Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

Instant oatmeal does not have the health benefits of the long-cooking kind.

Best Answer

I always add granola to my oatmeal. Whether old school or instant, granola makes it better. As does honey and [once in a while] dried berries. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find that the instant and the quick oats both turn out mushy.  I prefer the steel cut oats.  They have substance to them and I feel they are better for my digestive tract.  I cook them with different liquids for a change of taste such as Almond milk, Almond Coconut milk, and skim.  I rarely feel the need to add something to them because they have a less mushy texture. It feels like I am actually eating something versus just spooning in and swallowing.

Best Answer
0 Votes
thank you, i will give it a try

Play is the Highest Form of Research (Einstein)
Best Answer
0 Votes

magento mobile commerce    magento url

I cook oatmeal with water, and then top it with pear, almond butter, and dash of almond milk. Tastes crazy good for me!

Best Answer

Sounds delicious!  

Best Answer
0 Votes
tyvm for your idea

Best Answer
0 Votes
thank you =D
Best Answer
0 Votes

There is a practical way to make oatmeal better you can mix it with with oatmeal Hpai
Best Answer
0 Votes

I love to add teddie peanut butter and banana slices, normally I don't like oatmeal but I love this

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can add fruits and dry fruits to make oatmeal taste better.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I only use organic Old Fashioned Oats. (Never tried steel cut)  I find one way to take the "blah" out of oatmeal is to add 1/4 cup cooked pumpkin or sweet potato after oatmeal is cooked, along with a little cinnamon, cloves and I use liquid Stevia to taste. Then add a tablespoon of chopped pecans and 1/2 cup of milk. Tastes similar to pumpkin pie for breakfast! Doesn't get any better than that! YUMMY!! 

Best Answer

I add peanut butter, and sometimes almonds and raisins or dried cranberry. I do agree with another that old fashion is best. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I always put crunchy peanut butter, vanilla Greek yogurt, and cinnamon in mine. I love it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

1.  Just buy plain Quaker Oats.  Skip the various artificial flavors.

2. Make with 2% milk, preferably organic.

3.  Measure: use a quarter cup of oatmeal with half cup of milk.

4.  Microwave for 1 min 15 sec.

5. Mix and then let it sit for about 3 mins to reach right consistency.

6. tsp of brown Turbinado sugar, like Sugar in the Raw.

7. Half tsp of cinnamon.

8. blueberries or any fruit you enjoy that would go with oatmeal.  Strawberries also work well.

9. Enjoy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My favorite is old-fashioned oatmeal.  You can add a little butter, stevia, walnuts or pecans, maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon and any fresh or dried fruits (my favorite is cranberries) after cooking. Don't overdo it with the additives, as the calories will start adding up.

This makes it like an oatmeal cookie in a bowl. I eat it as any meal or sometimes as a snack. I like to pair it with some sausage or bacon on Sundays, but I avoid doing that too often.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't use the instant. I cook mine in a pot, which makes about 4 days worth so I can put it in individual serves in the fridge, and it only takes a minute to microwave to make it hot next day. While you are standing there, stirring the pot, grate an apple into it. Or, I use a potato peeler to make long strips of apple, which cook and dissolve in the few minutes that it takes to cook the oats. It is amazing how only one apple can make such a difference. Or add frozen fruit of your choice. If you want a little bit of protein, add one egg. But you will need to be careful to stir, so that you get custard, not scrambled eggs. I only use 1 egg, otherwise it will taste top 'eggy'.

Best Answer

If you are time poor (aren't we all), cook a pot full the old fashioned way, and then dish it up in single serves which will only need to be heated up on the day that you want to eat it. Also travels well to work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Excellent strategy.  Apple is good.  I have started using the purple plums or Bartlett pears or nectarines.  I try to make sure they are hard and chop them up in small pieces.  Tastes some kinda good!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

You could add fresh chopped apples for the crunch factor.

Best Answer
0 Votes