Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Food/Takeout Go To Restaurants?

Curious as to what everyone's favorite options are to eat at when you do eat out? Since starting this diet I try my best to eat out as little as possible but let's face it, I work behind a desk with an office full of grown men who eat out daily and usually want to bring me food back. I usually stick with healthy options like Subway, Crispers, or Panera Bread. But i've found there is so much sodium everywhere, even at the healthy places. 😞

What's your favorites?

Best Answer
182 REPLIES 182

Fast food restaurants are notorious for under reporting calories - every now and  then the news or a magazine write about this. SO, I ADD at least 20% to the restaurant calorie info

Also - I travel a lot and so I travel with TUNA packets/cans ( low sodium, low mercury,) to add protein that I can control.  I've been doing this for a long time - I don't even miss salad dressing.

Best Answer

For my calorie spend, you can't do any better than Chik Fil A grilled chicken nuggets. The twelve-count is 210 calories and is super flavorful. I'm also a huge fan of the Tex-Mex chains, particularly Chipotle and Moe's; both offer salad bowl options whereby avoiding rice, cheese, and dressing I can enjoy a super filling meal for under 400 calories.

And while I'm not advocating this as a recurring option, every now and again I'll indulge and have a Five Guy's Little Cheeseburger (bunless) and split a small fries with my wife; the entire payload comes in at around 600 calories which is a perfect number for dinner.

Best Answer
0 Votes

when you go to subway try to stick with flatbread and stick to the chicken or turkey better for you and dont load it up with to much sauce toppings you want to have plenty of protein and stay away from fried foods or processed food 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get salad a lot when we are out. I always ask for the dressing on the side. Then, instead of pouring it on top, i dip the tines of my fork in before I put salad on the fork. I maybe use 1-1 tbsp total for a large salad. You get the flavor in every bite, but not all the crazy calories!

Best Answer

I've read about that before as a tip for reducing calories. I should try it again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi!

When we eat out, we eat healthy.  Things like seafood (grilled not fried), grilled chicken, or perhaps pasta without the meat sauce, or meat balls.  As for fast food try their grilled chicken sandwich, or grilled chicken salads places like Wendy's, Burger King, and even McDonald's has a grilled chicken sandwich and it's really good I might add!  They do have some healthy choices at fast food restaurants anymore.  Of course you do have to watch portion control whatever you eat.  Just some tips.  Hope it's helpful!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hmm I try not to eat out but I usually try to eat something healthy-ish I like seafood shrimp make sure I have plenty of greens if I do eat out before getting to the good stuff drink plenty of water throughout the day Mexican food for me is something I've eating although it's never really the best choice 

Best Answer

I run into that problem too. I find that all the unhealthy food is much cheaper, and I really don't eat it anymore. I live with a diabetic, so we are very carful with what we eat. The body is really smart, and when it likes what you feed it you will know. We have been eating only grassfed meat for several months now. When I tried to eat regular meat on July 4th I ended up with sever acid reflux. When you are eating out try choosing the healthy options like the salads at Wendy's. What I have learned is don't punish yourself, but make healthy choices most of the time. Remember everything is OK in moderation, and one meat at McDonald's will not ruin your life. Eating McDonald's everyday will. Start packing exciting lunches, and been a role model for you co-workers. They may realize how much money you save packing your lunch. 

Best Answer

I found a couple of things:

Like said before McDonald's grilled chicken is really good, I get the one with guacamole and try to ditch the bun.

If you're in California or Nevada, try Roberto's.  Most of their menu is unhealthy, but try their shredded chicken or shredded beef burrito (around $3.80).  I eat mine open faced and add green sauce and squeeze a lime wedge into it.  Usually I only eat half of the tortilla.  Ends up being meat and veggies.

Best Answer
0 Votes

ohhh!  I will try that on an egg white delight!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I like Chili's Margarita Chicken...right around 600 calories

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love Subway's Italian BMT! I'm actually going to get one today! Smiley Wink

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

I love my Mad Mex and Zambrero takeaway.

They're both healthy and full of flavour.

Best Answer

Pei Wei

Spicy Chicken - Grilled, Sauce on the side, Served with Salad not rice OR one of the Soup Bowls

Best Answer

Firehouse Subs is great! They are healthy and even have a reward system and purchased donations go to help out firefighters. Try the brisket sub on wheat if you ever go!

Best Answer

Went to BJ's Brew-house today.They have a menu that is 500 calories or less.

What I get when I go is a Cup of chicken tortilla soup and a Side BLT salad comes to 500 calories which is doable in my book.

You need to look. Most restaurants offers 500 calories or less now

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Smoothie king or any place that makes high protein/ meal replacement shakes. I know its not realistic when you're starving and want to eat a big fat burger but sometimes just finding one and making yourself go results in happier times. Good luck!

Best Answer

I started doing something different last year. Instead of getting too hung up on any one meal, I ask for a take home box as soon as the meal comes. I put half of everything to go and that's tomorrow's lunch or dinner. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Concord that's actually pretty good idea 🙂 Sometimes it's too tempting to finish the whole meal even if you know it's way too much. Removing half of your plate from the plain sight may be a good idea 🙂

I came back to eating out but I still keep it limited and I think in the UK calories and nutritional guidelines are not that bad. Still, I don't quite trust them but it is sort of a hint of what's in the meal. What I find interesting ( and if looking at it different I find it as a horror ), sometimes children meals are described way better ( for example there is mentioned the amount of salt and no added sugar ). Yesterday I went to pub and order such meal - a veggie burger, kid's size meal, calories... 533kcal ( as guideline says ). It was actually quite big with ingredients you don't see very often in the burger - carrot, sweet corn, mushroom, lentils. So I had this thought, maybe kids' meals can be some alternative when one follows the diet but still eats out? On the other hands, children meals are already packed with the energy of meals that are pretty much suitable for adults ( that's the 'horror' part 😉 ). Another thing is that recently I had lasagna ( also veggie ) and nutritional guideline says 840kcal. On my plate, it was very tiny. It's interesting I can make twice as big one, with homemade lasagna sheets and keep its energetic value between 500-600kcal ( stuffing enough, not too heavy for the stomach ). When eating out I'm always double cautious and I try to pick restaurants with good nutritional guidelines ( luckily in the UK it became a standard and it's very rare the big restaurant or pub doesn't provide one ). Still, however, I trust only homemade food 😄

Best Answer
0 Votes

If I do choose fast food, its usually Chick-Fil-A. or Panera.

Most of the time though, I rather go to an authentic asian restaurant. Places that serve soup stock, Natto, tons of veg, and fish. 

On cheat days, I love to have a big juicy burger! with Garlic fries and salsa.

Best Answer
0 Votes