Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macronutrient proportions for weight loss?

I'm currently engaged in a 6-week challenge with a local gym, and part of this challenge includes sticking to a personalized meal plan. Per my meal plan, I'm supposed to be eating 6oz of lean protein 3x a day, which I feel is a lot for me. I don't have carbs/starches at dinner, and in 3 weeks I've only lost 3 pounds by following this plan to a T and by working out 4-5 days a week. I'm currently 224 and looking to lose about 20 pounds by the end of February, anyone have any input if this protein proportion is too much or too little? Just not seeing the progress coming from the kitchen.

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Welcome to the community, @SunsetRunner! Calories are the primary driver for fat loss, macronutrients come second. For more information, you may want to check this other topic.

Your protein intake recommandation should probably read: 6oz of lean protein source (e.g. chicken breast, egg whites etc.), which would translate into 36 grams of protein. Yes, 36 grams of protein per meal is quite a lot, if you are not used to it. OTOH, I’m currently eating 126 grams of protein per day (spread over 5-6 meals) and I’m only about 60 kg (132 lb). The idea in consuming a high amount of protein in a fat loss is: 1) to help preserve existing muscle, 2) to promote satiety. However, your total calories are what will determine your weight loss.

One pound per week is not bad at all. If you continue at the same pace, you will have lost 11-12 lb by the end of February. Think of the process instead of the end goal: it doesn’t matter whether you reach your goal in February or in May.

Also take into account the impact of your hormonal cycle on weight fluctuation. And don’t use the number on the scale as the sole indicator of progress. Also take body measurements, for instance.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a health and wellness coach and I actually just hired a personal trainer and the macros are so confusing to me as well.  She has me eating 165 grams of protein a day and 170 grams of carbs - I wish there was a way to enter your own plan on your fit bit -do you know if there is a way to do that and btw Ill gladly support your journey  

friend me and we can hold each other accountable 

Best Answer
0 Votes