Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Food/Takeout Go To Restaurants?

Curious as to what everyone's favorite options are to eat at when you do eat out? Since starting this diet I try my best to eat out as little as possible but let's face it, I work behind a desk with an office full of grown men who eat out daily and usually want to bring me food back. I usually stick with healthy options like Subway, Crispers, or Panera Bread. But i've found there is so much sodium everywhere, even at the healthy places. 😞

What's your favorites?

Best Answer
182 REPLIES 182

If your concern is sodium - don't be. 

Just take in more potassium, you should be fine. 

http://paleoleap.com/sodium-potassium-paleo/

For best results  - pack a lunch. Now, if the guys are buying - then I think the best bet is to go with anything that's got a combination of protein and healthy fats. Like an egg salad or something along those lines. Just depends on the menu they have available. 

I would eat nothing that Subway sells - it's all junk. Nitrates in the meats, the breads are ...well, I just don't eat bread because it has such a low nutritional value, it's not worth the calories to me. (But I'm a big guy and can simply inhale baked goods and gain weight.) 

Panera may have a decent salad - just get the dressing on the side. (avoid croutons - they are unnaturally crispy.)  McDonalds used to have a chicken caeser salad in a cup - not sure if they still do, I haven't been there in 15 years or so. 

In short - my favorite is a smoothie king gladiator - but given the sucralose in their powder, I've been cutting back on that, hoping they'll make a change to a stevia product. But - I really like those smoothies. A chocolate gladiator with greek yogurt and banana has a lot of flavor without a lot of added sugars, except for the milk sugars in the greek yogurt, the fructose from the banana and the sucralose from the powder. (which isn't much) 

I figure once a week won't kill me. It used to be more often than that. 

I did read today "If you want a solid body, eat solid food." I have no idea how much there is to that, if anything. But, I think soon, there will be a movement away from Smoothies, as they outsource the chewing process to a blender, as more trainers are encouraging people to eat "whole foods" - not to be confused with "Whole Foods" the very over-priced "we support the fight to label GMOs" grocery chain. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer

FINALLY!  I refound your Message, @A_Lurker!!!  THANK YOU!!!  Heart

I followed the Links to the Chili Powder & Taco Seasoning sans Chili Powder ages ago!  But then I couldn't remember where I was when you shared them with me!  (Eat Well > Fast Food/Takeout Go To Restaurants?  Page 3, Message 37!)

I really like the one for Chili Powder!  I haven't prepared the Mix itself but I use it to help me know which Spices I want to add when making my Chili and the Ratios to apply when adding them!!!  Best of all, Oregano was the only Spice I had to go out and purchase.  I already had all of the other Ingredients. 

Again, THANK YOU!!!!  It just never occurred to me to search for a Spice Recipe.  Woman Embarassed

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer

I realy like this idea!! I've never thought to do it, but you've inspired me to try it

Best Answer

I have one day out of the week where I will allow myself to go to a restaurant and get whatever I want. Not for the purpose of going nuts, but a great meal that'll satisfy the cravings. That said, I tend to stick with "mom and pop" shops and avoid chains.

I'm a fan of burgers, so I allow myself that luxury once a week, and it's never from a fast food joint. I like places that use local ingredients so you know what you're getting. Even if it's a burger and fries, I don't feel bad because I know it's high quality, and I'll probably be working it off the day after. It's a compromise, and I'm okay with that.

Best Answer

Hi Kati50, 
Check out this website for every time you eat at Subway --> ( Subway Nutrition Calculator ) 

Best Answer

The places I tend to go to, and what I normally get. Hope this helps!

Del Taco, Pollo Asado Avocado Bowl.
570 cals., 23(g) fat, 61(g) carbs, and 31(g) protein.
Carl's Jr., Teriyaki Turkey Burger
480 cals., 14(g) fat, 56(g) carbs, and 32(g) protein.
In-N-Out, Protein Style (Bun replaced with Lettuce) Hamburger
240 cals., 14(g) fat, 17(g) carbs, and 13(g) protein
Jack in the Box, Chicken Fajita Pita made with Whole Grain (no salsa)
320 cals., 11(g) fat, 33(g) carbs, and 24(g) protein
Jack in the Box, Chicken Teriyaki Bowl
690 cals., 6(g) fat, 133(g) carbs, and 27(g) protein

Other places I go to include, Subway (6" Turkey Breast, no cheese or mayo), Flame Broiler (Chicken Bowl on Brown rice), 

Best Answer

I would have to say that my favourite is either KFC or Mcdonald's. I don't really eat takeaway often but when I do I try to limit the amount of extras that I ask for. 

Best Answer

I usually will stick to a salad with a low calorie protien, ahi, grilled chicken, flank steak and I will substitute the dressing for lemons or vinegar. Be mindful of the hidden sugars and fat in foods, they are everyhwere. If I know I'm going out for lunch or dinner, I will look up the place and see the nutrition in the food, calculate my meal, most places have it on their site.

Best Answer

This really depends on what kind of diet you are on... There are options for low fat and for low carb diets at most restaurants. 

I am doing a Keto diet (really low carb) and I can find options most places, but lately I am liking Salsaritas and Chuy's (because I looooove Mexican food!). 

Best Answer
  1. Wendy's. I order a side salad and a small chili. I pour the chili on the salad. 
  2. Taco bell: I order a bean burrito and ask them to add black beans and rice and pico.
  3. Mcdonald: I order a hamburger and have them add Big Mac sauce to it.
Best Answer

Cutting and roasting your own veggies at home and a (fresh) cup of soup from the business restaurant works the best for me. As a addicted sandwich guy it was quite hard to switch, but now I won't go back to sandwiches, hamburgers or puff pastry (like sausage- or cheeserolls). I'd like to stay healty for a long time, and that starts with eating healty stuff and get plenty of exercise.

When I go out for diner I'll try to eat as less meat as possible. Most of the times there are healthy choices like fresh fish, a vegetable dish or chickenbreast. 

Best Answer

@awood08 I try to avoid fast food restaurants, but sometimes it is inevitable. So, in those situations I try to get the most "healthy" fast food, if that exists. My options are usually Subway, Go Green, or Sushi. 

I will not lie... sometimes I like to eat a triple cheese burger with bacon and french fries. Once a month should not harm! Smiley LOL

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

It's Saturday evening here in the U.K.  

My temptation was to go to my local Indian Restaurant for my usual...

Onion Bhajis

Sheek kebab

Popadoms and pickles

Lamb Madras

Pilau Rice

Naan bread (or two)

I resisted the temptation and stayed at home to cook lentil and tomato curry with boiled rice and no extras. 

It's not quite the same, but was still delicious and far less guilt whilst still getting a big flavour hit!

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer

My go-to for a quick lunch while out is Chic-Fil-A's Grilled Chicken Nuggets and their Superfood side. There is more sugar in the dressing they put in it along with the dried cherries but it is so delicious that I don't feel like I am compromising on flavor. 

For my other go-to with higher fat and sodium content but less sugar, I will get a burrito bowl from one of the large variety of burrito places around (Chipotle, Barberitos, Diablos, Willy's, etc) but skip the cheese, sour cream, and as many chips as possible (Safest to ask for no chips if you have no self control like yours truly...)

Charge 2 | 50 hr\wk Desk Job | Spinning and Running Lover\Hater | Animal Freak
Best Answer

My favorite restuarants/ fast food joints:

Restuarant(s)- Texas Road House (Grilled chicken salad) Panera Bread (Greek Salad & Black bean soup)

Fast Food Joint- Del Taco (Chicken Burritos)

Moderator Edit: Format

Amy Noelle | United States
Best Answer

I stick to Panera...healthy, real food...

Best Answer

I find that by tracking calories with an app, eating out isn't much of a problem outside of the dressings, sauces, and drinks. I just lookup the nutrition information at the restaurant  website and track it. As long as I stay within my calorie window everything is good. 

Best Answer

my fav is a lg bucket of popeyes spicey crispy.  oh wait, that was the old fav.  i don't eat much in restaurants anymore.  there is no clean food around my town.  it's all chain or mom and pops opening cans.  stabilizers, fillers, preservatives, SALT.  

maybe pho but then i imagine they are trying to make a living and would use grades of meat i wouldn't.  factory farms.  mmm good.

Best Answer

@PrimoCarrot wrote:

Tacobell.JPG

TacoBell Power menu Chicken bowl minus rice and double chicken

holy cr@p.  that's scary.  only 350 calories and half your sodium for the day.  sign me up.

Best Answer

@BLLingg wrote:

@A_Lurker wrote:

@BLLingg - I'll have to look, but I had a recipe for homemade mexican seasonings (probably meant as taco seasonings).  I used to keep it in the kitchen in a container.  Although it wasn't likely no sodium I'm sure it could be adapted to low sodium.

That would be great, @A_Lurker!  I'm flexible.  Chili would still taste great if it tasted like a Taco!!! 

I've been eating a lot of Chili lately.  And I do mean Chili not Chili con Carne!  When I eat Meat now, I don't want anything interfering with the taste!!!

WalMart has Dark Red Kidney Beans with "No Salt Added!!!"  So I get Carbs & Protein with very little Fat & Sodium.  Well, the Sodium goes up as soon as I add the Chili Powder!

you might enjoy cooking the beans from scratch.  there are a ton of cool heirloom beans with different flavors and textures.  i use a company called inharvest.  they have plenty of great recipes as well.

Best Answer