Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supplements -- which ones are you taking?

I'm curious which supplements people are taking, and for what reasons.  Here's my mix:

• Fish oil - increase Omega 3 fatty acids
  • Baby aspirin - thin blood
  • Vitamin D -- to compensate for sun screen
  • Multivitamin - insurance policy, probably a waste
  • Magnesium Citrate -- to avoid keto electrolyte deficiency
  • Magnesium - Slow 64 - recommended by Phinney
  • Potassium -- to avoid keto electrolyte deficiency, probably a waste as my greens and veggies are high
  • Probiotic gummies -- increase good gut bacteria, I have no idea if these survive the trip through my small intestine
  • Fiber gummies - originally to combat keto-induced issues, probably now a waste as my greens and veggies are high
  • Sodium -- adding liberally to food - to avoid keto dehydration

Would love hearing if there are other supplements that people consider to be essential.

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

Hello Dave,
That's a very interesting list, personally, I only take one supplement, which is whey protein, to compensate those days where my protein intake from food is not enough for my daily goal, so it's kinda essential as my country's cuisine is not that big on high-protein foods as most of it is based on vegetables.

Mahmoud Hany
Best Answer

Vitamin C

Vitamin D

Fish Oil

Calcium

Potassium on occasion

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

This is my arsenal of supplements:

digestive enzyme (breakdown carbs & proteins better)

probiotic (gut health)

fish oil (bones and heathly fats)

spirulina (immunity boost)

DIM (hormones)

Caltrate (Magnesium-Vit D-Calcium) (doctors orders)

I also use BCAAs and whey protein around my workouts

🙂

Best Answer

I take Thrive Supplements. 

- 2 Pills in the morning
- A shake
- All day nutrition patches

After I work out I take Form which is a collagen supplement!

Best Answer

I've just recently started taking Vitamin D and a combination Zinc/Magnesium/Calcium supplement. It's supposed to be good for anxiety issues related to Asperger's or so says a friend. I am skeptical but it doesn't hurt anything, and I know I need the vitamin D since it's cold so I no longer sit out on the steps and read while the cats play in the yard like I do in summer. Vitamin D deficiency contributes to low energy which I always have when I don't get out enough and also interrupts my non-existent circadian rhythm even further. Plus the calcium is good at my age just for insurance.

Best Answer

Protein supplement (JYM)

Pre-workout supplement (JYM)

Post workout Supplement (JYM)

Multi-Vitamin (JYM)

Fish oil or flaxseed oil if I don’t eat enough fats.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i use krill oil(helps lower bad cholesterol and raise good one), Apple cider vinegar(has helped in my weight loss) both in capsule form and ground flaxseed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Each morning -

1 x salt capsule

1 x D3 capsule

That's all.

Allie
Best Answer
0 Votes

All I take is 2 multi-vitamins and green tea extract. I have been thinking about adding fish oil into the mix as well. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I take:

• coffee (for caffeine, does it qualify as a supplement?)
  • fish oil (for Omega 3 and vitamin D)
  • vitamin D (live under a high Northern latitude)
  • multivitamin (probably don’t need it, as I eat a pretty diverse diet, so more of an insurance policy)

That’s about it.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't take any supplements. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@HokieHoowrote:

I don't take any supplements. 

This is fine if you’re confident you’re getting everything from your diet or otherwise!

Not necessarily the case for everyone with things like vitamin D.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique Yes. I imagine it changes for people depending on where they live, maybe the season, age, individual health records, etc. I just wanted to contribute to the variety of answers.

I have briefly thought about supplements but I can't tell the snake oil from helpful things that actually work. So until I feel like I have a particular deficiency I need to address, I am sitting on the sidelines reading other people's experiences and tucking the info away for a later date.

Like you, I also drink coffee as a stimulant. I also regularly eat fermented foods (homemade sauerkraut, kimchi, fermented pickles, etc) for digestive health- but I don't consider that a supplement- it is part of my regular smorgasbord of food that I eat.

Best Answer
0 Votes