Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Food/Takeout Go To Restaurants?

Curious as to what everyone's favorite options are to eat at when you do eat out? Since starting this diet I try my best to eat out as little as possible but let's face it, I work behind a desk with an office full of grown men who eat out daily and usually want to bring me food back. I usually stick with healthy options like Subway, Crispers, or Panera Bread. But i've found there is so much sodium everywhere, even at the healthy places. 😞

What's your favorites?

Best Answer
182 REPLIES 182

Believe it or not, I can get a decent meal at Del Taco.  I'm not sure how widespread they are now, but the ingredients are better and closer to real food than most fast food places.  Not great, but better.

I usually get two hard shell tacos and ask for chips and salsa, which is just a small bag of tortilla chips and a small cup of pico de gallo.  You won't see it on the menu, but they do have it, at least at most of them.

I also like the salads a Wendy's.  Just the half order is really plenty.  They have one with chicken, apples, dried cranberries and pralined nuts.  Really tastes great.

Most places have something good, it's just a matter of checking it out online before you go.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

I just looked them up, and I LOVE tacos! I wish we had one closer, the closest one is about 45 mins away 😞

I've had Wendy's salads quite a few times and they are good. I also like Zaxby's salads as long as I don't eat all the extras they throw in I usually stay pretty healthy.

Best Answer

Yeah, the one thing you really have to watch out for when it comes to fast food salads is the dressing.  Usually super high calorie and really low quality ingredients.  I keep a bottle of my own in the fridge at work and just use that instead.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

I take my own fat free salad dressings in small containers when I go to restaurants. Sometimes I also pre count my own bacon bits or shredded cheese, and will also put them into little containers. That way I know exactly how many calories I ate for that salad. 

Best Answer

My Favorite is the Jr. Bacon Ranch at Arby's. A lot of flavor under 300 calories. It is not a very big sandwiche, but it has a lot of flavor. Egg White McFuffin from McDonald's. A little bland but the flavor changes with some Salsa or some Cheesy Jalapeno Kettle Seasoning. 

Best Answer

Salad bar and low/no dressing? I like Applebee's under 500 menu Cat Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

My boss treated me to lunch today and we had Zaxby's, I had a grilled chicken caesar salad, with bacon & parmesan cheese.... no croutons or bread. And only one packet of regular caesar dressing. Only 430 calories! It's so big I only ate half so total on lunch was only 215 and I got about 25 grams of protein in with it.

I was surprised that the caesar was the lowest calorie dressing!

Best Answer

If your concerned about good alternatives find places that serve all day breakfast.   Poached eggs can be ordered from soft to hard and only 70-75 calories each.   They are an excellent source of iodine and protein.   Rye or whole wheat toast (unbuttered is a good choice and instead of homefries, as for tomato slices on a bed of lettuce.    Enjoy the bacon if its crisp its only about 30 calories a piece and enjoy the bacon and one of the slices of bread as a bacon and tomato sandwich.  Sodium levels are not out of the world and it can be enjoyed anytime of day.

Best Answer

Mc Donalds harvest salad with grilled chicken is only 350 calories, and learn to bring some small paper cups with you because their balsamic vinegarett is only 120 calories and put it in the cup on the side rather than smothering your salad.   Decaf coffee I like and if want a treat get their ice cream cone, it is not outrageous in calories and you can walk out of  there with a reasonably low sodium meal.

Best Answer
I'm a big fan of wheat toast, tomatoes, and veggies. Unfortunately the 3 things I cannot stand to eat, no matter how they are prepared are eggs, nuts, and milk. That really sucks when it comes to my protein because I generally have to get all of it from meat.
Best Answer

Howdy @awood08! I have found this list of 12 Complete Proteins Vegetarians Need to Know About; and of course, chia and quinoa are in it; but I had no idea about Seitan and Spirulina Smiley Surprised

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

Moe's Southwest Grill, Five Guys burgers and fries (good alternative to fast food joints), and Flat Top Grill are places that have clean meats and a lot of vegetables available with your meal. 

Best Answer
When I eat out I tend to go to sit down restaurants. Since I am trying to eat healthier I tend to get salads or the salad bar (if it's clean and well maintained). The restaurants where I like the salad selections are TGI Fridays, Red Robin, Macaroni Grill. The only place I really eat a salad from the salad bar is Ruby Tuesdays, even then I have to inspect it first.
Best Answer
I also find that restaurants will let you add or take out ingredients in certain dishes.
Best Answer

chick fila has some grilled options now and their harvest salad is yum. I don't use dressing on any salad, so I save a ton of calories. I also am very particular about how I order my food in restaurants. I always ask for my food to be grilled dry (no butter or oil), I stay away from creamy soups and starches since to make it good they load them with butter and ask for my veggies to be just steamed. they don't even bat an eye at my requests- I think most places are getting used to folks being smarter about food choice.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

For Fast food I like Wendys for salad or a Baked potato and chili.

Resturant I love BJ's BrewHouse they have a 500 or under menu as well.  I like this a lot to

Twisted BLT
Baby spinach, diced tomatoes and bleu cheese crumbles tossed in honey sriracha vinaigrette and topped with smoked bacon and chopped hard‑boiled egg. 200 Calories

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I've noticed over time that pretty much everywhere has some type of healthy option, salad or baked instead of fried options. So far I've found my favorite place is Chipotle, I get all my needed nutrients and keep it calorie friendly 🙂

Go for a salad and limit the extra toppings and I still get protein packed with low carb!

Best Answer

Could you please elaborate what you mean by "clean"? 

I know that much of this problem is in my own head - but I've worked in so many restaurants in my younger years - and I don't care if the cow was gently laid to rest after living a wonderful life on a huge grassy knoll - there's nothing clean about the meat once they put it on the grill. 

I'm sure the cows used at 5 guys are not grass-fed cows. Otherwise, those burgers would be twice the price or more. 

And, I'm certainly not convinced that the ingredients at Moe's are that wholesome either. Please, enlighten me, because I'd like to eat out again. Before Fitbit, I'd eat out 3-4 times a week - but post-fitbit, I can't trust these restaurants to use the better ingredients and not clean out my IRA. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer

Five Guys as an alternative to fast food??!?!

That IS fast food.  

Best Answer