Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plant-based KETO

Just saw this article on Dom D'agostino's Keto Nutrition blog. 

For those interested in Keto while nourishing the gut biome and avoiding animal products, this may be a way to have your cake and eat it too. 

Oh wait, more like don't have your cake and don't eat it either.

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

The ketogenic diet and plant-based approaches to eating don’t really seem to intersect (based on lack of follow-up on this topic)! I kind of understand this, as most proponents of plant-based likely wouldn’t want to drastically restrict the number of fruits they can eat (what, no more bananas, grapefruits, pears, mangos, apples... are you out of your mind?!). And since keto is about eating primarily fats, there’s only so much olive oil and so many avocados you can get down your throat. Getting enough protein from real food is also tricky, as most plant-based foods that contain a reasonable amount of protein also contain too many carbs for keto. Bottom line: plant-based keto is merely a theoretical possibility, it’s too unpractical for real life.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique - my experience has been that when I tried to eat more greens and vegetables at every meal (in an effort to increase fiber and prebiotics), it knocked me out of ketosis, slowed my weight loss, and increased my cravings.  And I was still eating a moderate amount of animal derived food for fat and protein.

However, that was my experience, and I may have a relatively low tolerance for carbs to remain in ketosis.  My understanding that others can sustain ketosis at higher carb levels, so I can't conclude it would be impractical for all others.

Last thought -- intermittent fasting could make it more feasible -- I'm now eating One Meal A Day, including a moderate amount of greens and vegetables, relatively low meat, and I'm deeper in ketosis than ever.

Best Answer
0 Votes