Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recipes and Ideas for liver issues/cholesterol/trying to lose weight

This group is for trading ideas and recipes, and sharing info about trying to lose weight with minor health issues. I was recently told I have a fatty liver (non-alcohol related) due to poor diet, and my triglycerides are high, and cholesterol isn't great, but it needs some improvement.

I also have severe acid reflux. Which throws a wrench in everything.

I need to lose 50 pounds, and just eating healthy isn't an option. There are many things I cannot eat;

• red meat
  • anything made of flour
  • anything with a substantial amount of sugar
  • anything moderately high in sodium, fat, and calories
  • fried foods
  • a lot of different kinds of fruit I cant have
  • too many greens - as this makes my reflux really severe

So, with that being said, I am looking to chat with and make new friends who also have weight loss goals, but have issues that make this dieting thing even more difficult. Maybe we can share stories, recipes, suggestions, etc...

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

@Valarie03, I am a little confused by two statements you make:  "fatty liver due to poor diet", and "eating healthy isn't an option". I can understand that fatty liver is due to a poor diet, but I cannot understand why eating healthy isn't an option.  I was diagnosed as Type II Diabetic, and with high cholesterol and high triglycerides. After going over treatment option s with my Internal Medicine Doctor, it became clear that the ONLY option for me was healthy eating and exercise. I am no longer Type II Diabetic (now pre-diabetic), and no longer have high cholesterol nor triglycerides.  The things you say you cannot/will not eat seem to fit in with eating healthy meal planning. As you lose weight, towards your 50# weight-loss goal, you will find the reflux greatly diminishes or disappears.

Best Answer

Hi Larry, thanks for writing. When I stated "eating healthy" isn't an option, I meant "someone just telling me to "eat healthy" isn't an option because there are a lot of "healthy" foods that I cannot have.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also, in my initial post, notice it says "just" eating healthy isn't an option. Because often when you tell people you have health issues, their immediate response is, oh just eat healthy and things will work out. Maybe I should have clarified that or explained that a little more in my initial post. Hope you understand now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Valarie03

Here are my thoughts when reading through your list:

• red meat I don't eat
  • I could easily skip this as I hardly eat bread or pasta
  • I cook fresh from scratch, so no need to worry about sugar
  • I cook fresh from scratch, so I know how much sodium and fat I add
  • I hardly eat fried foods, there are so many ways to prepare food: boiling, steaming, grilling etc.
  • Try to eat the fruits you can have
  • Go easy on the greens

You might wonder what I do eat then. For animal proteins I eat a bit of fish, cheese (you might want to skip that due to the sodium) and eggs, but overall I limit them in my diet. I eat a lot of plant based proteins like beans, lentils, quinoa, couscous etc. They are easy to flavour with onion, garlic and stock to name a few examples. Then add the greens you can have (type and amount) and make it complete with a starch like potatoes and grains (rice, farro, barley etc.). That is a complete healthy meal.

I also started using almond milk instead of cow milk. This might also be an option for you if you want to have anything like cereals or oatmeal.

And you are right that it is not just eating healthy, it is also about exercise 🙂 .

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Awesome thank you for all the info!!!!! I wish I had the time to cook from scratch. I just don't. I'm a very busy Mom of two preteen boys, I'm in school full time, I own a business and I work part time as a server. My husband does the cooking. Thankfully though he takes my dietary needs into consideration for which I'm so grateful. 

Anyhow, thanks again for the info!!! God how I wish there were fast food restaurants that were healthy options instead of crap food. 

Best Answer

@Valarie03

There are plenty of recipes that are faster to cook than to go to a fast food restaurant. In 15 mins you can cook something. But I am glad your husband is taking good care of you by cooking for you.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

So with the exception of the last two things, the items you can't eat are all things you shouldn't eat. So most everything else is good not just from a health perspective but also for your dietary needs. Lean protein comes in so many different ways: fish, chicken, pork, turkey, dairy, beans, grains- the list is huge. There are other ways to get "green" vitamins you just have to do the research. You can look on the internet for macro and micro nutrient comparisons and sub out. I am a mom of two, my daughter is on a diet, my son has to make weight for wresting and my husband decided he wants to lose weight too and I work full time and I take care of the home and do all the cooking- I just choose what to cook from the tried and true healthy things we all agree on. Yes, there are some variations between what I cook for me vs them, but the staples are the same. This is a priority for us- so I don't let things get in the way. This comes first.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

The thing that will effect cholesterol most is eating refined carbohydrates and sugars - the less you eat the better your cholesterol will be - plus the rest of the health benefits! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Most chronic diseases can be completely cured and irradiated by exercise and a diet low in sugar and high in healthy fats and proteins with plenty of vegetables. Physically and mentally magical. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for sharing this info! I wonder if you have anything else to share with the rest of the world about liver health?

Best Answer
0 Votes