Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

Canned peaches would work out - I'd recommend adding them AFTER cooking and reheating the oatmeal or they'll totally turn to mush.  Not a bad idea to add a splash of vanilla and some cinnamon as well (assuming they're canned in juice not heavy syrup) - to add to that cobbler taste.

Also, there's a really good resource on oatmeal in various forms that helps with ideas for year round or throughout the day as breakfast, snack, or even in savory dishes for dinner/lunch - I've tried a ton of the breakfasts, most I love, a couple I've had to tone down (one was like candy bars for breakfast - yummy, but a bit more dessert-ish than I was ready for at that time of day).  You might want to check if your library has it.  It has tips on steelcut and rolled - how to make your own instant oats, overnight oats for in the refrigerator, baking instead of on the stovetop - and they're all pretty yummy.

book:

OATrageous Oatmeals: Delicious & Surprising Plant-Based Dishes From This Humble, Heart-Healthy Grain by Kathy Hester
Best Answer

I toss Old Fashioned oats in the grain cooker, add flax, berries. Grain cookers, aka "rice cookers" work great for Irish/Scottish oats too. 

I like a little salt in my oatmeal, and soy milk (unsweetened).

OR... the Scottish (speaking of) eat them with salt, pepper and butter, like grits. They actually are fabulous eaten that way. 

Best Answer

A tablespoon of lightly ground flax seed would give it some texture, nutty flavor and omega 3's...  Or a sprinkle of chopped raw almonds or walnuts as well. Those pre-packaged oatmeal packets are like flavored glue, they do need some help!  Skip the packet, make your own, save $ and less sugar.

Best Answer

@strawberry_ wrote:

Oatmeal is honestly an acquired taste and takes some time to get used to. Usually adding sugar and fruit makes it taste better. 

Maybe for some people.  I loved it the first time I tried it (which was when my 24 year old son was a baby!)  I had never tried it before, even as a kid -  just didn't like the look of it and just knew I wouldn't like it.  LOL!  Love the stuff.  Instant, or steel-cut.  Doesn't matter.  Yum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Confession: I am a loooong time oatmeal lover.  I used to boil it up in a pot, add in 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, a dash of salt, 1/4 tspn of cinnamon. Then I went to oatmeal, sliced/diced apples, cinnamon, artificial sweetener. Oatmeal is one of those base breakfast meals you can layer with yogurt & fresh fruit to your own taste... dress up or go bare bones.  A great staple if you need "stick to your ribs" for energy to fuel the day.  Its a "go to" versatile breakie when you have a high energy day ahead: cross country ski or running, or biking event... to me its a comfort food too - fond memories of making & eating oatmeal at grandparents' cottage & then going out to chop wood or hike. Heart

Best Answer
0 Votes

First, if I may, do NOT eat the instant stuff, it's ground so fine the particles digest FAST and leave you hungry fast too-- and it's pretty processed and has a bunch of chemicals you probably don't want to associate with your FOOD... go for the quick or better yet, old fashioned oats. Add nuts and dry berries to cook with the oats, or even granola towards the end of cooking so it doesn't disappear. Add some fresh fruit if you don't add dry while cooking. Pour some coconut or almond milk on it, and VOILA! Gourmet Oatmeal fit for ROYALTY! HINT: I LOVE Chinese Five Spice...I sprinkle some on my oats while they are cooking-- nicely cinnamon-y (also contains star anise, fennel, ginger, cloves, white pepper, and licorice root.)  OK, that's 7 spices, but it's CALLED "Chinese 5 Spice."  Shop around, different brands taste different.

Add cocoa nibs or carob or chopped apple-- or ANY COMBO you like!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DerrickS- when I'm on the protein shake kick (it comes and goes) I add oat flour into it.  I used to grind up oats in the blender first, but sometimes it was gritty.  At the moment the protein shakes I'm making include: unflavoured/unsweetened whey protein isolate, raw cacao powder, hemp hearts, oat flour, frozen berry blend, a little stevia if I remember.  It's not too bad without the sweetening though when I forget.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My friend told me to try sugar-free milk choc mix. Can use that for coffee too. I just add 1/4 tsp cinnimon to my whole oats and nothing else. But another friend told me to try a couple drops of vanilla extract.

Best Answer
0 Votes

h, and whole oats are better for you bt they have more texture than instant.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Add your favorite nuts, seeds, dried fruits, and so forth.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I like adding apples, blueberries, raisins, craisins, bananas, walnuts, sunflower seeds, hulled hemp seeds, and ground flax seed.  Possibilities are endless.  Instant is good for rushed mornings and adding your favorite fruits, grains, and seeds adds extra flavor and beneficial nutrients!

Best Answer

My favourite oatmeal toppings are

• Black forrest fruits (cherries, blackberries, blackcurrants)
  • Banana and golden syrup
  • Peanut butter and dark chocolate

I also use oats for more than oatmeal ie. oatmeal pancakes and cookies.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I became absolutely addictied to oatmeal parfeit for a while.  Cooking it the Hungry girl "Growing oats" way with twice as much water cooked longer, then putting it on saucers for refrigerating.  Later topping that with a layer of Greek plain fat free yogurt,  sweetened with aspartame.  And then rather a lot of "True Lemon" (dehydrated lemon juice).  Then  for crunch on top sprinkle a light layer of  Original Fiber one Cereal.  Enjoyed that 4 times a day.   I think I may have become lactose intolerant or something but I ate so much of that my body seemed to rebel.  I may try it again now.  It is so great though.  And it is low calorie, high protein, and high fiber too..  Use lots of True Lemon.

You can put a teaspoon of Coffee mate in your oatmeal water which makes it seem creamy or a little lemon juice  and then no cal sweetener. 

Best Answer
Personally, and there is a plethra of literature that supports this, I
feel aspartame is a dangerous chemical, AND carries the same downsides that
the other non-nutrititive sweeteners carry. It is more linked to CAUSATION
of diabetes type II, than to the CONTROL or ELIMINATION if it!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Barbarah,  The sugar industry has spent billions of dollars to convince you that artificial sweeteners are toxic.  Millions of people agree with you.  Aspartame has been tested more than any other food additive on the planet and hasn't been shown to cause harm.  I have eaten a boat load of it and have no health problems and I am at "ideal "   weight.    If a person has problems and the sugar industry says aspartame MAY cause this or that those people believe it but I don't.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have found that instant oatmeal (such as flavored packets) and have added sugar and no fiber. I prefer the old fashioned steel cut oatmeal (not processed food) and can add pumpkin or raisins to it. Also cinnamon helps you metabolize blood sugar

Best Answer

I have done this for years...   I am usually in a bit of a hurry and this works well... BTW, the more you eat oatmeal, the more you get used to the taste.. But this helps... me anyway...

I use the instant oats in the large can.  I measure out a certain amount of oats in a bowl using a scale, usually about 32 grams, then I add water and microwave for a couple of minutes to cook it... Immediately after microwaving it I add about 60 grams of frozen blueberries and stir them into the oats.  The frozen blueberries in the hot oats both equalize fairly quickly to a just right temp that can be eaten soon after cooking (because I am usually ina  rush).  

The blueberries are about the highest berry in antioxidants, so its better for you and adds a great taste to the oats (that I used to eat without anything but water). 

Give it a try... I"ve added a little sweetener or honey to the mix for others who just need to have that extra sweet taste, but the more I learn about higher insulin levels, the more I advise against using sugars as much as possible. 

Best Answer
I have a pretty solid stance on chemical additives. (Hardly ANYTHING
sweeter than honey!!) I don't want to eat chemical additives. I remember
"back in the day" when we we taught/told/made to believe RoundUp was GONE
in 5-7 days and nontoxic to animals, humans included. Now, it's being
labeled as a potential carcinogenic and a known neurotoxin. (Related to the
EXPLOSION of kids with autism?? Elders with.dementIa/Alzheimers?) Back in
the day, cigarettes were advertized as "the cigarette PREFERRED by more
doctors!"
I am solid on non-chemical additives, too. I don't trust them! Sometimes
"natural flavorings" aren't so great EITHER!
>> Do you know that a "natural" RASPBERRY flavoring is actually oftentimes
BEAVER **ahem** GLAND JUICE EXTRACT!?!? YIKES!<<
I DO NOT TRUST the non-earth-grown food industry. (And even.then some
things are iffy!) "If it was factory-made: don't eat it!!"
Best Answer

I am with you Barbarahhh on the chemical additives and everything you say. I try to grow all my own food as much as I can without any sprays 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast. I use instant oats in the microwave but microwave frozen berries seperatly and mix it all together. I like frozen berries better than fresh because when you warm them it makes almost a syrup juice. Not as healthy but way better than dry oatmeal 

Best Answer
0 Votes