Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

The best way to make oatmeal taste good is to cook it from Old Fashioned Oats, and not using Instant Oatmeal, @CRSunrise.  Instant oatmeal has been cooked to death before you even get it, which is why it "tastes way mooshy".  Cook old fashioned oats and add cinnamon and/or raisins to it, and it tastes great.  Check out this site for some great Oatmeal Recipes.

Best Answer

I agree Instant Oatmeal is not good.

But I add Fat Free syrup, cranberrys and walnuts,(Almond Accents in the salad Aisle) almond milk. Yummmmmmmmm

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I reach for the instant oatmeal when in a time crunch.  I tend to use about half of the recommended water so that it has some substance to it.

Best Answer

@CRSunrise I eat instant oatmeal almost every other day. The tricks that have worked for me is to go plain instant oatmeal instead of flavored oatmeal- there's typically around less than 2 grams of sugar in plain instant oatmeal; where flavors like maple brown sugar have around 16ish grams of sugar. I usually eat 2-3 packets for breakfast so the sugar adds up!

What I'll do next is put honey or syrup in the dry instant oatmeal and prep whatever fruit I'm going to throw in while the water boils (cut up banana, wash blueberries, etc). The idea is that I'll mix in the water and flavoring together when the water is ready and prep the fruit during the time that I have to wait anyways.

Throw the fruit on and you have one of the healthiest/quickest breakfasts around!

I'd also recommend experimenting with toppings that you can prep in advance or take minimal effort to add (ie chopped almonds, dried cranberries, pomegranate seeds, cacao, Nutella, peanut butter, etc).

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

I agree that if you use Instant Oatmeal, definitely use less water than recommended.

I like to use Alton Brown's recipe for overnight oatmeal http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/overnight-oatmeal-recipe.html. However, if you do this one, warning - it burns easily. I keep the crockpot on low for a couple of hours, then I turn it to "warm" for overnight.

Best Answer

I eat instant oatmeal everyday. My son a few times a week. I love it with maple syrup and berries. I also cook it with water (just enough to cover it) and then add almond milk to get the consistency I like.

My son likes his with honey and whatever trail mix I have on hand or bananas.

You can also try adding a dash of vanilla and cinnamon or nutmeg for a more holiday flare. add some dried cranberries and you have Christmas in a bowl. The preflavored stuff is high in sugar and icky on flavor. Creating your own is so much more satisfying.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Even better than Old Fashioned Oatmeal is the Steel Cut oats.  It will take about 40 minutes to cook, but it's easy to cook a batch for several days so you can just toss the bowl in the microwave and you have breakfast in minutes.  But, imo, even better than oatmeal would be eggs, bacon, and broccoli 🙂  

Best Answer

If you want some great oatmeal, use a slow cooker to let it cook overnight. Put  Steel Cut Oats, water, dried fruit, and spices of your choosing in the cooker, set on low and let it simmer overnight. The next morning, your breakfast will be waiting for you.

Best Answer

I use Irish steel cut oats and add finely ground flax seed.  When ready to eat I add a small spoonful of organic local honey and, when available, pomegranate avrils.  Luckily I don't have a sweet toothWoman Happy  I use ground flax seed in many of the foods I make (love to cook) such as homemade pasta sauces, jams, scrambled eggs, yogurt, meatloaf (just don't tell my husband!!).  Once you start using it you'll learn to adjust the amount in whatever you're making.  Flax seed adds dietary fiber and Omega 3 fatty acids. 

Best Answer

Yumm tomorrow is Irish Oatmeal. Sugar free syrup, little milk, Almonds.

I really need to try Peanut butter as suggested

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Applesauce is freakin awesome in place of milk with steel cut oatmeal!

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner- how do you make/serve without milk?  I'm interested as I don't like most milk products.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd make up a batch of the Irish Steel Cut oatmeal, put it in serving sized bowls and nuke it for breakfast.  After I nuked it I'd add one of those single servings of applesauce (unsweetened) that Del Monte puts in the six packs.  (although I could have just bought a jar of applesauce; but I'm sometimes lazy).    I did this because I take my thyroid pill in the morning and stay away from calcium for the next four hours.  Applesauce is my preference now.

Best Answer

Oatmeal is honestly an acquired taste and takes some time to get used to. Usually adding sugar and fruit makes it taste better. 

Best Answer

I agree with USAF  Larry the old fashion oats ,I put frozen blueberries in mine

Judy

Best Answer

i

I like the instant, it's quick and I add a sliced apple to it with a small bit of 100%maple syrup.... gets me the crunch i like and a bit of sweetness to start my day 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I personally add a bit of peanut butter to mine and mix that in and use coconut almond milk instead of water (lactose intolerant) 

Best Answer

Like many people have suggested before me, old fashioned oats are better for you (especially if you choose the whole oats). What I like to do is cook it with almond milk or coconut milk, which have less fat (unless you choose one with too much sugar) and adds in a bit of more taste than dairy milk.... and from there I add on cinamon, or sometimes a banana if I have it (I like to cook in the banana instead of adding it post cooking, that way it mixes into the oatmeal) or sometimes I **ahem** berries (such as cut strawberries into tiny chuncks). This way you get natural sugar instead of the loads of processed sugar in the instanst flavored packets, with a great flavor to boot!

Best Answer

I don't care for oatmeal much either, but a guy I work with puts a little bit of sunflower seeds and raisens in his. It did make it taste a little better in my opinion.

Best Answer
0 Votes