Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kitchen Scales?

Hello!

I always had an issue with portion control and I am bad at eye-balling, mostly because I never really bothered to keep track of how much I ate. 

I have been going to the gym and exercising at home steadily for the past month and a half (I am proud of myself! I usually stop...) and my exercise habits are good (I do cardio and weights). I also have made changes in what I eat. The only thing I haven't really worked on was portion control and measuring what I eat.

I don't mind doing it, but I would like to know what your opinions are on kitchen scales and if you have any recommendations for a pretty good, affordable one. I am a university student haha.

Thank you!

Twenty something nursing student ❤ | Charge 2 | iPhone | Windows 8.1
Best Answer
0 Votes
12 REPLIES 12

I already had one, but I saw this offer at my local Lidl (chain of German discount stores) and I bought one (the round one with spices, I didn’t want one with "Delicious cookies" or photos of donuts!):

2017-03-14_2202.png

The price was just too cheap to resist Smiley LOL. Anyway, any digital kitchen scale is better than no scale, you don’t have to buy a fancy/expensive one.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep you dont need fancy just one with the tare feature

Here is a cheap one on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/1byone-Digital-Kitchen-Precise-Multifunction/dp/B018LXSPEA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8...

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Haha thank you! The scale looks so cute but the photos are tempting. 🙂

I read that the more expensive it is the more precise the weights will be so I am a bit conflicted. T_T

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much. 🙂 I am just a bit conflicted now because I heard the more expensive the more precision there is 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

Even if your cheap scale underestimated the food you weigh by 5%, this wouldn't sabotage your weight loss. The order of magnitude would still be right and it would still be better than guestimating by sight. You are not going to conduct scientific experiments, so you don't need +/- 0.01% accuracy. Get an inexpensive scale now, and upgrade to a fancier one when you can afford it.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

@lmlt wrote:

Haha thank you! The scale looks so cute but the photos are tempting. 🙂

I read that the more expensive it is the more precise the weights will be so I am a bit conflicted. T_T

There is no reason to blow money on that for calories tracking. Precise measurements are more important for advanced chefs for baking. Cheap scales should still be accurate (accurate = how correct), but might be less precise (precise = how many digits). No need to weight below a gram for calories tracking.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

@Dominique @Esya Thank you so much both of you 🙂 I'll get a more affordable one for now since I want to buy a Charge 2 and upgrade when I can afford it. 😄

Best Answer

I have not used the kitchen scales. I have logged my food.That did not work very well for me and weight coming off. For the past few days I have been trying to watch my portion sizes. Also I have been useing a smaller plate. If this doesn't work maybe i will try the scales. Would also like some feed back on this subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gnineWhen starting out weighing is very important. It will tell you what a portion size is

Smaller plates are good I use them. But is what you put on your plate a portion size? That's where the scale comes in

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@gnine wrote:

I have not used the kitchen scales. I have logged my food.

I’m the exact opposite: I don’t log my food, but I use a kitchen scale Smiley LOL. I use it primarily for caloric-dense food like peatnut butter, full-fat cheese, nuts etc. It’s good as an educational tool: for instance, when I cut a slice of cheese, I now know the difference between 15 grams and 25 grams (and the caloric content of these). As @WendyB said, it’s good for setting portion size: for instance, when I make pasta for myself, I use 70 grams of dry pasta, no more. A kitchen scale is probably one of the best investment you can make for weight management.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

I can totally relate to you, I too had the same issue where I couldn't eye ball portion size. What happened was I did all the hard work to workout regularly and eat all clean, though later did I learn that eating clean is part of the equation! To see results you need to certainly keep track of calories you consume. Long story short, too many good calories too is bad if your goal is to loose weight so investing in a scale would be wise especially when you're bad at eye balling portion size.

Best Answer

Thanks Wendy B and Dominique, for input on kitchen scales. Very good information. I will start useing a kitchen scale for portion size and also the smaller plate to see what results i will have.

Best Answer
0 Votes