Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lazy man’s way of securing his veggies

Most of us know how important eating enough veggies on a daily basis is. It’s one of the few things in the field of nutrition all scientists agree on. However, when it comes to putting this into practice, it’s not always that easy: you may not have been able to shop for fresh grocery, do not have the time to prepare them, or have any other excuse to just skip them.

My "secret weapon" are bags of frozen spinach and broccoli I can buy inexpensively (less than 2 euros per bag) at Lidl (German chain of discount stores):

frozen spinach, bag of 750gfrozen spinach, bag of 750gfrozen broccoli, bag of 750gfrozen broccoli, bag of 750g 

The nutritional content is awesome: only about 30 calories per 100g and there’s even some protein:

spinach, nutritional contentspinach, nutritional contentbroccoli, nutrional contentbroccoli, nutrional content

Prep is minimal: I take 250 grams out the bag, put the bag back into the freezer, put the frozen veggies into a saucepan with a cover on and wait until it’s steaming hot:

frozen spinach in saucepanfrozen spinach in saucepanfrozen broccoli in saucepanfrozen broccoli in saucepan

No need for grease: the water from the melting veggies will ensure they don’t stick. When it’s ready, all I add is a tiny amount of salt & pepper and a few drops of hot sauce. Is it gourmet-level gastronomy: certainly not. Does it get the job done: definitely!

I have a large freezer in my basement and I make sure to regularly restock so I always have 3-4 bags of each. I also buy fresh veggies whenever I can, but these are my plan B if I don’t have any handy (or do not have the time to prepare them).

They are especially useful when cutting calories to lose weight: it’s amazing how you can get your wheels spinning and feel full with just 100 calories per portion.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Yep do this myself as well 🙂

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Adding another option.  I take the 750g bags of mixed beans and put them into a foil roasting pan (I can use a number of times with a quick wash, but eventually toss it in the recycling box) with some garlic and herbs tossed in.  Then I roast them, not even sure I'm consistent on time and temperature.  When they are ready I split it into 3 portions.  I'll take one that day and pack the other two into containers in the fridge.  Reheating at a low temperature, or under whatever meat dish works well.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

Thanks for the suggestion, @A_Lurker! I also do green beans (same brand, same size of 750g):

Green beans, frozenGreen beans, frozenDo you put them in the foil roasting pan (thank Google image search to tell non-native speakers what it’s like!) frozen? Do you leave the top open or do you cover them?

I usually boil them in water for about 5 minutes, then put them in a pan with butter (!), garlic and parsley, but I’d like to try your way for a change.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes! I am a huge fan of frozen veggies since I can't be bothered to do meal prep. I like to keep them defrosted in the fridge in portioned containers so I can easily throw them into a pan and they cook quickly. I'll sautee with oil if I can "afford" the calories, or steam/boil if not. 

In the US you can get a mix of peas, corn, green beans, carrots, lima beans for around $1 per pound. This stuff is good for a high volume meal with a little carbs. I'll mix it with chopped broccoli or something for extra volume. Add sliced precooked chicken sausage or boneless/skinless thighs for protein. Super satisfying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Frozen veggies are the way to go. Great ideas!

Fresh veggies do not always last as long. I try to eat more every day.

Garlic powder and other spices are great. I love them all ways. Roasted favorite.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do this too! I love buying frozen veggies because I can just put them back in the freezer for next time. I try to eat vegetables in all my meals. I was thinking of investing in a blender to throw my veggies and fruits inside to have even moreeeeeeeeee vegetables in my diet 🙂

Twenty something nursing student ❤ | Charge 2 | iPhone | Windows 8.1
Best Answer
0 Votes

yes! thought i was the only one that "cheated" this way. they're about 2$ a bag here with 60/cal per bag and i can nuke it in 5 minutes and have a quick and healthy lunch at work! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree frozen veggies are the way to go. I use them often.

I also buy frozen fruit to use at breakfast and to use for smoothies.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique- I leave them uncovered.  This way the beans will dry out slightly while cooking.  You'll end up with some a little brown and some become chewier.  However, I like this texture change.  Ideally you should stir them once in a while, but sometimes I don't bother even doing this.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

lol i use frozen veggies a lot too... 

Best Answer
0 Votes