Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protein Powder consumption

ANSWERED

Is it okay to take protein powder for long time, say over 20 months, daily ...? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Protein powder isn't bad for you in moderation, as protein is essential for muscle growth and recovery. An average meal may not have the ideal amount of protein your body needs so protein shakes fill in that gap. If you have sedentary life style, I would recommend between 0.30 0.40g of protein per 1 lb. of body weight for maintaining now for athletes you would have to raise that  0.70 to 0.89 g of protein per 1 lb. of body weight for those trying to build muscle. If you keep track of your protein intake from whole foods and protein supplements, you can ensure you don't exceed these recommendations. Do look at each label as there are some brands that may have more protein in it but also fillers and excess sugars in them.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

It's not ever ok to take protein powder. You don't need it and it has MANY harmful effects.

Best Answer

It depends on WHICH protein powder you're taking, and whether you're taking it as a supplement, rather than your "entire" protein dietary component. 

If you're using one that is organic and plant or dairy based, as a supplement, then it shouldn't cause a problem. Also, the flavor and texture additives are where the "iffy" ingredients are going to become part of the concern. 

I use an organic, unflavored raw vegan protein powder occasionally. - from Garden of LIfe. The flavored versions always seem to have artificial sweeteners and flavors. I've tried plain whey based protein powder and they seem to have a "cooked milk" flavor. The plant based ones seem more "neutral" in taste. I can add it to whatever I'm drinking and it doesn't change the taste as much.

Best Answer

@Rohitgupta wrote:

Is it okay to take protein powder for long time, say over 20 months, daily ...? 

Meal replacement or recovery?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, LionLady, having done a little searching, I settled on a product called Tsogo, touted to be a healthy meal replacement powder. Don't use it every day, only when my weight gets ahead of me (can only endure so much exercise with COPD). I'm curious about the powder you are using.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's just a supplement 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm using whey Dairy based protein  powder as a supplement. Some of my frds are telling me that it can affect your health later that's why I was worried .... since I have started taking it I exercise longer and fell less tired afterwards ... it may be placebo effect ... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rohitgupta wrote:

I'm using whey Dairy based protein  powder as a supplement. Some of my frds are telling me that it can affect your health later that's why I was worried .... since I have started taking it I exercise longer and fell less tired afterwards ... it may be placebo effect ... 

Personally, I only use it when I know I've overdone it or it was a hard effort day (when I know I need a boost in recovery) usually before bed.

If you are eating regular healthy meals and not using it as a long term meal replacement, I don't see any problem.

Best Answer

Protein powder isn't bad for you in moderation, as protein is essential for muscle growth and recovery. An average meal may not have the ideal amount of protein your body needs so protein shakes fill in that gap. If you have sedentary life style, I would recommend between 0.30 0.40g of protein per 1 lb. of body weight for maintaining now for athletes you would have to raise that  0.70 to 0.89 g of protein per 1 lb. of body weight for those trying to build muscle. If you keep track of your protein intake from whole foods and protein supplements, you can ensure you don't exceed these recommendations. Do look at each label as there are some brands that may have more protein in it but also fillers and excess sugars in them.

Best Answer
Thank you for your insight. Being new to Fitbit regimen, I'm still
casting about looking for a doable routine that works for me.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Eating regular healthy meals? That's not going to happen. For me,
relying on a good supplement fills in the gap, helps keep me from eating
as much junk food and helps me lose weight. I'm not as active at 74 as I
used to be but still have the appetite of a teenager and need to control
it.
Best Answer

I'm just a regular person who is trying to live a healthy lifestyle and do not claim to have any special knowledge or education about health and food topics.  However...... 

Because it's not possible for me to get the recommended (by my MD) grams of protein daily by eating whole food alone, I supplement with a protein shake each day.  My preferred brand is Unjury as it is a whey protein ISOLATE rather than a CONCENTRATE, therefore, it has fewer carbohydrates and not all the additives found in the CONCENTRATE formulas.  I've been using Unjury for about 2 1/2 years now without any negative side effects and all my blood work comes back great.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's not possible to not get enough protein by eating whole food. You only need about 10% of your calories from protein.

It takes more than 2 1/2 years for the negative side effects to appear. None these negative effects will affect blood work.

Best Answer