Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Carb

Can low carb be a a serious lifestyle change or is it just a diet or fad??

Best Answer
0 Votes
16 REPLIES 16

Generally speaking, diets that are restrictive in nature are more difficult to stick to / require higher motivation. Most people who consider a low-carb diet do it because they want to lose weight and believe the low-carb approach will allow them to achieve that goal. It may well be the case, but you have to remember any diet that results in a caloric deficit will do the same. When calories and protein are equated low-carb/high-fat and high-carb/low-fat diets produce exactly the same results (in terms of weight change). And LCHF / HCLF are the extreme, there’s everything in between. Total calories are the main factor, where they come from (in terms of macronutrients) is up to you.

Rather than focusing on macronutrients, most of what you eat should come from minimally processed foods. Eat out less / spend more time preparing your own meals. Most of your meals should be prepared in your kitchen, not in a factory.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

It just comes down to what your goal is! 🙂 What are you trying to achieve?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am exercising regularly, but the weight is just not coming off. I watch what I eat but maybe consuming to many carbs. That's why I was wondering could low carb be a long term solution.

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device
Best Answer
0 Votes

Even with low carb, it still comes down to calories in, calories out. I'm keto, have been long-term, and will remain on it. It's not a fad to me, it's my life now, and it's especially important in handling my husband's diabetes. Low carb isn't a magic fix, it just depends what's going to work for you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you have a calorie guideline that you are following while on keto?  I am finding that I am consuming a ton LESS calories than I had before keto.  My weight loss is slow and I wonder if there is truth in the saying that you still have to maintain a minimum calorie intake or your body thinks it is starving and won't release the fat.  Am I making sense?  I put guidelines into the fitbit tracker for weight loss and it says I should be consuming about 1,800 calories a day.  I am finding I am getting about 900 - 1000 calories a day.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think with any diet or lifestyle change, with or without exercise you should be consuming as a woman at least 1200 calories a day minimum and I believe men are around 1500 to 1800 calories a day for the minimum. But I need to look into it more because trust me I am no expert. I need to find me a calorie guideline to go by has anyone posted one?

Best Answer

Kelloyjo, are you weighing and tracking absolutely everything you eat? You say your weight loss is slow - but over what time period, and with what sort of deficit per day? 

There are people out there who claim eating to TDEE on keto works for them in losing weight, but it makes no sense to me, and does not work for me. I simply use my fitbit to stay near a 1,000 calorie deficit per day, though I have quite a lot to lose, so it's not terribly difficult for me. I weigh daily, and it fluctuates a lot, and oftentimes I get terribly frustrated and seem to think nothing is happening. When I look back over a month's span though, I realize that on average I'm losing 3lbs/week. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am logging everything and even "create" my meals in the tracker with all ingredients used so I make sure the data going in is good.  I just started in April and have had a couple weekends where I fell off the wagon and consumed way too many carbs.  I am down 6 lbs.  I do know that I have also decreased my body fat by 3%.  (I'm not sure how that equates to pounds lost.)  I have been fairly consistent kick boxing / weight lifting 4 - 5 days a week.  I'm not obsessed with the weight loss number- I would just really like to see a little bit of difference in my clothing.  That would help motivate me.  It looks like most days I am at about a 600 calorie deficit. I would say my macronutrients fall around 56% fat, 33% protein and 11% carbs.  Some days are better, some days are worse. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well I am going to try to lower my cab intake and see if that helps. Meal prepping now for work. I got peppers and onion egg white cups, and bacon. Also for lunch I am meal prepping turkey burgers, cube steak, spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, and green beans. The meat portions are at 4 to 6 oz and the vegetables are at a cup to a cup and a half. Also prepping dinner, cod one night and shrimp the next.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Trying to lower my carb intake day one starts tomorrow, meal prepping now!! Turkey Patty, cube steak, spinach, mushrooms, zucchini

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Kellyjo0414 wrote:

I would say my macronutrients fall around 56% fat, 33% protein and 11% carbs. 

I’m not versed in the ketogenic diet, but your protein intake sounds quite high (for being in ketosis). Google "gluconeogenesis". It’s the pathway by which excess protein is converted to carb, which can throw you out of ketosis.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 1 on Low Carb in the books yesterday. Didn't do to bad I don't think my macronutrients were at 41% fat, 50% protein and 9% carbs that was at 1295 calories yesterday.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great!  They say sometimes in the first week you can feel "sickish".....but don't give up!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Keep it up Danny!:)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, it can! But remember to consult a professional before you begin. Any diet should be indicated and accompanied by a qualified professional. By combining proper nutrition with regular exercise, it is possible to have a much better quality of life.

Flavio | Brazil

Versa, Ionic, One, Charge 2, TrendWeight, Codigo | Windows 10, OS X 10.13.6 | iPhone 8 Plus (iOS 11.3)

Best Answer
0 Votes