Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

you could just avoid oatmeal all together

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ha ha ! Right !

Best Answer
0 Votes

Using Quick Oats instead of instant takes about 5-10 minutes.  I use 3 chai teabags steeped for a few minutes In hot water then use that with lite coconut milk, nutmeg, star anise, cardamom, cinamon, vanilla extract, tumeric, allspice and ground ginger- just a bit of each thrown in as it cooks. Add raisins and craisins-- Deliscious!!! Served with toasted pecans, its low in sugar and high in tasty nutrients! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am using an Ancient Grains Oatmeal mix and it is really nice. I just make it with soy milk and eat it ☺

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

What is ancient grain oatmeal mix?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think It’s a grain that’s been found in the egyptian pyramids , it’s around 2000 or more years old. 

Tony Barhoum
Best Answer

Ancient grains include the grains spelt, Khorasan wheat (Kamut), millet, barley, teff, oats, freekeh, bulgur, sorghum, farro, einkorn, and emmer; and the pseudocereals quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, and chia.

One or more of these would be mixed with oats to make the ancient grain oatmeal mix.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello! I always found oatmeal to have an unpleasant texture. A way I've found around the mushy texture is overnight oats! You can do it with the instant oats, you can also make it from scratch using rolled oats and adding additional ingredients. What I like to do is take half a cup of rolled oats, add in 1 teaspoon each of peanut butter and raspberry jam, a couple teaspoons of shredded coconut, and then I'll add in a half a cup of liquid (water, milk, almond milk, or half a cup of a protein shake). Stir/shake it up, leave it in the fridge overnight and voila. It's not mushy, the oats hold a firmness and I prefer my oats cold vs warm. For the Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, just add in the equivalent amount of liquid to the quantity of the oats, leave it in the fridge overnight and you'll be set!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I make oatmeal with yoghurt and a banana. Oatmeal becomes more delicious.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This morning I went with something totally different as I ran out of any fruits 😄 I added... grated cheese and finely chopped spinach to the oats when cooking ( I used soya milk, but can be done just with water ) 🙂 But that's not all. I topped it with fried egg ( sunny side up, yolk runny ). I had a feeling that maybe bacon or simple ham shredded would be a nice addition but don't have any at home so I went only with what I had. It was delicious and different from what I used to make 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

it's kind of like asking "is there any way to make bread taste better ?"   or " is there any way to make rice taste better ? "      ya, about a million ways.....

Best Answer
I have my oatmeal with some dry flakes (ice, wheat) then and some raisins,
Chopped walnuts Wheat germ a little honey and a splash of milk.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Bought some Coach's Oats from Costco and it is mighty tasty by itself or with something sweet like Honey or Maple Syrup or Cinnamon & Half and Half. It has some texture to the chew so I expect it will not be mushy. It takes around 5 mins to make in the microwave.  There's recipes in the back for cookies but have not tried to bake with it. I like the combination of Honey, Cinnamon & Half and Half the best.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found also that if you use real oats, you can put it together the night before and put it in the regrigerator.  I add a little almond milk, maybe some berries and then cap it and put it in the refrig.  In the morning, a quick pop in the mic and it saves time  for those on the fly mornings. ....

Best Answer

Sounds delicious!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I make my own "instant" oatmeal and love it.  It takes a small bit of prep, but it is soooo much better than store bought.

You simply take one of the round cartons of oats (quick or old fashioned) which is about 10 cups.  Put four of the cups into a blender or food processor and grind them to powder. This gives you the quick cook, creamier texture that instant oatmeal has.  Mix the ground oats, the regular oats, a couple cups of powdered milk or whey protein powder, a cup so of brown sugar and a tablespoon or so of salt.  This is the basic mix and I found that 1/2 cup of the mix with a scant cup of water gives a good portion to eat.  If the water is boiling I can let it sit for 5 minutes to thicken, or with water from the faucet, 90 seconds in the microwave works great.

Now you can make it better by adding to the basic mix.  My favorite so far is adding some cinnamon (1/4c), wheat germ(1c) and powdered buckwheat cereal(1c).  You can add chia seeds, flax, etc. etc. Anything that will "cook" with boiling water--although powdering it can help with the speed as well.  I did try stevia as a sweetener rather than brown sugar, but it really didn't taste right. Adjust the sugar content to your tastes as well--if you lower it slightly with each batch you'll get used to it.

Then you get make your own flavor varieties.  I premeasure the mix into snack size baggies then add in "flavorings". (I save and re-use the baggies for new batches to reduce waste)  I love a some crunch or "bite" to my oatmeal, so I almost always add some chopped nuts or large flake coconut.  I also add freeze dried fruit to my mixes--this is better than regular dried fruit as it is processed less and had less moisture content so it stores better and "cooks" as fast as the oats.

I've make tropical (coconut, mango and pineapple), apple cinnamon(apple and extra cinnamon, peach pecan, raspberry coconut, cinnamon spice (extra cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice--this needed nut or something as well).  You can add mini chocolate chips, even candies for kids.  Just use you imagination.

Best Answer

Awesome!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I realize this may be a year too late, but I just saw your post about ways to make oatmeal taste good. Two things I love: first steel cut oats are better, I think because of the texture (you may need to prep the night before because they take a while). The other is Chris Powell's protein waffles: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/chris-powell-s-protein-waffle-52780771

They are absolutely delicious (you can make some ahead and reheat in the waffle iron) The ingredients may surprise you (egg, cottage cheese and oats) but believe me, they are terrific. Sometimes I sub in a small amount of almond flour.

Best Answer
0 Votes

IF you are going to eat oatmeal then as Larry says, eat the old fashioned or rolled oats way.

The way to make it taste wonderful is to cook the oats in MILK not water. This way there is not the bitter taste. And it comes out tasting smooth and creamy. You may add anything you like but remember all of this is not particularly good for loosing weight. 

You say you don't have time to cook the oats for half an hour in the morning? No problem, soak the oats over night in the milk or water (if you insist!) and then in the morning it takes 5 minutes cook.

If you are eating oatmeal for your health or lowering cholesterol then do not touch instant oats as you may as well be eating crushed sugar there is absolutely NO benefit or nutrition in it at all.

Best Answer
Thank you. An excellent post and a reminder that adding lot of condiments
to oatmeal kind a defeats the purpose. I have been cooking traditional
steel cut oats in a pressure cooker using water. I think I will try with
almond milk. I don't know how this milk will behave in pressure cooker. I
cook 1 cup of dry oatmeal with 4 cups of water, and it yields 4 cups of 1
cup serving with +/- 150 Kcal.
Best Answer
0 Votes