Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sugar intake - natural vs. added sugar questions

ANSWERED

The American Heart Association lists the daily "added sugar" limit they recommend here. For a male, it's 36g per day.

As someone trying to watch their sugar intake, I can't imagine this being TOO difficult if I try to eat more food with "no added sugar" - like fruit, milk, RxBars, etc.

That said, I can't imagine I can go crazy on that stuff either. How do I know where to draw the line when eating natural sugar?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Natural sugars are not usually much of a problem, @benjaminsweet, since they are processed much slower and differently after consumed.  When I was working on getting out of Type 2 Diabetes, my main concern was the glycemic index of foods, not the sugar content.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

@benjaminsweet wrote:

As someone trying to watch their sugar intake, I can't imagine this being TOO difficult if I try to eat more food with "no added sugar" - like fruit, milk, RxBars, etc.

As a former Type 2 Diabetic, and now a Pre-Diabetic, I would suggest that the most important thing is to watch for "hidden" sugars in canned/processed foods.  "No added sugar" does not mean that it does not have a lot of sugar in it.  In addition to the common names like sugar, syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, fructose, lactose and maltose, some of the less apparent sugar names on labels include carbitol, concentrated fruit juice, corn sweetener, diglycerides, disaccharides, evaporated cane juice, erythritol, Florida crystals, fructooligosaccharides, galactose, glucitol, glucoamine, hexitol, inversol, isomalt, maltodextrin, malted barley, malts, mannitol, nectars, pentose, raisin syrup, ribose rice syrup, rice malt, rice syrup solids, sorbitol, sorghum, sucanat, sucanet, xylitol and zylose.

Best Answer

Right on, thanks for the answer. Much appreciated.

How do I know where to draw the line when talking strictly about natural sugars, though?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Natural sugars are not usually much of a problem, @benjaminsweet, since they are processed much slower and differently after consumed.  When I was working on getting out of Type 2 Diabetes, my main concern was the glycemic index of foods, not the sugar content.

Best Answer

Thank you for the info 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes