Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Food/Takeout Go To Restaurants?

Curious as to what everyone's favorite options are to eat at when you do eat out? Since starting this diet I try my best to eat out as little as possible but let's face it, I work behind a desk with an office full of grown men who eat out daily and usually want to bring me food back. I usually stick with healthy options like Subway, Crispers, or Panera Bread. But i've found there is so much sodium everywhere, even at the healthy places. 😞

What's your favorites?

Best Answer
182 REPLIES 182

anywhere really... if a salad is a side option get the salad eat as little of any offered bread as possible or none at all when your main entree comes ask for a BOX  RIGHT THEN DONT WAIT then put half of your meal in it to take home and eat the rest ... don't get dessert or if you do ask to share with a friend

DONT salt anything from a restaurant and get water with lemon to drink 

Using a Charge 2
Always be yourself, Unless you can be WONDER WOMAN, then always be WONDER WOMAN
Best Answer

Well, I wouldn't call it my favourite but I go to Subway anytime I get lunch out. The reason being that I'm still losing weight and with Subway you can pick based on the calories, so a 280 cal 6" sub is just perfect for me. But I agree with you - it is shocking to see how much sodium is in all the prepared foods (avoid canned soups!).

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I need to grab something quick, I usually hit a 7-11. They have a lot of high protein, low carb options. Hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, grilled chicken. If I'm on the road I hit any of the fast food options and get a kids meals. I never eat the fries but anything else goes with an unsweet tea. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Truth is it will be very hard to achieve your fitness goals eating out! You need to be 100% committed. You committed to the diet. So commit to the eating plan! You must be mentally strong. Message me if you have any questions or need help with anything! 

Best Answer
Thank you for your help. I have recently changed up my diet and now down 12 pounds I. A month and a half. Eating in plus very low carbs

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree!! Face the challenge, stay_committed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah it is hard to navigate what to eat out . I usually try to go for a high protein option and a salad wherever I go there always seems to be at least a chicken salad option,

Best Answer
0 Votes

FAST Food is the enemy.  You have to look outside the box.  Does your local market have a soup/salad bar?  How about ordering that grilled chicken sandwich, but skip the bread and ask them to plate it.  Have the lettuce & tomato as a "salad" (which you can add to with carrot sticks and cucumber slices).  Dressing - opt for whatever is reduced calorie that you like.  DO NOT EAT FRIES.  Anything fried is just wrong if you are trying to eat clean and healthy.  If you really want Subway, then ask them to use the flatbread or dig out the extra bread in the middle of the roll (they do this all the time).  Load up on the veggies (one or ten - it's the same cost)!!

I lost 40 pounds without really trying too hard doing just this.  Chicken, fish, shellfish, pork and eggs are all my go to proteins.

At 65 years old, if I can do this, anyone can.

Best Answer

I hardly ever go to fast food restaurants, but on a recent car trip I discovered that you can get a decent salad at Cultures. I don't use or like salad dressing. California chicken salad without dressing or bacon was delicious and filling.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you tried Chinese Food before? 

Best Answer

Moe's Southwest Barbecue, Five Folks burgers and fries (great choice to cheap food joints), and Level Best Flame broil are places that have clean meats and a considerable measure of vegetables accessible with your supper.

Best Answer

OMG I LOVE zaxbys zalads, but they may be the worst calorie-wise of the lot.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have discovered Thai places seem to be the best for me. really flavorful soups and shrimp/sushi.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Jimmy John's: lettuce wraps (still kinda high sodium)

Panera: salads, some of the lower-calorie soups. I stay away from the sandwiches. Everything still pretty sodium-heavy

Wendy's: baked potato topped with chili. Surprisingly tasty and not terrible, sodium-wise. Good fiber

Chipotle: taco salad (no rice) with guac on the side so I can control the portion, and stay away from the cheese and sour cream. Again, sodium will get you.

salad bar or hot bar in a grocery store: Honestly, this is by far your best bet if you need to eat out. So much more control over what exactly you're getting, and you can keep the sodium-laden parts down if necessary. This is typically the cheapest way to eat out if you're living on either coast, too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Usually it is pretty easy to eat lower cal at Mexican fast food restaurants. Tacos (Taco Bell even has the fresco lite menu!), beans, salad bowls, etc. Just skip toppings like cheese and sour cream. From places that are burger centric, if you can get it lettuce wrapped that always helps. I know A&W does it for sure, not sure where else though. Just make sure you're always opting for grilled chicken, and eliminating buns and excess fats/carbs when you can to make it lower cal, so like I said, skip the cheeses, fatty dressings/sauces, and basically everything that isn't as whole of a food. And, for most restaurants, nutrition facts are available online and I swear by it! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree, sodium is hard to limit eating out. One item I find really good for lunch (especially at the good old food court) is Chik-fil-A Grilled Nuggets. Calories are reasonable, sodium not too terrible, and with a bit of their Garlic Ranch dressing - not bad!

Best Answer
0 Votes

We have a local Chinese restaurant that has Pineapple Chicken (think Panda Express Orange Chicken, but with pineapple not orange - and actual pieces of pineapple). It's amazing, and with steamed rice it's a lot healthier than a burger and French fries. When we go for sandwiches I get a French Dip; or sometimes a ham and swiss.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Chick-fil-A has the best grilled chicken sandwich I've ever had. I thought I would regret ordering it instead of their awesome regular (fried) chicken sandwich, but I didn't. It is served on the best mult-grain bun I've ever tasted and the chicken is juicy and delicious. Coming in at only 330 calories, I can pair it with one of their salads and feel like I had a very full meal.

Plus, I love Chick-fil-A's business model and their beliefs.

Best Answer

I started my own successful diet in 2002 and lost 30 pounds. One of the things I did was stop going to all fast food restaurants. My blood pressure and cholesterol dropped, and I had more energy.

I set a target weight to hit in 2012 and changed only one thing every year. First I gave up donuts. then soda, then fast food, etc, I hit the target and now I'm below the target seven years later.

It wasn't a diet it was a gradual lifestyle change. In my opinion that's the only way to lose weight permanently.

Best Answer

PS: And now when we go out, we sit at the bar and have just an appetizer and glass of wine.

Best Answer