Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

Oatmeal is a grain.  No one should be eating oatmeal.  If you have to have it, soak it and then dehydrate it.  It might change the taste, so add cacao powder, cacao nibs, raw honey (sugar is bad for the gut in any form though, so try vanilla extract to sweeten), add soaked and dehydrated walnuts (because they have phytates which are antinutrients that block nutrients from absorbing into your body).  With all the trouble it takes to make nutritious oatmeal, you might as well have eggs for breakfast.   But hey, some people cut out eggs too, so why complain? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@productivity:

Oatmeal is a grain.  No one should be eating oatmeal.  If you have to have it, soak it and then dehydrate it.  It might change the taste, so add cacao powder, cacao nibs, raw honey (sugar is bad for the gut in any form though, so try vanilla extract to sweeten), add soaked and dehydrated walnuts (because they have phytates which are antinutrients that block nutrients from absorbing into your body).  With all the trouble it takes to make nutritious oatmeal, you might as well have eggs for breakfast.   But hey, some people cut out eggs too, so why complain? 

What is your source? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm on the paleo diet and I have learned from people like terry wahl's and Chris kresser, both of whom put me on an elimination diet to test out whether I am allergic to different foods.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good luck with the Paleo diet.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@productivity wrote:

Oatmeal is a grain.  No one should be eating oatmeal. 

@productivity: if you are allergic to grains in general, or to oat in particular, or to gluten (though there’s no gluten in oats), then by all means eliminate them from your diet, but don’t assume they’re bad for everyone else. Oatmeal works great for me, and I’m eating it every morning. I don’t see why I shouldn’t eat it.

As to the "paleo" diet: there are very good things about it, like the fact it promotes eating whole food and vegetables, but its pseudo-scientific justification is flawed. The environment of the Paleolithic period is so different from the modern world we live it we shouldn’t try to get clues from it as regarding our eating today. I suggest you listen to what Dr. Mike Israetel says about what it was really like to live in the Paleolithic time in this podcast (from 11:30 to 17:45).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Just to add 2 cents to the paleo debate, contrary to today's prosthelytising, there were in fact many different versions of paleo diet at the time and all depended on where you lived. Coastal living for example would have meant a diet high in seafood and low to no animal meat, whereas inland communities would have had pretty much the reverse. What we now know as fruit and vegs would have been in more or less abundance/availability not to mention the seasonality of what may have been available, also depending on where you lived. To insist on a single version of an ancient diet is quite simply ridiculous. By all means lower the animal product and up the fruit and veg quotient of your diet but remember that we are all individuals and nothing suits everyone the same. Just look at all the variations on how to improve oatmeal for evidence of that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hate cooked oatmeal, but I love the overnight oats.  There are a ton of recipes on the Quaker Oats website.  My favorite is 1/2 cup old fashion oats, 1/2 vanilla unsweetened almond milk, 1/4 cup of fresh or frozen raspberries and 1/4 cup of light and lively vanilla greek yogurt.  I put the oats and milk in container, top it with the fruit, then the yogurt.  Cover and let it sit in refrigerator overnight.  In morning, I take out to take chill off, mix and eat.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven't read the whole thread but I read your original post.....

I love love love oatmeal for breakfast.  It leaves me feeling full for longer than a lot of options.  I don't do the packets but I get a big 'ol tub of rolled oats, scoop out a cup, and add whatever I'm in the mood for.....apples with a tablespoon of brown sugar....peaches are another fav.....I even tried a peanutbutter and jam combo (not my favorite but it made me giggle). 

Have fun with it!  You may find a fun combo that no one else has come up with!  : )

Best Answer
0 Votes

I make a pan-full of steel cut oatmeal (the long cooking kind) on the weekend, divide into individual servings to refrigerate and microwave during the week with addition of unsweetened vanilla almond milk or any milk of your choice and chopped walnuts.  Makes an instant, healthy breakfast.  During cooking, I add chopped apple, raisins or craisins, and lots of cinnamon.  Other options are nutmeg, real maple syrup, chia seed, flax seed, hemp seed.  Use your imagination and create whatever instant oatmeal flavor you like using healthy ingredients.  Make it easy by using frozen fruit or unsweetened applesauce.  Try adding other fruits or peanut butter, butter and brown sugar with pecans, etc.  Keep it healthy by minimizing the added sugars. (my opinion is that the instant oatmeal packets are not real food and a waste of money)

Best Answer
0 Votes

"Best Oatmeal Ever"  The local organic grocery store has fresh milled oats that you process through the mill while you wait, so you go home with the freshest milled oats possible. They make the absolute best slow cooker oatmeal. Add some cinnamon and raisins, and yum, yum....

Fresh Milled Oats.jpg

Best Answer

I don't like my oatmeal mushy either. I prefer the Quaker oats "original"  or "steel cut". I easily make it at work by 1/2 filling a mug with oats, add water to just cover them. Either use very hot water from the coffee machine or microwave for 1 minute. add cinnamon and sometimes little apple chunks or nuts . I think it's delicious and has a lot better consistency  than the precooked oatmeal.  mixing the steel cut & regular also gives an interesting variation. .. I do not add sugar since I think the cinnamon provides enough sweetness. ( or add a bit of dark chocolate to make a hearty dessert!)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Add cinnamon and fruit like blueberries and strawberries  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I like to have it as you said jm4fit, but many people don't like to eat it plainly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought the Instant Sugar Free maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal. I make it with water and add a banana its super good and its good in calories. Almost 200 calories including the banana.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I add Coffee Mate Sugar Free French Vanilla and cinnamon... It's yummy.... I've also used the sugar free Hazelnut, which is great too....  Overnight steel cut crock pot oats is in my opinion the best way to make it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I eat oatmeal 5 mornings a week -- NEVER eat Instant oatmeal, use Old-fashioned oatmeal. I cook in microwave 3 minutes at 80% power so doesn't overflow bowl (use extra water).

THEN:  add 1 tbsp each ground flaxseed and hemp seeds (extra protein), dried goji berries, dried cherries (1 tsp of each), 1 heaping tbsp diced walnuts, and almost 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries, some 1% milk. Don't taste the oatmeal at all. yummm.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Old Fashion Oats can be cooked in a microwave in about 2 and half minutes. Pre-packaged has tons of sugar and garbage added to it.  Make it fresh.  It's just as quick and much better for you.  Personally, I like to make it in a pressure cooker, but it does take about 15 minutes from start to finish to do it that way.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can cook old fashioned oatmeal in a microwave in about the same time, and it tastes MUCH better.  I add just a dab of milk, brown sugar, and cinnamon.  Sometimes I will add bannana, strawberries, walnuts, raisins, and lately, I have been adding chunky peanut butter.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Microwave old fashioned oats and they are done in 2-3 minutes.  Pour everything in and nuke it.  Personally, I like to use a pressure cooker, but that does take longer.  I usually let it cook while getting my lunch for the day packed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Some great tips here!  I'm a recent convert to overnight steel cut oats.  I prep everything in a 2 cup bowl with a lid the night before, let it sit covered in the fridge overnight, and it's ready the next morning.  My base recipe 1/4 cup steel cut oats, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 cup milk.  You can also try almond milk or plain kefir in place of milk.  I don't add any sweetener.  The vanilla extract and fruit toppings provide enough sweetness for me.  You can get creative with the toppings.  I like to do a fresh berry and sliced almond version, or one with bananas and walnuts.  Going to try cinnamon, raisins and pecans next.  If you find you still need a sweetener, I think honey and pure maple syrup enhance oatmeal.

A word of advice.  I would eat this oatmeal slowly and chew thoroughly.  Drink lots of water with it.  This meal will fulfill about half your daily fiber requirement, and you can avoid some serious bloating and discomfort by heeding this advice.

Best Answer
0 Votes