Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nutritional Facts Error

It has been so difficult to keep track of caloric intake when the nutrition facts on the Fitbit app are incorrect. Finding out the facts are incorrect when I have the product in front of me is one thing. At least I can correct that. But when I search for a product that I don't have in front of me, how do I know that those facts are correct? 

To then be told to use MyFitnessPal by Fitbit Support Team is  completely unacceptable.

I believe there's two ways to move forward on this, there should be an option within the Fitbit app itself to hit nutrition information is incorrect. This will inform the appropriate team on the error. A second and less fortunate option would be to remove caloric tracking from Fitbit altogether.

here's an example of an incorrect product. Thanks! 15328863740791780452520.jpg

Screenshot_20180728-194514.png

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

I seriously doubt if Fitbit maintains its own nutrition database. They likely get the information from the FDA. Fitbit certainly can't be expected to check every item frequently to see if the nutrition has changed.

Myfitnesspal has the same incorrect data for this item.

There is a third option: Recognize no system is perfect and deal with it. 

Best Answer

You make a valid point. I appreciate your input. 

Another option: with the world becoming more dependent on computers and consumer feedback, I think a business could easily program any fitness nutrition app to allow for the consumer to state if the current information is incorrect. I realize a lot of people may abuse this system therefore causing faulty feedback.

I have been "dealing" with the errors in nutrition fact for almost 2 years. There just comes a point where I feel a little frustrated. Especially like I said when it comes to entering nutrition facts for a product I don't have in front of me.

Have a great week! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cstalcup02,

My last sentence may have been a bit rude. Sorry.

Keep in mind, Fitbit has a limited staff. They must focus on the things that will make them the most money. Scouring the nutrition values for errors is kind of fruitless as manufacturers are changing them all the time. You may have better luck if you learn to scan the labels using your phone.

Most people don't buy more than about 50 or so food items. If you check labels each time you buy, you will memorize them without effort. Then you will recognize when they raise the price while reducing the quantity and quality. With the cheese, it looks like they use a higher fat milk in their "reduced fat" cheese that is 60% nutrient-free milk fat. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have started just manually entering the nutritional details about the foods I log. Since I generally eat the same basic things, just in different combinations, I create the food, add the nutrition info, and add it to my personal database ("favorites"). Then I know I can just log those that I've created and it's accurate. *shrug*

Best Answer

Thanks. I agree, Fitbit most likely piggy backs off MyFitnessPal, who gets it from the USDA. they probably have very limited staff like you mention who reviews any of these values.

I do scan with the bar code when possible. And I don't have an issue correcting the values that are incorrect. My biggest concern comes when there is no value, for example fresh baked goods or meals at WholeFoods or Fresh Market. I love the Texas Caviar from freshmarket. and there is no available barcode because it is made fresh there. How can I trust the value from Fitbit when so many of there calories are incorrect. 😞  I usually search the web and work with the average calorie that I can find. Thanks again for all your input!

Best Answer
0 Votes

THANK YOU! I also have made custom foods. I found a wonderful website where you enter the ingredients and it gives you the nutritional value of the food. IE. my home made banana oatmeal bars!

Best Answer

SHARE PLEASE SO I CAN CALCULATE HOW BAD THOSE BROWNIES I MADE LAST NIGHT ARE!!! Smiley LOL

Best Answer
0 Votes