Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Stupid Question - Cooked chicken.

Hey there, I usually bulk cook my meals to last me 2-3 days and recently I've been seeing people who prep for the entire week. I'm a little worried about how long chicken can last once it's been cooked (when kept refrigerated.)

Right now I'm having to cook every Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun but would love to cut it down to at least half and was curious to how long once chicken, beef and turkey mince had been cooked, how long would it be SAFE to leave in a sealed container in a fridge. I'm aware it'll lose quality over time, but is there a way to get it to last longer, fresher, and just really cook down the cooking times I've got.

One friend cooks, then re-freezes it but to me that's a big NO for reheating/defrosting and wondered if there's a way around this. Sorry if I'm repeating myself, just very confused!

I mix from using fresh chicken to frozen chicken depending how much month is left at the end of payday but any help, advice and tips would be very appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

I have seen recommendations that you eat cooked poultry within 3 - 4 days if you keep it refrigerated, I believe it is the same with beef. I occasionally stretch it to 5. You should be able to meal prep twice a week with no problems rather than the 4 you currently are doing.

Best Answer

4 days is usually the max for me with any poultry or meat once it has been cooked to give to the kids. For me and the hubs we are usually OK with a day 5 but no more than that. So far so good...

As long as you cook it to temperature and your fridge is cold enough, fewer prep is just fine.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Do you find the quality at all seems to decrease? Chicken going dry/tough/hard the longer you leave it? I'll give it a go, I think I'm more worried about the risk of food poisoning than it being a little shoddy and gristly though!

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can safely cook raw/defrosted raw chicken, freeze it (up to 6 months) and then defrost it and use it.  

Once cooked and placed in the fridge, it is not advisable to use after 4 days.  I would not -refreeze chicken at this point.  The only time I would refreeze is when it is cooked/cooled and then placed right in the freezer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here's a link to a chart with a bunch of foods listed.   https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/storagetimes.html

Best Answer
0 Votes