Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protein Shakes vs. Meal Replacement Shakes

ANSWERED

I have done a bit of research with Dr. Google on this subject, but what I've found has been inconclusive.

Is there really a difference between a protein shake and a meal replacement shake? For example, I usually make a shake in the morning - a scoop of Slim Fast Advanced Nutrition powder and 8oz fat free milk. I was making it with Almond Milk after a bout of food poisoning had me incorrectly assuming that I had a dairy sensitivity, but have gone back to making it with milk because I like the extra kick of protein I get from cow's milk. Anyway, I do this in the morning because I don't like to eat breakfast in the mornings but I know that in order to keep myself balanced throughout the rest of the day, I really need to be better about it. Also, I'm considering having a protein/meal replacement shake at night in lieu of a regular dinner on nights that I lift, since I'm lifting heavier now and feel like I need a bit of a protein boost after my workouts to help with DOMS and to aid in recovery and, again, to put something in my stomach. After I lift, I'm never really HUNGRY, but end up eating at least a little something, because I know if I don't I'll wake up STARVING in the middle of the night and go for the quickest, easiest thing which is inevitably.........cookies. Not gonna lie.

I digress.

I recently found the Premiere Protein shakes at my local grocery store, on sale, and was wondering if there's any difference betwixt the two and if one is more beneficial than the other. I've done some label comparisons, and they both look pretty much the same (a bit more protein in the protein shake, a bit less potassium in one....fewer calories in the other....less fat in one....etc etc).

Thoughts, FitBitters?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Like @Dominique i eat protein powder as part of my diet.  Usually some type of unflavored grass-fed whey in the morning and a slower digesting version in the evening — pea or casein.  (Amounts depend on whether I am trying to gain or lose weight, but the powders are pretty much 100% protein, so 4 cal/gram).  I add my own flavor so I don’t have to worry about added sugar or whatever else a ‘shake’ vendor might throw in.  Usually it is 1/2 cup of whole milk yogurt mixed with half a cup of frozen berries or mango.  It all comes in at between 200-300 cals.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

I personally try to minimize consumption of shakes, especially when I’m dieting (as now), and to favour solid food instead. I do have a workout shake on weight lifting days (5 days a week), but I use unflavoured whey isolate protein as the main ingredient, and only add fast-digesting carbs (dextrose) and coffee (for the taste). The rest of my protein intake (4 x 25g) comes from things like cottage cheese (breakfast), eggwhites and meat. 25g of protein from a real food source keeps me full way better than shakes or meal replacements. I would avoid SlimFast and proprietary blends. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Like @Dominique i eat protein powder as part of my diet.  Usually some type of unflavored grass-fed whey in the morning and a slower digesting version in the evening — pea or casein.  (Amounts depend on whether I am trying to gain or lose weight, but the powders are pretty much 100% protein, so 4 cal/gram).  I add my own flavor so I don’t have to worry about added sugar or whatever else a ‘shake’ vendor might throw in.  Usually it is 1/2 cup of whole milk yogurt mixed with half a cup of frozen berries or mango.  It all comes in at between 200-300 cals.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Thanks, fellas!

Best Answer