Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

Yes! This is what I like to do! I add cinnamon and a little bit of brown sugar to mine!

Best Answer

dont buy the instant packets.  buy the plain, either instant or regular.  add cinnamon, honey, raisins, dried cranberries, almonds, dash sea salt, real butter.  any number of things you can add. whatever you like...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know whether anybody suggested it already and I do not want to go through 17 pages of replies. I sometimes make fermented oats by mixing steel cut oats with water and adding about 1 tbs of ginger bug or turmeric bug. Leave overnight and you'll have a kind of fresh-sour substance, to which you can add milk of any kind, fruits, and/or nuts. It kind of mimics yoghurt a bit.

Google 'ginger bug' or 'turmeric bug' and you'll find recipes for those

Best Answer

I usually add a scoop of protein powder to mine - variety of flavours at least so it doesn't get too boring

Best Answer
0 Votes

I like to cook mine with half milk half water. Adding frozen berries (microwaved for 30secs) and a tbsp of Honey. Yum.

Best Answer

have you tried almondmilk or oatmilk? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No I have not tried almond milk. It sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

--
Nick Doshi

Moderator edit: Removed personal information

Best Answer
0 Votes
I find a real difference in instant, old fashioned rolled and steel cut oats. The old fashioned oats cook up in one minute on a microwave on high. A little honey and cinnamon do the trick for me.

Live long!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Something to think aboiut
Best Answer
0 Votes

Agreed! Here's a recipe to try that's packed full of nutrients:

- 1/2 cup of Old Fashioned Rolled Oats

- 2 tsp Dry Milk

- 2 tsp Oat Bran

- 2 tsp Maple Sugar

- 2 tsp Brown Sugar

- 1 tsp Flax Seeds

- 1 tsp Chia Seeds

- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt

- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon

I mix up 5 snack packs of this before the work week so I have my own wholesome oatmeal packets. 🙂

Best Answer

I know I've already replied to this, but sometimes I like to change it up 🙂

I add some unsweetened shredded coconut to mind along with coconut milk and a bit of cocoa powder. It's like a Mounds bar in the morning -- which may not be your cup of tea, but I like my oatmeal to be on the sweet side of the spectrum vs. savory.

Best Answer
Sounds yummy!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Sounds yummy, nutritious and efficient! Am Assiniboine that you cook it in at least equal part, possibly double the volume of water?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

BeaJ; you can use any liquid (water, milk, nut milk, coconut water, fruit juice etc) and any amount to get the consistency you prefer. Obviously the less liquid the thicker the oats. You can even just cover the oats with a liquid and leave overnight. The oats will absorb all (or most) of the liquid making them soft and no need to 'cook' at all.

Best Answer
that is interesting? I am going to try that.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I usually start with Old Fashioned Oats and add a fresh banana, Peanut Protein Powder, Chia seeds, and flax seeds. the combination helps me to have energy throughout the day and to fight off the hunger in between meals.

Best Answer

Thanks for this GREAT website for Breakfast Recipes!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CRSunrise generally for hot cereal I use milled flax and hempseeds. I mix in a tablespoon of honey and add my fruit in, oatmeal is tricky, if you add too much water it turns to slop!. i always add a little extra flax to soak up the excess moisture, my best recommendation is add some yogert or some fresh cherries, and switch it up now and then.  ground coconut and raw cocoa with honey is also really really yummy IMO. 

making the right choice sucks when the food looks and taste's like it came the wrong way out of a Llama. another thought, try adding a small portion of chocolate chunks for energy. also garnish it with things like fresh mint, cinnamon, or even chopped vanilla bean.  at the end of the day if you don't enjoy what you are eating it will burn you out and you will want to revert to that all too familiar comfort food. 
I hope this is good advice CRSunrise.  

Best Answer

Junoberries; You can also add chia seeds if you overdo the liquid content to mop up the 'slop'.

Ummm.... what is 'the wrong way out of a llama'? And is there a 'right' way out? lol.

Best Answer

i don't think there is a right way out. HAHAHAHA!...  but yeah chia works too! chia is really great actually! 

Best Answer
0 Votes