Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

@USAF-Larry wrote:

If you want some great oatmeal, use a slow cooker to let it cook overnight. Put  Steel Cut Oats, water, dried fruit, and spices of your choosing in the cooker, set on low and let it simmer overnight. The next morning, your breakfast will be waiting for you.

OK. I just set up the slow cooker with a cup of steel oats, a cup of cranberries, a half to a cup of dried apples I dehydrated myself a few months ago and about 4 cups of water and half a cup of milk.  Got it on low.  We'll see how it goes tomorrow morning ...   

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Turned out pretty good.  A very porridge-like consistency after 9 hours on low.  Yield is 4 cups at around 300 cal/cup.  The dried apples and cranberries made it sweet and sucked up some of the liquid; taste and consistency was a bit like warm homemade applesauce.  I had about 2/3 cup this morning, which was plenty (especially since I also had two fried eggs and a couple strips of bacon!).  My wife tried about 1/3 cup and gave a thumbs up too!

2/3 cup of "crock pot oatmeal"2/3 cup of "crock pot oatmeal"

AND, I've got three more cups for the rest of the week.  Not bad for a Saturday night whim.

3 cups "crock pot" oatmeal3 cups "crock pot" oatmeal

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

I just remembered my favorite way to make oatmeal. Heat coconut oil in the pan and TOAST the oats first. Then add soy milk and bring to a boil, add a pinch of salt and some spices. Stir until thick. YUM!

Best Answer

@trishe - coconat oil sounds good.  Similar to my normal method for cooking Irish steel cut oats.  The night before I use butter to toast the oats in a pan, then move toasted oats to a pot with 3.25 to 1 liquid (usually just water but sometimes chicken broth and milked added) to oats ratio and bring to boil; simmer a couple minutes and then cover pot and turn off the stove. Let sit overnight to absorb liquid.  The next morning it is good to go after about 5 minutes of reheating.  Nice buttery toast taste; good and chewy.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

I don't eat regular white sugar so I sauteed an organic apple with a little butter, cinnamon and a packet of stevia, put my organic oats with some more cinnamon cook it all together.  Its so good.  I use the microwave and a half cup of dry oats to a slight cup of cold water and cook it for three minutes.  Its yummy and perfect. 

Best Answer

Did you know quaker oats have pestisides in them?   I get mine from the health food store. 

Best Answer

Thats a great idea and I to use stevia.  I love walnuts, chopped apples, cinnamon and flax seed in mine. 

Best Answer

use half liguid recommended, crusted almonds, blackberries + Mirrabooka protien and eat uncooked.

Best Answer

I eat regular oatmeal and add 1 T of peanut butter to it, throw a few blueberries on top. 

Best Answer

I recommend using Quacker Old Fashioned oats. Use milk instead of water and add cinnamon and sweeten it with honey or add fruits. Cook the oatmeal on the stovetop. If you like cold oats, get mason jars and create overnight oats. Just google it and you can find some real good recipes. If your looking for more protein add a scoop of your favorite protein powder.

Best Answer
You HAD me all the way up to the bacon and 2 eggs. This time last year, I
would have been on that same team. Last March, I learned that much, if not
ALL, the heath issues I had been experiencing were caused by my intake of
animal-based foods. I went 100% plant-based and all those concerns are
either GONE, or are GOING! One concrete thing that is absolutely UNDENYABLE
is that 54# of my excess weight is GONE! I don't have it on my body
anymore. My joints are no longer stiff and achey, and my blood pressures
are always within normal limits.
Now, I'm not saying everyone has to follow this path, just that it's
working PERFECTLY for me, and my beloved husband as well. Less than a YEAR
later, and we are both so very much better now. The doctors we used to see
regularly are ASTOUNDED!
Best Answer

Try baked oatmeal!  The consistency is similar to a cereal bar.  There are some great recipes out there!  Good luck!

Best Answer

i have known people to add various nuts and raisins into it. Though i have not tried this myself so i couldnt tell you how it tastes but just an idea for you if you wish to try it

Best Answer

Add nuts of some sort, and fresh fruit.  It's killer. 

Best Answer

I tend to eat quinoa, but it'll certainly apply perfectly to oatmeal: A tablespoon of maple syrup or honey for some healthy sweetness, any kind of frozen fruit (I prefer to keep multiple mixes on hand for variety)... a serving of semi-sweet chocolate morsels is a great addition as well.

Adding a bit of granola once it's cooked is also a good source of crunch.

And as has been stated: say no to instant packets. They'll always be mush.

Best Answer

Congratulations Barbarahhhh I have done the same and like you it is working for me being all plant based, my joint are no longer painful 🙂 

Best Answer

Probably not the greatest, but I take one packet of instant oatmeal, and either add a cut up banana, or a heaping teaspoon of crunchy peanut butter to it after cooking it. It makes it heartier, and adds a little flavor. I will not spend time on preparation of stuff like this, so that's as much as I do.

Taste? It's ok. Not great, but reasonable. I'm just eating it to start my day by eating something reasonable, calories-wise, and that fits.

Best Answer

PB2 mixes like heaven into my morning oatmeal.

images.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

If you can handle the calories that come with it, use real peanut butter.

mmmm peanut butter :droolingpanda:

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you use steel cut oats and cook it no more than 25 minutes it will not be mushy. Add some fruit and walnuts and it will taste better.

Best Answer
0 Votes

well, first of all, because it tastes so mooshy is because of the instant oats. If u r on a hurry somewhere then sure use instant oatmeal but if u have extra time i would recommend actually buying rolled oats and making it yourself as u can adjust the texture to it much better and it's far more healthier.

With the porridge itself i would first add some brown sugar, then i would put on the ready made porridge some blueberries and i like to sprinkle some bottle green syrup as it gives a nice sweet taste and if u r putting the syrup on the porridge, don't add any sugar before as it will be sweet already. 

for a more crunchier taste, i like to sprinkle on my porridge any cereal or muesli and over it some honey and cinnamon. Trust me, this combination tastes really good. I hope this helps xxx

Best Answer