Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

I think oatmeal taste best when it is in oatmeal, chocolate chip, and pecan cookies. 

Best Answer

@mysterymeat  LMAO!

Best Answer

The truth is - oatmeal is way over-rated. At least, the instant stuff is. 

I also know what you're talking about as far as taste goes. The instant stuff adds a LOT of sugar. 

The plain stuff - well, it's just gross by itself. I have no idea how people can eat that without at least 1/4 cup of brown sugar. AT LEAST! 

I've tried to be clever with it - using Peanut Butter. I had to add about 5 tablespoons - and it didn't sit well with my stomach. 

I've tried to add honey. Honey is expensive - too expensive to waste on oatmeal, especially given the amount I had to add to make it taste good enough to choke down. 

My conclusion is - don't eat it. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer
0 Votes

I ususally add a handful of raw almonds and fresh fruit, like raspberries or blueberries.  I usually use the plain oatmeal then add a tbsp of maple syrup.  

Best Answer

I agree that instant is not the way to go (is definitely the least healthy of the oatmeals). I prefer steel cut, and I add a fruit (any berry variety), chia seeds for crunch (1 tbsp) and then flax milk. I don't do refined sugar, but will add 1/4 tsp of swerve (sugar sub that doesn't mess with blood sugar) if my berries aren't sweet enough.

IMO, there's just too many carbs involved in oatmeal to not absolutely love it. If you cannot figure out how to dress it up (at least somewhat healthfully) to the point where you're crazy about it, then ditch it. 🙂 Good luck!

Brie | F | 46 | Indiana | Alta | Charge HR | Aria
Best Answer

@CRSunrise

I was on the same misson for what felt like FOREVER....  FINALLY this is what i found which makes my breakfast every day wonderful!  I am always running, so convenience is everything but the flavored instant oatmeals were all mushy and even though "flavored" never tasted like much.  I stumbled upon McCanns Instant Irish Oatmeal (Regular) which although instant, is steel cut oats and tastes nothing like instant.  I found it at Market Street.  I make it with milk (its best to heat the milk and pour over the oats rather than microwaving the oats in the milk but you can do either as well as making it with water if you don't like milk) let it still for 1 to 2 minutes.  I put 1.5oz of fresh blueberries, .5 oz of crushed mixed nuts, and 2 packets or Sugar in the raw on top and you have a gourmet fresh oatmeal breakfast!  I have a major sweet tooth and with cutting soda and sweets out completely this does the trick!  Sometimes I also add a tablespoon of Agave Nectar as well so all in (including Agave) its a 295 calorie breakfast with 7.5g of protien.  Obviously the toppings you choose are key to how much you will enjoy it but just a little bit of planning and prep and your awesome breakfast takes no longer than a gross, unsatisfying, chore of a breakfast!  I spend about 10 minutes on Sundays making little ziplock bags with the serving of blueberries, packets of sugar in the raw, and envelope of crushed nuts, enough for the week and then throw them in the fridge.  That makes the workdays just a quick grab and go.....

Good luck!!  🙂

Best Answer

@WendyB

I replied to the original post but saw yours and wanted to say - try McCanns Instant Irish Oatmeal!  It takes the same time as other instant oatmeals but its steel cut oats and tastes amazing without the investment of the time!  Enjoy!  🙂

Best Answer

@kristen925 I bought some McCanns last week and love it!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I add alittle PB2 - Dry peanut butter powder.  Delicious and adds a little protien.

Best Answer

Cream of wheat !   LOL  Smiley LOL

Goals: Low Carb, high fat, 70-20-10 .... lose 20 pounds by 6/2017
Best Answer

This isn't exactly oatmeal, but, my morning routine is 1/3 cup of slow rolled oats, with pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, with one heaping teaspoon each of ground flax, hemp hearts and chia seeds. I pour boiling water over the mixture and let sit for 5-10 minutes. I add flavoured yoghurt, or kefir with a bit of brown sugar. It's surprisingly satiating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I made a interesting crumble kind of dish yesterday. I added 1 1/4 cup of dates, 2 1/2 cups of rolled oats and 1 cup of unsweetened coconut and 1/4 cup of water in the food processor and blended well. Then added the 1 mashed banana to it and mixed well. Baked in the 400 F oven for 30 mins (It was golden brown) . Half way through, I mixed it and made sure it was not burnt.

This morning I had this with 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk, blueberries and nuts with it. It tastes delicious.  

Best Answer

I eat oatmeal at least 6 days a week and am usually pressed for time in the mornings so I used to use instant ( which I agree, is not very tasty, tends to be over sweet and mushy)  A wile ago, I found a frozen Steel Cut Oatmeat that I am hooked on.  It comes in several flavors- I usually use the plain (150 Cal)  or Vermont Maple Syrup (180 Cal) and it has really great texture and flavor.  I add two tablespoons of Golden Flax seeds and 1/4 pint of Blueberries which adds some nutty flavor and sweetness all for a total of between 290-320 calories all in.  It only takes 3 minutes in the Microwave ,no stirring required wile its cooking and the ingrediants list is perfect: 

"Filtered water, organic whole grain steel cut oats, sea salt"

It's "Good Food Made Simple Steel Cut Oatmeal Organic Original Unsweetened"  and I get it at Whole Foods in NY or Publix in Florida.  Hope this was helpful- Jim

http://www.goodfoodmadesimple.com/our-food/organic-original-unsweetened/

Best Answer

I should add - one trick I got from a book I read as a kid, Encyclopedia Brown, you suck on ice cubes, rubbing it over your tongue for about 5-10 minutes. That numbs your taste buds and you can choke anything down. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer

It's very easy to make your own version of instant oatmeal using whole oats and zip-lock bags. I make-up about 7 bags at a time, using 4 tablespoons of whole oats, nutmeg, cinnimon, and a small handfull of walnuts. It only takes about 45 seconds to make it in a microwave.

Best Answer

LOL!! I love oatmeal with fresh fruit and some maple syrup or honey. Also, if you try overnight oats, thats where its at. All you do is put oats, milk of your choice, dried fruit or nuts, and sweetner of your choice. Place that all in a bowl or glass jar with lid, sit it in fridge overnight, and enjoy 🙂

Best Answer

I was just commenting to my husband how yummy my oatmeal is right now! I made some organic steel cut oats from Trader Joe's, and mixed in some sunflower seed butter after I poured it into my bowl.  Topped it off with a glop of strawberry jam.  Yum!

Best Answer

I use quaker Old Fashioned oats with water, slice a banana into small pieces, add a little cinnamon and flax seed while cooking.  Stir constantly until the banana just becomes part of the oatmeal.  When done, serve with Maine blueberries and a bit of half and half or cream.  So good, especially on a cold morning.

Best Answer

Do you like pumpkin pie?  Try this recipe:  https://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/09/baked-pumpkin-pie-oatmeal/

IMO the spices need to be _doubled_ and the sugar cut back, I use a modified version.  But, you can make a batch and cut it into squares to re-heat later.

Best Answer

Instant Oatmeal will always have a funny taste, use regular rolled or steel cut oats,  they have more texture, you can always add chopped walnuts and apples with cinnamon and sweetener, or add the zero calorie Da Vinci syrup if you like maple or honey flavors.  I like mine with vanilla and Truvia with a sprinkle of nutmet

Best Answer