Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

- 150-200ml of unsweeten soy milk ( or milk, I use soy milk )

- 1 or 2 egg yolks

- banana ( I use half for breakfast )

Milk and egg yolk place in a bowl. Whip it so there won't be any yolk left.

no concerns over raw eggs?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love Oatmeal! I eat it almost every single day, but I absolutely stay away from instant oatmeal and anything with an added flavor such as Apple Cinnamon. This is because there is always a TON of added sugar. For me, I  always use steel cut or old fashioned oats and add Cinnamon myself and berries or a chopped apple.

Best Answer

Have always loved oatmeal, but I agree with the old fashioned or steel-cut over instant. Less sugar and much better texture.  Never add any sort of milk (makes it too soupy).  Toss your favorite dried fruit like raisins or cranberries on the bottom (always on the bottom so the fruit softens a little), add the cooked oatmeal and top with some organic honey or cane sugar.  Getting hungry just thinking about it!

Best Answer

Quaker Old Fashion Oaks is the best.  I put dried raisin cherrys and walnuts on mine.  Also, Walnuts and banana chunks are good also.  Just try and stay away from the packaged instant oatmeal where you just add hot water.  If you are wanting the apple cinnamon oatmeal that is in the little one serving packets instead of that you can make the Quaker Old Fashion Oats, cut up some apple and put a little cinnamon on top.  This will be alot healthier for you.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@USAF-Larry wrote:

If you want some great oatmeal, use a slow cooker to let it cook overnight. Put  Steel Cut Oats, water, dried fruit, and spices of your choosing in the cooker, set on low and let it simmer overnight. The next morning, your breakfast will be waiting for you.

Thank you Larry for the slow cooker oatmeal idea!  I'm def going to try that one!  Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I add oats, water, a couple of teaspoons of nutelex ( it's a seed based fat) a teaspoon of cinnamon and yes, I ad some sugar ( all sugars work the same in the intestines, even honey) and a pinch of salt, i simmer them all

together till they're gooey and well mixed. If you like you can add an egg and mix it in thoroughly before you heat the oats up too. Once they're all cooked let them sit for a few minutes then eat them up. You might have to try changing the quantities a bit till you get your perfect tasty blend. I've been cooking them like this for years. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I like. maple brown sugar

Best Answer

did u eve er try maple brown sugar

Best Answer
0 Votes

did u eve er try maple brown sugaring fruit

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure exactly which one you are using but I think if you read the packet, those aren't so good for you.  🙂

Check out www.overnightoats.ca.  There's quite a few good recipes on there for mixing the ingredients the night before and waking up to a delicious and healthy breakfast.  I'm addicted.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was never a fan of oatmeal, but since I was been leaving it with more texture (basically under cooking it) I love the taste with a little honey it's very enjoyable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I like to add cinnamon to mine, especially on a cold morning!

Other alternatives are honey or jam, they really sweeten up the blandness of the oatmeal!

Also, try using sweetened almond milk rather than cows milk, it slightly alters the texture but the taste is worth it!

Hope you found these tips useful 🙂

Best Answer

Steel cut oatmeal overnight in the crockpot, the modern version of how oatmeal was cooked 20p years ago. They let it simmer at the edge of the fire.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Put fruit in it.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

There are two types of steel cut oatmeal - Quick cooking or Old Fashioned. For Quick, at night I bring to rapid boil 4-1/2 cup of water, add 1 Cup oatmeal, continue to cook for 1 minute, while stirring it. After that turn the heat off, put a lid on the pot, and let it sit overnight.  This yields 4 cup of cooked oatmeal. I refrigerate it and eat a cup every day. I heat that in microwave for 60 seconds or so, add 1 tsp brown sugar, and 1 Tbs of creamy peanut butter. This is +/- 250 Kcal.  For old fashion, spray a crock pot with oil spray, add 1 cup oatmeal, 4 cup water (or two C water and Two C Almond milk), 1/4 C Maple Syrup (optional).  Cook overnight for six hour on low. This yield 4 C. Final prep , same as above.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can use apple cider to cook it in, instead of water. Add applesauce when cooked.  Or make with water, but add peanut butter and bananas.

Best Answer

I add peanut butter, cinnamon, raisins, and honey. Gives it just enough sweetness, and the peanut butter helps you stay fuller longer and adds protein.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds good! I'll give it a try.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I make my oats out of regular rolled oats- that way you can control if you want less or more, AND theres no added sugars! I add 1 packet of Splenda (sometimes if I want it sweeter), a tad bit natural peanut butter, chia seeds (good source of fiber!) and cinnamon!! It tastes amazing! 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am fortunate to have a flaker at home so I buy local organic oat groats and flake them just before preparing.  When I first read your suggestion I thought it was the same as mine, but then realised that you are using this method only for the quick oats. It works just as well for whole flaked non quick! 

The night before I flake my oats and add the cold water with a pinch of pink salt. I bring to a boil, lower the heat so it doesn't boil over and cook, stirring now and again for 3-5 minutes. I then turn off the heat, (leave the saucepan in place) and cover. In the morning it is cooked nicely. I divide and refrigerate for the next day/days depending on how much I make. Each morning I take one serving and heat it, add fresh fruit or dried  - cranberries, blueberries, raisins, blackcurrants etc - (less dried of course) real Ceylon cinnamon, ⅛tsp stevia whole ground leaf, 1tblsp ground flax seed, 1tblsp hemp hearts, small handful of walnuts. I often as some of the Forks Over Knives banana almond granola as well, for crunchy texture. Add some home made almond milk and voilà! Breakfast of champions!

I am whole food plant based and breakfast is one of the best meals of my day, going on the principle of "eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and supper like a pauper".

Best Answer