Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

You have to start making them yourself, warm up Armand milk or water if you want to lower your cals, add a cup of oats, stir is up till most of the liquid is gone, add mixed berries or banana or apple, some cinnamon, honey if you want to make it sweeter and if you want to give it a crunch chop up some nuts and add them in.

Best Answer

I like to make oatmeal from scratch and eat it either hot or cold. Here is my go to recipe:

1/2 cup old fashioned oats

1/2 cup almond milk

1/2 teaspoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon maple syrup

1 tablespoon sliced almonds

1 teaspoon mini chocolate chips

optional: handful of blueberries

For hot oats: Microwave for 1 minute or until cooked- add liquid if too dry or microwave in 30 minute increments if too soupy. 

For cold oats: Place in refrigerator for 20 minutes or up to 8 hours- Eat. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Whats the calorie count for this recipe? It looks like it would taste like
a cookie!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just had it this morning and my count was around 350 cal. I LOVE this recipe for oats and it is my go to for a quick, cheap, healthy breakfast. You can pretty much add anything you like to it and it's good.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sounds delicious. I also think you mean to say to cook it in 30 second
interval.
--
Nick Doshi
314-898-6732
Best Answer
0 Votes

****30 SECOND INCREMENTS****

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow, glad you caught that lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gossipgirlxoxo -- you can edit your original post if you like to change the time to 30 seconds.  Just click the 3 dots in the top right corner of the post.  As the author, you will have an option to edit.

@Nirudo  -- likewise, you can edit your posts to remove your phone number from public postings if you like.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes
This sounds really nice! Thanks for the suggestion!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I never eat instant oatmeal anymore.  In the time it takes to make instant, I can make old fashioned oats.  My go-to recipe for one serving is: 1/2 c quick oats,1 TBSP each powdered milk, craisins and raisins, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp sugar.  I usually make a bunch of these up in sandwich baggies to have on hand.  When I want oatmeal for breakfast or a quick snack, I dump a baggie into a microwave safe dish, add water and zap it for 1.5 minutes.  It gets hot as hell and stiff as a board, but I add enough cold water to make it the perfect creamy texture.  One serving has 256 calories and kills the hungries for hours and hours.  If I have it for breakfast at 7 or 8, I don’t need a 10:00 cheese stick before my 1:00 lunch.  Shoot!!  Now I want some oatmeal, but it’s way too late for something so heavy. lol

Best Answer

Hello,

If you want to eat sweet oatmeal, buy raw oatmeal packet (baggery or quaker) and boil it with skimmed milk along with raisins and crushed cardamom just for 4 to 5 minutes. Ensure to use brown sugar or keep it sugar free depending upon your sweet tooth. Garnish it with fresh berries and serve or eat warm.

Best Answer
0 Votes
👍🏻

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

If you're going to use instant oatmeal then try the steel cut oats flavors.  They have more texture than regular instant.  I also like to add either fresh or dried fruit.

Best Answer
vanilla extract,cinnamon,walnuts,raisins,nutmeg
Best Answer

CRSunrise...I am not the biggest fan of oatmeal but I find cooking the original quaker oat ones is not anywhere near as mushy.  I have found that I add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter powder and one packet of trivia adds flavor, protein and just the right amount of sweetness

Best Answer

Try steel cut oats.  Yes, you have to cook them for about 20/25 minutes but its worth it.  One cup oats and 4 cups liquid.  I use 3 cups water and 1 cup soy milk.  Heat them up during the week.  I like to add blue berries, banana and sliced almonds.

Best Answer

real maple syrup. but just a little

Best Answer

I opt for quick & easy steel cut oats (easy to make in the microwave) and add about 1/4 cup Power Up Trail Mix Mega Omega (Costco) which has the right balance of nuts and fruit for me. Since there's enough sugar in the trail mix, I don't feel the need to add more.

Best Answer
i just recently tried the McCormicks slow cooker seasoning pack of peaches n cream oatmeal bake. you add 2 eggs, 4 cups quick oats, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sugar,
some sliced almonds(optional ) and the seasoning pack. this turn out really good and is filling. you could probably substitute fresh peaches instead of the 1/2 cup of sugar as we all know that sugar is bad for us. i am going to read the spices these packs have and try to just use the seasonings without the packet as some have alot of preserves.
Happyonesd
Best Answer
0 Votes

Try using steel cut oats rather than instant rolled oats. They are firm, tasty and better for you from a blood sugar absorption standpoint. I make mine ahead in a slow cooker and store in the refrigerator for quick access to several servings during the week. You can make a very low calorie chocolate sauce to add to your oatmeal. Please note the source of this sauce recipe: Oatrageous Oatmeals.  Author:Kathy Hester.

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1/2 cup water (use more or less water to reach desired consistency).

1/2 to 1 tsp of stevia

1 tablespoon of agave nectar (optional). 

2 tsp vanilla

Mix the cocoa powder and water in a sauce pan over medium low heat. Whisk in stevia, agave (if using) and vanilla. Add more water as required to reach desired consistency. Calories: 21.3 per 2 tablespoons/Protein: 1.1 grams/total fat:0.7 grams/carbohydrates 5.2 grams/sodium 1.1 mg/fiber:1.9 grams.

Best Answer