, ham etc etc. (continental brakfast in the hotels stay).

Well, my daylife breakfast is 1) 3 light cookies, 65 calories in total with 1 espresso 2) 1 cup of coffe-milk with 1.06 oz of integral cereals; 3) greek yogurt white, i mean without fruit, for a full protein power.The total is about 350-400 calories. Twice a week i change my cereals with 3 toasted breads with jam.

Best Answer

I wouldn't say it was a daily breakfast, but a couple of months ago I had breakfast at this organic Breakfast-Lunch diner(!).  I'm a Southerner, so I opted for the grits cake with kale and an egg.  Since then, I have sauteed a bunch of kale (with garlic, red pepper flakes, a little broth, and finish with red wine vinegar) and keep it in the fridge for this use.  Instead of making grits cakes, I just make quick grits, put the sauteed kale  on top, and finish it with an over-easy egg (which could be poached, etc., it's just what I like).  Most excellent breakfast.  :-}  I think you could easy use one of those polenta logs in place of a grits cake as well, which would make it an even faster breakfast.

Best Answer