Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

I love my overnight oats with something as simple as raisins and maple syrup added .  Yum 

So many options On pinterest

Shan

Looking for likeminded health and wellness people to join my Facebook Community 

https://www.facebook.com/shan.farrar.73

Best Answer
0 Votes

For the summertime, I really like trying different overnight oats recipes. You don't have to cook the oats and its a quick cold breakfast that you can even take with you. There's one I like that tastes like french toast. Its basically just old fashioned oats, almond milk, vanilla extract, banana, maple syrup, and cinnamon. It tastes really good and keeps me fueled for much longer, even if I have a lot cycling to do that day. 

Also, I found that the main thing I didn't like about oatmeal was the texture. I don't like the sloppy goopy texture of it. So, I cook old fashioned oats but only for 5 mins, so that they're still pretty firm and I strain the water out. After that I add my fixings and maybe a little almond milk. So, if texture is the issue, try that. 

Best Answer

Use the real stuff, not instant, you can buy all sorts of sugar-free syrups online so you can add sweetness without calories.  I like blueberry and cherry.

You can also make cookies or muffins out of your oatmeal.  I made cookies out of oats, banana, dried fruit and a few chopped nuts for a diabetic friend who is allergic to all sorts of things and he loved them.  I didn't grind the oats, though, I like texture, I just let them sit for a while before baking.

Retired disabled, Charge5, Android, Win 10
Best Answer

@JoggerJosh  If you don't have much time to cook in the morning but want to include fish, how about half an English muffin topped with smoked salmon and scrambled egg, possibly with a spoonful of dill and horseradish sauce on top.  You could swap the salmon with smoked mackerel or hot-smoked salmon or ham for a change.  Yummy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I buy my oats from the bulk section of my grocer. I will measure out a half cup and prep a bunch of fruit; strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, apples, peaches etc and put it in top. A great way to prep breakfast and literally just grab and go in busy mornings. Just add hot water. Way less sugar than prepackaged oatmeal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I really love these, they are simple yet delicious fast breakfast, once you have tasted them and approve, you can even have the oatmeal flour pre milled if you wish.Banana Oatmeal Pancakes.

http://www.thewholesomefork.com/2015/09/19/banana-oatmeal-protein-pancakes-gluten-free/

up to now one of my favorite ways to include oatmeal into my breakfast, the other is making a milkshake with different fruits and adding 1/4 of a cup of oatmeal into the blender and blending with a little vanilla or coconut extract for a delicious, fast, satisfying breakfast. ps if you want to sweeten the milkshake you can use honey or sugar, I prefer not to add sugar.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good walnut fats, tasty cinnamon, and local honey. Yummy!

Best Answer
0 Votes

That sounds fantastic.  I will try this!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I try in a different way: Here you go..

I always use Old Fashioned Oats.

1. Soak them overnight and make as a batter (grinding) as we use for pan cakes in the morning.

2. Put little salt in the batter.

3. Apply light oil on stove top Pan or griddle..pour the batter rounded as we do same for pan cakes. 

4. Sprinkle red onions (small cuts) and let it fry 2 to 3 minutes, ( I sprinkle Jalapenos (small cuts) as well).

5. Enjoy them hot, you can try with hummus for dipping if you like it.

6. You might like them hopefully.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My absolute fav.. old fashion oats, with soy or coconut milk, half a mashed banana, 1 spoon of cocoa powder, 2 mashed dates. Sometimes if I'm looking for something a bit more sweet, I'll add a teaspoon of Agava syrup. So good !! Let me know if you try it ☺

Best Answer
0 Votes

The biggest thing for me is that it has texture. Some people like their oatmeal soupy but I like to have some crunch and different consistencies in my oats. I do this by:

1) baking my oats with just enough water (I cook them in the oven in single serve mason jars when I prep for the week)

2) adding toppings (reduced sugar craisins + almond slivers are my go-to). 

To make the base edible I start with regular oats, add vanilla extract, cinnamon and apple butter. Depending on your serving amount you can easily stay within a 200-300 calorie range for a healthy breakfast. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Steel cut oats (not instant) cooked stovetop mixed with PB2 is a favorite of mine.

If you're in a pinch with the instant, maybe try to cook it a little shorter than needed?

Best Answer

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I am just giving another vote to Steel Cut Oats! They have much better nutritional value and you can control the amount of sugar (pre packed flavoured oatmeal has SO much sugar).

I make 3 days worth of oats ahead of time. I cook them in water with some nutmeg and cinnamon added. When I am ready to eat, I add half a teaspoon of brown sugar and some raisins. You can come up with all sorts of flavour combos. I've even used peanutbutter and a little cocoa powder!

Best Answer

Oatmeal with maple syrup tastes good. Fruits and berry topping will also give good taste.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love oatmeal, but not that nasty, mushy instant stuff.  I eat only steelcut or old fashioned.  I also like the whole groats.  Nuts, flaxseed, spices, and fruit give you so many ways to make it that it is never boring.  My favorites are raisins and diced apples with cinnamon and a tiny pinch of nutmeg.  Diced peaches canned  in their own juice with cinnamon, nutmeg, and pecans is awesome.  If you used canned pumpkin just add pumpkin pie spice, and maple syrup or coconut sugar,  yum.  I like coconut sugar or sin free sugar, although that sweetener is exspensive.

I even enjoy oatmeal for other meals, it is just a matter of not cooking it to death and adding fruit, spices, seeds and  nuts that you enjoy. 

I wouldn't even feed that instant stuff to my kids or dog, not that they would eat it!  As some have suggested different nut milks too, it is all good!

Best Answer

Thanks HeatherAT, I am going to look for that book.  I love oats for breakfast, in breads, fruit crisps and of course oatmeal, raisin, nut cookies.  Looking forward to finding more ways to use this awesome grain.  You get my vote!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can even use oats (not the instant 'wall-paper paste' packet stuff) as coatings on fish instead of breadcrumbs. In fact you could substitute oats whenever breadcrumbs are required - meatloaf, meatballs, fish cakes, rissoles........

Best Answer

Add a couple of handfuls of oats to crumble topping for fruit or to a gratin - I like to gratinate mac 'n cheese, the toasty oat topping adds both taste and texture, yummy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I always use Old Fashioned oats (1/2 cup oats and a little under 1 cup water) I microwave it for two minutes then add some local honey, a little bit of stevia, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and a banana! Very filling and quick to make. 

Best Answer

I can't take the mushiness of oatmeal so I buy the instant flavored oatmeal by Quaker.  I dice up apples, and add the packet in layers (oatmeal, apples, oatmeal and apples) then microwave it for a minute.  It comes our more like apple pie 🙂  

Best Answer