Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Food/Takeout Go To Restaurants?

Curious as to what everyone's favorite options are to eat at when you do eat out? Since starting this diet I try my best to eat out as little as possible but let's face it, I work behind a desk with an office full of grown men who eat out daily and usually want to bring me food back. I usually stick with healthy options like Subway, Crispers, or Panera Bread. But i've found there is so much sodium everywhere, even at the healthy places. 😞

What's your favorites?

Best Answer
182 REPLIES 182

Maybe not, but it's %$##ing good!

I tend to eat out once a week, I pay for it with extra moving time on Tuesdays and Thursdays (and Wednesdays/Sundays in the winter months).

I've yet to understand going out to eat and ordering a salad....

Best Answer

Some weeks I don't eat out at all, some weeks it's more than once.  It often depends on what my schedule is like and where I am (home vs travelling).  I will sometimes pick up roast chicken and a salad at the local grocery store (this is when I haven't done any shopping).  I don't think I've ever ordered a salad as my main course, but sometimes I think some of them look interesting.  Like @Mukluk4 though, I feel if I'm eating out I'd rather order something else.

Although, last business trip I did a Wendy's BBQ Chicken salad for dinner on the drive somewhere.  It was actually pretty good (and ended up only using half the dressing as I didn't see the 2nd packet in the bag).  Woman Tongue

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

I'm vegan, so I don't eat at most food places. I like Roti, but I fear I eat too many calories there when I get falafel on a laffa wrap. I'm trying to cut back on fried food, but falafel is one of my few concessions.

Best Answer
In Canada I am appreciating restaurants like Kelsies as they are putting calorie counts in their menu and have some decent low cal options.
Best Answer

@DanielleinDC Hey there! Have you tried Freshii? When I was in a particularly difficult Endo diet; I found a place called that was the only place that could accomodate what I was eating, they have rice bowls, salad bowls, wraps, soups and a juice bar. 

Another great to check is the Vegetarian Resource Group restaurant guide; they have plenty of restaurants and cafés from the US and Canada. Smiley Happy

Hope it helps! Cat Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

@HelenaFitbit I did try Freshii a couple of times, but it wasn't my favorite. I do have a lot of resources for finding veg and veg-friendly places. 

Best Answer

Maybe I'm weird but I really like Subway---I get a 12" turkey or ham on wheat with no cheese, lots of veggies and vinegar, oregano and salt and pepper----comes in under 500 calories.  It's a lot of food which I like 🙂  Not sure on the sodium but I have low blood pressre so I really don't care about sodium (maybe I should??).

Best Answer

We hardly ever eat fast food or takeout, because it is always full of the things we don't normally eat. When my Internal Medicine doctor was working with me go get me out of diabetes, she emphasized not eating "white foods", such a white bread, white rice, white potatoes, etc., and eating low glycemic index foods. It took a while, but it reversed my Type 2 Diabetes, and I am not anxious to go back there. Most fast foods have lots of white bread and/or white potatoes, and are loaded with salt. So, I just don't bother with them.

Best Answer

Since my surgery I can not physically eat more than about a cup full and any one sitting so when I go out to eat I try to order healthy and I eat maybe a cup full or cup and a half and that is pushing it the rest I take home for the next day. So even if you do not have the surgery you can still limit the amount of food you ingest at any one time.   All it takes is determination, and commitment to  yourself.  I know you can do it if you really try.  Good luck and don't give up !!

Best Answer

Since my surgery I can not physically eat more than about a cup full and any one sitting so when I go out to eat I try to order healthy and I eat maybe a cup full or cup and a half and that is pushing it the rest I take home for the next day. So even if you do not have the surgery you can still limit the amount of food you ingest at any one time.   All it takes is determination, and commitment to  yourself.  I know you can do it if you really try.  Good luck and don't give up !!

Best Answer

Tacobell.JPG

TacoBell Power menu Chicken bowl minus rice and double chicken

Best Answer

Mine has to be Nandos

Best Answer

I agree about Arby's, @Trooper although I prefer just the Plain Junior.  I also usually toss out half of the Bun.  It's Arby's Meat I'm cravin'!  We don't have an Arby's (or a Wendy's or a Burger King or a Jack in the Box or etc) here in Saint Helens.  For Drive-ins, all we have is McDonalds, Taco Bell, and Muchas Gracias.  Good thing I like Mexican! 

I have to drive up to Longview (about 35 Miles away) for Arby's.  So it's a real Treat for me!!!

Your Cheesy Jalapeno Kettle Seasoning sounded REALLY GOOD.  Until I looked up the Nutrition.  110 Mg for .16 of a Teaspoon.  OUCH!  That ended that!  It's really hard to find good Mexican Spices that aren't high in Sodium.  Woman Sad  Chili Powder is bad.  But not that bad!!

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer

@BLLingg - I'll have to look, but I had a recipe for homemade mexican seasonings (probably meant as taco seasonings).  I used to keep it in the kitchen in a container.  Although it wasn't likely no sodium I'm sure it could be adapted to low sodium.

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

Hi Emili,

I do the exact same as you but for my salds I have to have something on them so I take a lemon, lime and orange and squeeze the juices and use that for my dressing, add a bit of seasoning and its delicious.

Best Answer

@A_Lurker wrote:

@BLLingg - I'll have to look, but I had a recipe for homemade mexican seasonings (probably meant as taco seasonings).  I used to keep it in the kitchen in a container.  Although it wasn't likely no sodium I'm sure it could be adapted to low sodium.

That would be great, @A_Lurker!  I'm flexible.  Chili would still taste great if it tasted like a Taco!!! 

I've been eating a lot of Chili lately.  And I do mean Chili not Chili con Carne!  When I eat Meat now, I don't want anything interfering with the taste!!!

WalMart has Dark Red Kidney Beans with "No Salt Added!!!"  So I get Carbs & Protein with very little Fat & Sodium.  Well, the Sodium goes up as soon as I add the Chili Powder!

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer

@BLLingg- here's one for taco seasonings (it doesn't need chili powder, which a lot of homemade taco seasonings have)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/219652/taco-seasoning-without-the-chili-powder/

(this one has salt in it)

While I was there I poked around for a homemade chili powder.  This one looks reasonably promising.  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/237172/chili-powder/

Best Answer

My favorite is Subway. If I get a sandwhich it is a turkey or ham no cheese loaded with veggies and a little mustard or a chop salad and I have them put the honey mustard dressing on the side. I have learned that I dont need a whole lot of dressing to make a salad taste good. Taco Bell I usually get 3 tocos fresco style. I follow Weight Watches and these are my go to fast food. I tried Wendy's the other night got their grilled chicken sandwhich with a value fry. Most of the time I get water to drink. I hope this helps.

Best Answer

Wendy's salad are very high calorie need to watch out for the extra stuff they put on there.

Best Answer

I miss Nando's so much!

Best Answer