Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tricks to feeling satisfied

Hey! I was wondering if anyone had any good tricks or habits to feeling satisfied from what you have eaten? 

The few that I use:

Salads with lots of leafy greens, good amount of color & texture variation -- Use Apple Cider Vinegar and olive oil to make it satisfying and a little sharp in taste

Eating slowly over the course of half an hour to an hour

Make a low-cal semi-sweet dessert like over-night Chia pudding and in season fruit 

Brushing teeth shortly after a meal

I also know not to add honey or sugar to my tea / coffee because I'll keep coming back for more. 

Some help with other ideas? 

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Anything real, meaning not low-cal or sugar free, processed, will leave you feeling satisfied and energized. Be wary of feeling full, that often means heavy or low energy. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

staying well hydrated through out the day. sometimes we can tell the difference between hungry and thirsty. I also find if I eat around the same time every day it helps me to know whether its really time to eat or I need a tall glass of water..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Agreeing with @emili on the water.  If you drink 8 glasses of water a day, it's hard to get very hungry.

Also, eat an avocado per day.

Finally, avoid snacking on foods that spike hunger, such as chips, cereal, bread, sweets, and raisins.  If you must snack, pick foods designed to reduce hunger such as nuts.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Eat veggies/fruit at the start of a meal so by the time you get to the calorie heavy or carb portion, you're not as hungry so you don't feel the need to go back for seconds.

Bowl/Plate size - Some of my meals will be small bowls and salad plates instead of everything piled high on one plate.  It makes it feel more substantial when I have a bunch of things on individual plates - plus I can keep my carb or high calorie item on a small plate without feeling deprived because I have so many things to eat on individual plates/bowls. 

If I'm really craving something sweet for dessert I will wait at least half an hour after a meal before I eat it...it gives my body a chance to send out those satiety chemicals so a small portion of dessert satisfies way more than it would if I was still physically/chemically hungry.

I still snack.  I've found that I do best with 3 meals + 2 snacks on a work day.  On a day off I have 3 or 4 snacks - just with fewer calories or at least 2 or 3 of them being healthy choices like carrots with plain yogurt as a dip rather than 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream or a granola bar.  Because I have a 50 calorie dessert built into my lunch and a 200 (or more depending on the day) calorie dessert built into my dinner...I know I get sweet treats so I don't feel deprived or crave every dessert on the shelf.  I just have to plan ahead if I want a really calorific dessert by choosing a filling but lower calorie dinner or lunch to offset my dessert.

Sometimes I just want a LOT of something so I'll choose low calorie options that are filling to fill those cravings.  Air popped popcorn with just a dab of melted butter works....a pint of baby carrots with plain yogurt or two oranges works too.  It takes a while to eat so you get that hand to mouth action that helps for those insatiable times....and by the time you're full you haven't eaten more than a two or three hundred calories.

Best Answer