Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

Never packages, always whole oats.  I like to add frozen fruit that I've warmed up in the microwave first then maple syrup not refined sugar.

Best Answer

I to use old fashion oats.  I cook with almond milk (vanilla) a little butter and add banana.  Most times no added sugar needed because of the milk.  To switch it up I'll do it with cinnamon and raisins, or add fruit like apples.

Best Answer
That sounds delicious!

Brett Crawley
Best Answer
0 Votes

You could add some chopped nuts for texture. Yogurt added to oatmeal un-blands it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I go for Oats So Simple the plain kind to avoid the added sugar, I have a 27g sachet of that, I had Almond Milk to the line (130ml I believe), microwave that for 2 minutes, then I add a "Banoffee" Protein from MyProtein, gives the Banana taste without the added Carbs and a few Blueberries, if I have been known to add a Mandarin too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You should try this Jamie Oliver Chocolate Oats Recipe:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/breakfast-recipes/chocolate-porridge/

It is delish! 

I know it's a bit of effort just for porridge but you can make up a batch which will last a couple of weeks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

https://www.fitbit.com/group/233H9R Come and Join us........

@mysterymeat wrote:

I think oatmeal taste best when it is in oatmeal, chocolate chip, and pecan cookies. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Come Check out relentless https://www.fitbit.com/group/233H9R

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow!!!  I am quite impressed....definitely lots of great oatmeal ideas here for sure.  I never use the package flavored oatmeal.   Way too much sugar......I love the steel cut oatmeal....I add canned pumpkin, cinnamon and walnuts.....Really good...

Sometimes I add unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon.....As we all see on this thread....there are countless ways to eat oatmeal....Sadly I have been trying to lower my cholesterol for five years through diet and was unsuccessful.  I am sad to say I must start medication....however oatmeal is healthy for me in many other ways and I most definitely will keep eating it.

Best Answer

Believe it or not carb control and cholesterol go hand in hand...Also if you dont get enough fat and cholesterol daily your body will go NUTTTS creating it....And bodily created cholesterol from what i researched is not good for you at all....Fyi diet wise...Here is a tidbit of interesting info for ya....To many sugars wither it be clean or natural occurring are absolutely hard on your body and anything w fructose or Corn syrup should be considered poisonous. Steer clear of the pink sweeteners as well...Your body can deal with medium day to day amounts of fat and cholesterol..But food ladin in carbs are also naturally high in sugar....And if you dont have the body composition to support all the carbs your taking in your body will kill itself storing and assimilating and discarding it.  Carbs are carbs no matter how ya eat em... Rule of thumb...Never Mix Carbs and fats if at all possible....Protein and Carbs and Protein and Fat is ok. As a rule make your daily intake overall consistantly Heavy protein by ALOTT and light on the Carb side.........And by all mean get the veggies in...Spinach,Shrooms Peppers brocc Avacado so on...

Best Answer

You josh 

Best Answer
0 Votes

People tend to put the most basic healthy foods under such a small microscope. Oatmeal has too many carbs? I have to ask one question: if you don't eat oatmeal, what's your replacement? If it is eggs, too much cholesterol. If it is cereal, probably too much sugar and oh-by-the-way, cereal has carbs too. Is it french toast or pancakes? Again, too much sugar and fat. Oatmeal is a super-food for any person. It is loaded with nutrients needed for daily energy boosts. It has the power to provide satisfy hunger pangs in the morning. I struggle eating pancakes, cereal, or any other option in the morning because it still leaves me hungry unless I eat more. I charted how many calories I eat each day. After I started eating oatmeal, I averaged about 150 less daily calories (most of those coming from the morning to early afternoon). I am up by 5 am in the morning, and so needed a strong breakfast. I would be interested in hearing a better option to a morning meal than oatmeal (I acknowledge that fish and vegetables might do better, but come on, nobody in the western hemisphere has time for cooking that).

Best Answer
0 Votes
Oatmeal is not for everybody. While it is perhaps one of the better grains
out there, some of us do not do well with most grains. My blood has been
tested and oats cause inflammation for me. A much better breakfast for me
is eggs, with lots of veggies, scrambled with coconut oil. The latest
research shows that eating cholesterol (such as in the form of eggs) does
NOT cause high cholesterol. *Sugar* does. Despite having 2 eggs nearly
every day (or perhaps because of it...) my HDL is 93 and my LDL is
96--perfect cholesterol, thank you. I try to eat more paleo. Though I
sometimes have lentils.
Best Answer

Making oatmeal delicious:

1. Get several buckets of oatmeal.

2. Feed oatmeal to pig. 

3. Slaughter pig. 

4. Eat bacon. 

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer

Hmmm I am up at 4 am......My Breakfast consists of 2 whole eggs 5 whites....With 1/3 cup mushrooms and 1.5 cups spinach....And a lil tapatio...Good stuff...lol I eat oatmeal every night...I am an Oatmeal snob...My fav is Snwoqualmie Falls lodge Oatmeal.....You wont find any better....

Best Answer

As far as I am concerned, any instant oatmeal tastes and looks exactly like wallpaper paste!

Woman Frustrated

Go the old fashioned steel cut oats every time. You don't even have to cook them! Simply soak them overnight (just enough liquid to cover them) in whatever liquid you fancy, milk, nut milks (including coconut milk), fruit juice, coconut water, even just plain water. In the morning stir in some unsweetened natural Greek yogurt and whatever fruit you like (go seasonal or use defrosted frozen berries or mango) or if you have a sweet tooth try some dried fruit (e.g. raisins, chopped dates, naked ginger....). Sprinkle with a few seeds, nuts or seed/nut mix (cashew, almonds, walnuts, pistachio, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, flax, etc) for a bit of crunch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

donna0627 try looking for a product with high levels of beta-glucan. Oats are a good source but not all oats are equal in this. Its the beta-glucan that can help lower LDL cholesterol not just oats per se. There is a product in Europe (I don't know where you are) called betaglucare. They have a website so please check it out. You may be successful with this and avoid the medication at least for a while longer. Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have apple cinnamon oatmeal too! I usually add my protein powder in it, fruits, and nuts. 🙂

Twenty something nursing student ❤ | Charge 2 | iPhone | Windows 8.1
Best Answer
0 Votes

I wouldn't recommend going for the instant oats as they have a reduced the fiber content as compared to the old fashioned oats. One way I make my oatmeal palatable is by cooking it with mashed banana and then adding walnuts and frozen berries to it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I dumped oatmeal for oatbran... yummy reminds me of farina but without the sugar... feel free to add banana and sliced almonds for protein

Best Answer
0 Votes