Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

Hi there,

I love to buy organic plain oatmeal then after adding my water, I dice up a crispy apple and drizzle with local honey. It's delicious!! Good luck. 

Starting Weight: 235 (Dec. 19, 2012)
Goal Weight: 140
Current Weight: 198 (Recommitting!!)
Lowest Weight Since Starting: 174 (March 02. 2016)
Best Answer

What a busy guy does: I buy instant oatmeal in the big container. During the weekend, I'll package up 1/3 cup oatmeal, about 1/4 cup walnuts and about 1/8 cup dried raisins. My preference is to use the mini snack bags, but sandwich bags work fine as well. I'll take all of these pre-packaged breakfasts to work and keep in my drawer. Grab my cup....pour contents in.....cover with hot water from the water machine and wait 5 minutes! Tasty, naturally sweetened and a little crunchy! Cheers!

Best Answer

When I eat my oatmeal I add 1/4 cup of granola to it. Sometimes I add strawberries, blueberries, or what every fruit I have on hand. I might add raisins, or walnuts, almonds all depend on what I have on hand

Best Answer

I cook Steel Cut Oats in the morning. I add a quarter chopped Apple, sunflower seeds and a little bit of cinnamon and I'm good to go.   When nectarines were available I would use that.   Most times I use my own on homemade granola.  By chopping up pecans, walnuts, almonds,  and maybe some other nuts if available  and sunflower seeds together, putting them in a Ziploc bag and using that as a topping for my oatmeal.  I also switch up with using blueberries, BlackBerries or strawberries when available.  Some kinda good! I'm looking forward to trying some of those other things such as peanut butter and pomegranate Aprils. Seems like it will be good.

Best Answer

Returned to my old standby this morning of steel cut oats (5 minute variety), cranberries, nuts (sunflower seeds this time), and cinnamon.  

I generally prefer dried fruit in warm dishes like oats, but fresh berries of any kind with a mixed with a bit of plain greek yogurt make a great pairing with a warm oats concoction. 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

If it is mooshy, you have to add more water. I generally fill up an extra few ounces to keep it from being like that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Feed it to a cow then once fat enough cut into steaks, sausages, beef roasting joint etc - its the only way to make oatmeal taste good

Charge 2, 3 - Windows 8.1 - Samsung S6, S8, S9 - Each day we learn something new is a day not wasted
Best Answer

@ashwolve wrote:

Feed it to a cow then once fat enough cut into steaks, sausages, beef roasting joint etc - its the only way to make oatmeal taste good

Ha!  That answer is almost worth marking as an "Accepted Solution."  But I won't since I do like oatmeal -- as well as steaks, sausages, etc.  Man LOL

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@Baltoscott you did say better but you can have both lol beef and oat casserole , steak and egg oatmeal or Salisbury Steak, to name but a few Smiley Happy

Charge 2, 3 - Windows 8.1 - Samsung S6, S8, S9 - Each day we learn something new is a day not wasted
Best Answer

@ashwolve wrote:

@Baltoscott you did say better but you can have both lol beef and oat casserole , steak and egg oatmeal or Salisbury Steak, to name but a few Smiley Happy

I add a spoon of peanut butter, or 1/2 cup blueberries or any fruit you like, or spices that u like  or make oatmeal cookies.  hope this helps

Best Answer
0 Votes

Instant oatmeal is not very good. It took me a little while to come around to oatmeal too, but I've found a way to yum it up while reaping all of its beautiful benefits:

Definitely ditch the instant oatmeal for the old fashioned oats (store brand tastes just as good as name brand). I make a 1/2 cup of oatmeal with a 1/2 cup of almond milk. Then, I add a drop or two of vanilla flavoring, and a pinch of stevia sweetener. Mix it and heat it up, then serve with chopped pieces of banana. It is delicious!

Best Answer

Im always adding one table spoon of sweetener in it.

Or 10-15 grams of honey.

Ill mix 30 to 100 grams with water and put it in the microwave for about one and a half minute.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Avoid instant. It's too processed.  DO USE STEEL CUT!  It's the least processed.  Least processed = more nutrients.  And you can make it before bed for the morning after.  It soaks up the water (or milk) overnight.   For flavor that isn't loaded with sugar, add a small amount of raisins and/or banana, and/or apricot, and or dried cherries/cranberries.  And a little cinnamon goes a long way.  🙂

Best Answer

You could add dried cranberries and almonds or even dark chocolate if you had to have it. You can pretty much add anything to it. I like to cook mine so its thicker, I can't stand runny oatmeal. Actually, to ge honest I don't care for it at all. I stick to smoothies and eggs for breakfast. lol!

Best Answer
0 Votes

it taste beter with fruit 

Best Answer
0 Votes

In the morning I have rolled oats (not cooked) and put in half scoop vanilla whey protein. little bit of milk and frozen berries fruit eat like a cereal. the vanilla whey helps make oats taste better and process good recipe for slimming down abs. try it out its great 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Overnight cold method: Use a package of regular oat (non-sweeten, you can also use rolled oat), add half a cup of milk (1% or 2%), half a cup of water, half a cup of frozen berries, 5oz of banana. Throw this in the fridge overnight, add a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder before serve. This is super addicting and great with macros. 

Hot Method: Use 1 package of oats or ~1oz to a pot, add 1 cup of milk or water (or mixed). Cook this until desired textures, add 2 Tsp of Peanut butter, 1 scoop of chocolate whey. This is a great recipe if you want to put on some weight. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I usually use the store brand's 1 minute oatmeal in the big container. I place a 1/2 cup of it into a plastic lidded container, which I take to work, adding a little cinnamon to it. (I leave for work before my stomach can take anything more than coffee.)  I add either a small container of unsweetened applesauce, or about 1/8 cup of sugar-free maple-flavored syrup to it. Or, perhaps a small amount of either raisins or dried cranberries (no more than a tbsp) gets added to it. Depending on what I've added, I might add no-calorie sweetener to it as well.  When I get to work, I add just a little water -- not nearly what the recipe on the carton calls for -- and cook it in the microwave for about a minute.  Now, I've loved oatmeal since I was on Gerber's Baby Oatmeal, so it sits well with me.

When we're on trips, I steer clear of the flavored packets of instant oatmeal. They have too much sugar for my blood (literally).  There are packets that do not contain any sugar, and those are what I head for. On our last trip, the place we stayed did not have the unflavored packets, so I went to the local grocery store and bought some.  They aren't as good when you're in a hotel room with no applesauce, raisins or cranberries to dress them up. But they'll do, in a pinch!

Donna 

T2D

Best Answer
0 Votes

I felt like a change and bought oatmral with ancient grains. It is really yummy! I just have it with soy milk and love the nutty sort of grain taste. It was a good purchase!

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ty will give it a try

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes