Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HR users: Increased heart rate after eating?

A lot of times after I eat dinner I will have a heart rate around 100-105.  My average rate is 71 per my dashboard.  Usually between 75-90 during the day.  

Anyone else notice increased heart rate after eating?  Should I have any concerns about going over 100?  I hear that it should always be under 100 if you are not active.  

Best Answer
180 REPLIES 180

Mine increases.  But I have a few chronic, serious illnesses.  It's a bit unnerving because I know my heart is fine.  At least the muscle itself is.  Do some jogging for me, please.

Best Answer

Take your charge of while reading a heavy meal until your hr goes down maybe. 

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem.

My Fitbit Ionic is recording the elevated pulse and awarding me large amounts of calories while I digest lunch, after drinking coffee, etc. during times I don't even move. It's also recording the whole time as active minutes. This leads to particularly absurd numbers like today when it was particularly bad and I got 5700 calories and almost 5.5 active hours.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've experienced exactly what you're describing.  I've suffered from increased intestinal permeability (aka Leaky Gut) off and on, for over ten  years. When my gut is leaky (usually happens over a LONG period of time after eating nothing but sweets, carbs and taking prescribed medications which also deteriorate the lining of the gut.) The symptom itself is VERY alarming. For example, I just ate a small spinach salad with avocado, apple and some vinaigrette and ten minutes later, HR went from 65 resting, to over 100. When the gut lining is compromised, when we eat, the food particles can pass THROUGH the gut lining (because it is porous) thus entering the blood stream and wreaking havoc on the immune system and liver. For some, the reaction can be headaches, for others it causes a tight throat, for me it causes an immune response of my HR going WAY UP.  In summary- I would ask you this: Do you have a history of GI issues? Are you regular? Do you get migraines...? If answering 'yes'- you might look into getting tested by a FUNCTIONAL physician for 'Leaky gut'- mainstream Western Dr's are NOT accepting of this disease because there is no medication that they can prescribe to fix it- and make money off of. Sorry for the long winded response- but I hope this offers some insight... Best wishes. Just wanted to empathize, relate and share my story. Many blessings to you.

Best Answer

I'm not a doctor, but this sounds like dehydration to me. When you eat, especially carb-heavy meals, blood is diverted to your digestive system to work on what you ate. When your dehydrated, your blood volume is lower than normal. When your volume is low and it is diverted to do other tasks, your blood pressure will drop. When this drop occurs and becomes too low, your vessels constrict and your heart pumps faster to keep things going. 

Drinking more water every day can help. 

Best Answer

I drink my weight in water in oz every day. So I'm 125 lbs and I drink 125 oz every day...:/ I'm urinating ALL the time which is really frustrating. Maybe I need to try drinking more water? I feel like at the end of my rope... Thanks for the reply.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you have undiagnosed diabetes, you could be drinking excessively in response to a diseased state. If not, you are drinking too much water. Look up “hyperhydration”. This is not an insignificant condition. There is no credible research that demonstrates that drinking 8 glasses of water a day is beneficial to one’s health. You’re drinking 16 glasses of water a day. 

Stop immediately. Restrict your water intake to only when you are actually thirsty. If you are not thirsty, do not drink water. Your water intake should be a direct response to your physiological state. It should not be determined by an arbitrary magic number. 

Best Answer

To MSDavidson

This is complete BS. You did not even ask how much water she/he was drinking.  By the later response, it is clear that the H2O intake is excessive. Don’t give advice without fact checking first. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

if you feel that thirst is driving you to drink as much water as you do, you need to see a physicIan immediately, as you may have a severe medical condition such as diabetes. If you can’t follow his/her advice, then you may need to see a psychiatrist. 

Best Answer

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was having this same issue. I found it happened when I ate processed foods that contain hidden MSG. So I cut those out. I also react to corn, soy, and chickpeas. Meals that have high sodium and sugar also. 

Best Answer

Too much exercise and/or excessive water intake (and esp. leaky gut) will deplete your bodies electrolytes.  When that occurs , all sorts of weird things happen in the body.  yes, it`s true: you can get dehydrated from drinking too much water.  i occasionally use "gastrolyte" powder when i sense trouble. 

Just recently i've started addressing my own terrible leaky gut situation. leaps and bounds. so far i have success.  now that my large intestine et all seem to work better, so does the fluid management.

Best Answer

It’s so weird, after my first meal of the day I randomly start feeling my heart wanting to jump out my throat! And I also feel the crash after an hour or so, any suggestions in how to control this feeling ?

Best Answer
0 Votes
What is your typical first meal?

Deb Hendrix
Best Answer
0 Votes

It varies, normally it’s a big meal since I only eat once a day 😯

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am the same exact way. I have had the full work up from cardiologist to allergist. It just sometimes goes up to 160 and takes some time to come down. Usually happens with big carb meals. I feel better eating low carbs but the prob is I have lost a lot of weight from removing so many carbs. Now I am trying to incorporate carbs back in. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Increased heart rate after a high card high fat meal is a result of your blood being diverted to your stomach to aid in digesting your intake. The same thing happens to me when I over indulge in the wrong foods. As you age, your metabolism slows down which causes a slow down in the digestive process. It's not the same as when you're young when your body burns calories at a higher rate. It's always wise to let your meal digest for at least thirty minutes before resuming any physical activity. The last meal of the day should be light in nature, thereby putting less stress on your cardiovascular system when sleeping at night. I've heard it before that eating 5 or 6 small servings and I mean small portions a day is a lot healthier and less stressful on your body overall.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mnaudigirl Interesting that you mention leaky gut this can cause an enzyme Cholecystokinin CCK to over secrete after eating high protein or high fat meal the unused enzyme in the gut in particular CCK-4 can cross the blood brain barrier and produce anxiogenic or even panicogenic symptoms on susceptible individuals some of which you describe tight throat fast heart rate etc you may find this an interesting read it suggests the use of an enzyme supplement amylase and trysin to combat this, thought this might be of interest

https://fixyourgut.com/can-poor-digestion-cause-panic-disorder-part-1-cck/

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just ate 3 oz salmon no oil added, veggies and rice and beans lightly salted by me at table. Then my heart started pounding and I felt like My chest was going to explode! I do have a hiatal hernia that they won’t do anything about. My heart rate went up to 105 from 78 and I went to lay down. Now it’s an hour later and my rate is in mid 90’s and my chest still feels like it’s going to explode.

Best Answer
0 Votes
When I went into the ER they said Hiatal Hernias could do this to your heart. Especially after eating. Chiropractors can pull the hernia down and teach you how to do it. That’s how I have helped mine. Also drinking water puts weight in the stomach and pulls the hernia down to sometimes. Go on YouTube and look up how to get a hiatal hernia down.

Respectfully,
Sabrina Omar
Best Answer