Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does tea count as water intake?

ANSWERED

Can other liquids such as tea (with milk) count in the water intake chart, or should it be pure water only?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yes, I would count tea (whether with milk or not) as water intake. I think people often tend to overemphasize the importance of hydration, especially in connection with weight loss: yes, being properly hydrated does matter, but in the grand scheme of things, there are more important things, and hydration is not going to make or break anyone’s weight loss journey. Besides, our body is pretty good at telling us whether it needs to be rehydrated.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Yes, I would count tea (whether with milk or not) as water intake. I think people often tend to overemphasize the importance of hydration, especially in connection with weight loss: yes, being properly hydrated does matter, but in the grand scheme of things, there are more important things, and hydration is not going to make or break anyone’s weight loss journey. Besides, our body is pretty good at telling us whether it needs to be rehydrated.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thank you Dominique 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with @Dominique about our bodies telling us what we need, but I find when people are just starting the journey to a healthier lifestyle they have not listened to what their bodies have been telling them for so long it take some getting use to and thus I suggest a bit more rigor around tracking water and quality of food. Pure water, whole food. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

When assessing intake of my clients and patients, we include anything liquid at room temperature towards fluid intake/water intake. 

I would also count as food too if you are tracking calories and nutrients. If you don't add anything to the tea, I wouldn't bother tracking as food but if you added cream and sugar, I would. 

Hope that helps.

Yours in Health,Julie Wallace,. Dietitian Nutritionist (specialties are meal plans, women's, children's, and vegetarian nutrition)
Best Answer

The answer is a resounding yes. Tea and coffee count in the tally. Earlier people used to feel they are dehydrating but it has been invalidated. You can stay fully hydrated by drinking water and other fluids like juices, tea, coffee etc.

Best Answer