Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Say what?! Food log weird stuff

Hey Fitbit, why does my 8oz black coffee have 5g of saturated fat!? 
I have found inconsistencies in the food log foods that are available, but this one really frustrates me. I've been adding an extra 5g of fat -good or not- into my diet for weeks now and it's already hard enough to maintain a consistent percentage of Fat/Carbs/Proteins.

How can I trust the rest of the logs??

But back to the question: WHY is there 5 g of fat in a fitbit black coffee?

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

First off, 5 milligrams is 0.5% of a gram, so we are talking about a miniscule amount of nutrient here. And yes, there’s fat in coffee beans: I clearly notice it when I grind them. Anyway, if you are tracking your food, you should look at the big picture, not the minute details. Fractions of grams are for micronutrients, things like vitamins, minerals etc. Fats go into macronutrients, things that are usually measured in tens or hundreds of grams. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

Thank you for your opinion.

I actually mistyped my post. I meant to write 5 GRAMS. Which is a significant difference. 

FTR, I am looking at the big picture, this was just a question as to why fitbit puts coffee as having 5 grams of fat.

Again, this is a question as to why Fitbit logs it as having 5 grams of fat, not whether or not I wish to consume it.

Cheers

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Joeshe - welcome to the community.  I've found that most of the values in the food database are pretty close, but occasionally one will be obviously off, like your coffee entry.  I could be wrong, but I think that Fitbit's food database has various sources, including entries made by users like you and me.  

By the way, I looked at my coffee entries and they don't include the 5 grams of fat, so I suspect you are choosing a different black coffee - somebody may have created it assuming it included cream.

Obviously, if information comes from different uncontrolled sources, accuracy will suffer.  But the upside is the database will have many more entries, including the thousands of restaurant items.  If you are looking for a more tightly controlled database, my impression is that FatSecret is more accurate.  Also, many people here use MyFitnessPal for food tracking, as it integrates with Fitbit.  I believe it has more detailed macro and micro-nutrient information, but I don't know if it is more accurate than Fitbit's database. 

Best Answer

@Daves_Not_Herewrote:

Also, many people here use MyFitnessPal for food tracking, as it integrates with Fitbit.  I believe it has more detailed macro and micro-nutrient information, but I don't know if it is more accurate than Fitbit's database.  

My understanding is MyFitnessPal includes lots of entries contributed by users, so you may also need to take them with a grain of salt ...

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes