Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much fruit is too much?

Every day I take an apple. If I have oatmeal I add 1/2 banana and if it is a smoothie, some type of berries. When I go for long run mostly on Sundays, I take one more serving. I stick with 2 servings of fruits.  But takes lot of vegetables. So how much fruit is too much?

I came across this article. Yes I understand it spikes our blood sugar level, especially if you have tropical fruits like pineapple, grapes, Oranges etc.  

I found another interesting article

So how much fruit serving you take in a day?

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

I love fruit and veggies. 

I eat eat at least a couple of portions of each at every meal. 

I suffer no ill effects and I am still losing weight and getting fitter. 

HOWEVER... in my enthusiasm when I first started on the Mediterranean style diet, I may have overdone it a little. 

The symptoms were fairly obvious... bloating and flatulence followed by what can only be described as loose stool like a flock of sparrows taking start and flying from my arse. 

I'm so sorry, but there is is no delicate way of describing it!

It is well known that those unaccustomed to fruit sugars and insoluble fibre will experience "increased gut motility".

If you find the symptoms troublesome, ease back a little!

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer
0 Votes

I eat one piece a day,usually a pear  because it adds about 140 calories to my total and that's enough calories .

It keeps me from eating chocolate or other desserts.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have 2 a day unless I feel hungry, then I add a third.  I love fresh fruit and I'm so happy it is almost summer!  I do have them with some sort of protein - in the mid morning I have fruit with plain yogurt and in the afternoon I have fruit with nuts and/or cheese.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It depends on the time of year at times, but I usually consume at least 3 servings of fruit each day.  In the summer I'll easily consume 5 or 6 servings.  It definitely hasn't interfered with my weight loss.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It really depends on my day, but typically 2 to 3 portions of fruit a day.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tend to eat more in the summer but typically I eat 2-3 servings a day. Right now it's apples and blueberries. Soon I'll be adding bananas. I like to eat oranges in the winter for that extra vitamin C and ward off any colds.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It probably depends a lot on each individual's body. When I was first diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, I thought my fruit days were going to be over, and that devastated me because I *love* fruit. Well, it depends a lot on the fruit, where it's found on the Glycemic Index (and the Glycemic Load), and of course *how much one eats of it*, whether it severely affects ones blood glucose. Fortunately for me, most of the fruit I love and eat daily are low on the Glycemic Index. (I typically eat a banana for morning snack, some fruit with my lunch, and an apple for afternoon snack.) 

Fruit that's low on the Glycemic Index:  Apples, grapes, grapefruit, oranges, peaches, pears, strawberries. bananas.

Fruit that's medium on the GI: apricots, cantaloupe, pineapple

Fruit that's high in GI: watermelon

All of these are fairly low in the Glycemic Load -- making it easier for our bodies to process them. 

Donna 

Best Answer

Everyone has their own version online.

USDA recommends 2

AHA recommends 5

One study says you should eat 13.

But you should make sure you are eating the right kinds of foods recommended by your doctor and nutritionist including how much to eat, not by an independent study. If it's a diabetic issue, make sure both parties know and they will tell you which foods including fruit are the correct ones for lower sugar.

From a googled list, the fruits recommended with lowering your Glucose and Sugar levels are Strawberries, Grapefruit, Avocados, Raspberries, Blackberries, Apples, Peaches, and Oranges.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This isn't Scientific but its what i like to do!

I try to eat roughly 100g of fruit per portion and 125g of non root vegetables per portion per day. split between 4 to 6 portions a day.

obviously Calories widely vary doing it this way but its a simple way i like to do it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a real fruitaholic!

Fruit comprises more than 50% of my diet and has done since I made radical and successful changes to my life!  Every day I eat 8-12 portions of fruit.  I calorie count. I weigh my food and record it every meal.

Strawberries (200g) and blueberries (100g) are a great daily lunchtime dessert and leave me feeling very well sated.  Raspberries are great (100g) as a low calorie snack and fresh figs (2 small ones, about 70g) chopped up with a little natural yoghurt and a passionfruit make a blissfully sticky and sweet dessert!  An orange and a nectarine mix deliciously in a bowl  dressed with a few pumpkin seeds and gleaming pomegranate fruit looks and tastes gorgeous.

A banana with breakfast - with a small bunch of grapes, and an apple mid afternoon and I reckon I have the healthiest gut in the world!  

It's just a case of increasing quantities gradually and letting your body get over the shock!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't think there should be a limit on fruit as long as you're a healthy individual and sugar intake doesn't have a negative effect on you. In my personal experience, I am a type 1 diabetic and can't have too many sweets so I must eat anything that is sweet in moderation. 

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

I only eat 1 fruit a day. But a ton of veggies.

My Body does not like Natural sugar if I eat a lot of it. I gain weight believe it or not.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

The only fruit that I eat is watermelon and its part of the reason why I stay lean.  

Best Answer
0 Votes