Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430
Hi Daniel,
Thanks for the suggestions. I personally think that the fruit and nuts, seeds and spices are a good idea, but that steering away from artificial sweeteners is best. If sugar content is a dietary issue, then count the volume of fruit added to the oatmeal and subtract it from your daily allowance.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Yes @BeaJ, It is even better not to go for an artificial sweetener. That's the option for people who have recently quit sugar. Without sugar or artificial sweetener goes perfectly okay for me though!

Good Night 🙂

Regards.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I make it overnight in mini crockpot. ratio 2 parts water to 1 part old fashioned oats. leave it on warm overnight, and you have creamy oatmeal in the a.m. ready to go.  Now the hardest part is to figure out what you'd love to put on it.

Best Answer

This time I soak the oats in the milk ( 60g of oats, 250ml milk ) overnight. In the morning I cook it with chopped banana. Today I added cocoa powder ( just teaspoon, about 4g ). It was really nice. But the funniest part is that after cooking I have transferred it to the food thermos so I could eat it hot after gym. I use the thermos last night to keep hot a lemon flavoured flu&cold medicine for my wife 🙂 My porridge got a little bit of lemonish taste and I must say that Tomorrow I'm gonna add some lemon zest to the chocolate porridge 😄

Best Answer
You are a brave man.

--
Nick Doshi
314-898-6732
Best Answer
Ty for sharing

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, Everyone! Here is a typical oat breakfast from the expert doctor and nutritionist, Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I follow him all the time. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9fNO4MAVfU

Hope you try it and enjoy it. 

Best wishes!

Best Answer

This is helpful. Thanks for the suggestion

Best Answer

Actually, I have found you can make oatmeal taste really delicious if it is in a cookie with chocolate chips, raisins, walnuts and sometimes craisens! And oatmeal is so good for you, as are nuts and raisins, and even chocolate is good for you in reasonable doses!

Best Answer

I use old fashioned Oats 1/2 cup and a cup of water, after it is cooked I add Blueberries, cinnamon and a teaspoon of ground flaxseed.

Tastes good to me without using sugar or milk but I do change it up from time to time by adding banana or nothing at all.

Best Answer
How do you grind the flax seed? food processor? coffee grinder? mortar & pestle? buy it ground? some other way?
Best Answer

nurzepat, you could do all three although you'd want one of those mini food processors rather than the usual size. Personally I'd use a coffee grinder but make it one that you only use for grinding spices and the like otherwise everything will taste of coffee! You can buy it ground (often as LSA which also includes ground sunflower seeds and almond meal - delicious) but it will deteriorate quite quickly so better to grind what you need when you need it (unless you uses lots of it).

Best Answer

Thank you, so much!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just make sure you are not alergic to flax seeds 😄 This morning I added 10g of ground seeds to my oats. All I can say that it wasn't a pleasant morning 😄 At least I learnt something new as I didn't know I had such allergy 😉

Best Answer

@nurzepat, I grind my flax seeds in the coffee grinder and store it in a jar. That way I have it ready for a month or more. It turns our very fine. 

Best Answer

Do you have any other allergies?  Did you have to go to the emergency room?  How was it determined that the allergy was flax?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@nurzepat not this time but there is more of a story here and flax seeds make a common denominator. Couple of months ago I actually ended up in  the emergency room when I ate a sample of vegan bread/cracker. There was no label so back then I couldn't tell anything to the doctors. Later I checked what it was made of and flax seeds was a binding agent. I didn't test myself any further so it was quite unknown if it was flax seeds or buckwheat or any other ingredient ( there weren't many ). Today I added flax seeds to my porridge and memory came back instantly when my throat felt irritated and started feel itchiness and slightly nauseated. I stopped eating it instantly. This time it was just mild reaction and it all went back to normal. Few months ago I wasn't that lucky and spent whole day in hospital and gave a big scare to my wife. And yes - all I can say is stupid me, I should have get myself thoroughly tested after previous incident.

Best Answer
0 Votes
No judgement here, I just wondered. Do you have an epi-pen available now? You are probably more aware now and flax is not a common ingredient, but more than it used to be. Thank you for sharing.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@nurzepat I need to get tested for other allergens too I guess. I used to be allergic to non-food allergens. Food wasn't ever any problem until now 🙂 I'd rather learn it an easy way than the hard one 🙂

Not to be too off-topic, I recently started adding ground hemp seeds to my porridge. I call it "a military porridge" due to the colour it gets from the hemp ( military-green ). It's not looking too appealing but I must admit I like the slightly nutty flavour of hemp and it plays nice with the rest of ingredients. One thing about ground hemp ( ground to a fine powder ) is that it contains lots of protein ( 50g of protein in 100g of powdered hemp ) and it provides all essential amino acids so it's a good thing if somebody looks forward to reducing animal protein intake. Usually, such enhanced meal is my after-gym breakfast.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also add hemp, but I don't grind it.  I like it much better than chia or flax.

Best Answer
0 Votes