Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Describe your "typical" breakfast (what do you eat before lunch)

Generally, I have a 2 oz. Egg Beaters omelet (28 cals) on either a Mission Carb Balance tortilla (80 cals) or a Thomas English Multi-grain wheat Muffin (100 cals). I add a half slice of Hormel Canadian Bacon (35 cals) or 2-3 slices of Turkey Pepperoni (5 cals/slice) and a 1/3-1/2 oz of 2% Kraft Sharp Cheddar Cheese (90 cals per ounce). Total = 162 to 180 calories.  Nothing between breakfast and lunch.

Best Answer
689 REPLIES 689

My typical breakfast since this iteration of "dieting" normally consists of two different frozen/microwaveable meals...the first one is either the Amy's low sodium version of "Mattar Paneer" (an Indian dish) or the low sodium "veggie loaf"...and my SECOND breakfast selection is either the Amy's low sodium "Vegetable Lasagna" or THE  Smart Ones "Sesame Noodles with Vegetables".   So that's two meals for breakfast and they makes up the bulk of my daily calorie intake which has been ranging from 1400 to 1650 total.  Also, I am blessed with being a creature of habit eater and have no issues eating the same thing over and over (not everyone can handle such a diet).  Also, the low sodium meals take some getting used to after being addicted to salt all my life...but it's made a profound change in my vital signs.

Best Answer

I have a large cup of decaf coffee with 2 tbsp heavy cream every day.  Occasionally I top it off with a fat bomb or a couple eggs in butter if I'm still hungry.

Best Answer

Oatmeal, egg with spinach, half a grapefruit, vitamin d and iron lol

Best Answer

Some variation of:

2 slices organic sprouted flax toast (180 calories)

2 tbsp 365 organic creamy peanut butter (200 calories)

1 medium/large banana sliced up onto the PB toast (110 calories)

10oz black coffee (0 calories)

OR

3/4 cup Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal (190 calories)

1 cup 2% lactose free organic milk (130 calories)

1 medium/large banana sliced up into the bowl of cereal/milk (110 calories)

On weekends, go bigger with blueberry pancakes or a full blown 2 eggs, hashbrown, sausages, etc.

I've never counted calories in my life but started about 3 months ago and it's so helpful to have that mental correlation of what you're eating and how many calories it contains (and how much exercise you need to do to burn it). Eye opening for sure and Fitbit has been very helpful through the process with the mobile app and website to make logging everything easier! 

Best Answer

I use the food log.  As a new FitBit user -- I appreciate the relative simplicity of just putting what I eat in and it's done.  It also keeps me conscious of what I am eating. 

Best Answer

Remember that carbs and sugars increase insulin levels.  Insulin levels rising sends a message to the liver that the body is fed.  The liver helps the body regulate fat utilization by mobilizing fats (triglycerides), or storing them.  When it finds that we are FED, the liver stores the fats.  When insulin levels are low or decreasing, for example during a fatty or high protein meal, insulin does not respond and rise.  Therefore, no signal goes to the liver to store fats.  The liver may sense that the body is NOT FED, and begin to mobilize the triglycerides in the fat cells.  

Sugars and carbs which break immediately into sugars are burned during exercise readily.  So eating a bit of carb or glucose/fructose before an exercise session is reasonable because you will burn it off readily.  However, that will not contribute to weight loss because the fat will not be mobilized until the insulin level is low.  Insulin will be higher in this fed state before exercise.

So, eating a protein and fat rich diet with only a few complex carbs (veggies, brown rice, oatmeal), perhaps under 30 g per day, should result in weight loss, provided the calorie intake is reasonable.  This is why the high protein and ketosis diets are so popular now.  They do get results, but to maintain, people need to stay reasonably low carb after the weight goal is attained.

Best Answer

Meat protein triggers insulin secretion as much as sugar. Google it.

Best Answer

The program my doctor supervises is 50g of carbs. I find that very difficult - no grains at all, no fruit- so I think 30 or less would extremely difficult. I'm not sure what diabetics are suppose to adhere to as far as carbs are concerned.

Best Answer

I seem to have adopted your exact lifestyle of eating - LCHF for me!  I'm never hungry;  and the best part is I no longer crave sweets.  

Best Answer

Diabetics are all a little different. But the standard guidelines for women, as far as carbs are concerned:

Breakfast: 45 to 60 carbs (3-4 carb units, 15g carbs = 1 unit)

Lunch: 45 to 60 carbs

Dinner: 45 to 60 carbs

Snacks: 15 carbs (1 carb unit)

Total: no more than 180 g carbs per day, and MOST of those should be complex carbs rather than simple carbs.

My nutritionist/CDE recommended that diabetic women  should go for the lower amount per meal, 45 g carbs (3 carb units), and men should aim for the higher amount.  This is especially true if one is overweight/obese, because it adds to the insulin resistance.  

Donna 

Best Answer

@RickySF wrote:

Some variation of:

2 slices organic sprouted flax toast (180 calories)

2 tbsp 365 organic creamy peanut butter (200 calories)

1 medium/large banana sliced up onto the PB toast (110 calories)

OR

3/4 cup Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal (190 calories)

1 cup 2% lactose free organic milk (130 calories)

1 medium/large banana sliced up into the bowl of cereal/milk (110 calories)

On weekends, go bigger with blueberry pancakes or a full blown 2 eggs, hashbrown, sausages, etc.

I've never counted calories in my life but started about 3 months ago and it's so helpful to have that mental correlation of what you're eating and how many calories it contains (and how much exercise you need to do to burn it). Eye opening for sure and Fitbit has been very helpful through the process with the mobile app and website to make logging everything easier! 

Recently learned about and started experimenting with Intermittent Fasting for about a week and a half now, basically right after posting about my typical breakfast.

This means no more breakfast for me with a 16 hour fasting window from 8pm to 12pm and an 8 hour feeding window from 12pm to 8pm (which I may look to whittle down to 6 hours). Heard a lot of great things about IF from the internet and this forum and want to give it a shot. I think I'll also try to limit carbs to speed up the fat burning and weight loss.

RickySF

Best Answer

Whoop ! LCHF Rocks ! 

I never felt more amazing when I discovered this way of eating !

Best Answer

I try to keep it simple with cereal or porridge, a piece of fruit or toast and tea/coffee. But obviously, some people need more fulfilling meals. Also, try only eating when hungry and when you feel starving it a small piece of fruit to take the starving hunger away as food you eat whilst feeling like that goes start to fat and calories

Best Answer
0 Votes
I try to keep it simple with cereal or porridge, a piece of fruit or toast and tea/coffee. But obviously, some people need more fulfilling meals. Also, try only eating when hungry and when you feel starving it a small piece of fruit to take the starving hunger away as food you eat whilst feeling like that goes start to fat and calories
Best Answer
0 Votes

Typical I try to keep Breakfast under 300 calories and carbs to a minimum. I will rotate between a cup of plain yogurt with some fruit, an English muffin with some breakfast sausage I can get at a local meat market or 1/2 a plan bagel during the week and add an egg or two on weekends.

@NY2TX wrote:

Generally, I have a 2 oz. Egg Beaters omelet (28 cals) on either a Mission Carb Balance tortilla (80 cals) or a Thomas English Multi-grain wheat Muffin (100 cals). I add a half slice of Hormel Canadian Bacon (35 cals) or 2-3 slices of Turkey Pepperoni (5 cals/slice) and a 1/3-1/2 oz of 2% Kraft Sharp Cheddar Cheese (90 cals per ounce). Total = 162 to 180 calories.  Nothing between breakfast and lunch.

Best Answer

1. smoothie: frozen banana + big handful kale or spinach + unsweetened nut milk + scoop of protein powder. I like to throw in other fruits and add-ons depending on what's on hand -- frozen berries, maca or matcha powder, ground flax, and almond butter are in regular rotation.

2. overnight oats: 1/3C each of greek yogurt, unsweetened nut milk, and oats + a sprinkle of chia seeds. top with about 1/2c fresh fruit in the morning.

I like both because they don't use many dishes to prepare and are portable! 

Best Answer

I workout in the mornings, so I start with a smoothie or protein bar as a pre-workout snack.  After my workout, I will eat an omelet with fillings like spinach, mushrooms, avo, sun-dried tomatoes, and sometimes smoked salmon and a side of potatoes.  

For smoothies, I put in cacao nibs, cacao powder, frozen bananas, chia seeds, blueberries or strawberries,  kale, almond or coconut milk, and/or hemp seeds.  The bars I eat are Square Organics(best bars ever!!) or Lärabars.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Breakfast is the one meal I love. Usually coffee and a banana very early before hitting the road bike and then a long walk. After the walk, an average breakfast would be 2 pieces of low-cal toast with a light spreading of goat cheese, 2 eggs over easy and two pieces of turkey breakfast sausage...and more coffee. Provides the fuel for the mid morning session on the indoor exercise bike.

Best Answer
0 Votes

2/3 eggs scrambled made with almond milk, 2 Turkey rashers is what i have most mornings. 

Best Answer

Cup of tea and a bowl of Aplen muesili

Best Answer
0 Votes